BvS What Went Wrong w/ Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (SPOILERS) - Part 1

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by Thread Manager, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djsunyc Sidekick

and you just know zach is gonna have ww and bats shag...

2. The Guard Avenger

Most people take years to master their jobs.

Superman's job is more or less being the world's savior.

I think two years in it's legitimate for him not to know everything there is to know about that.

It's pretty clear that much of the exploration of this character in this franchise has to do with him navigating the difficulties of such a task.

#927 The Guard, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  3. The Guard Avenger

This. It's not about Superman's humanity so much as Batman recognizing his own inhumanity.

4. matt47 Avenger

But the way he saved people hasn't changed. He still crashes through roofs and then through a wall with the enemy, that's exactly what he did (and got yelled at for) in man of steel. That Africa save scene would have been the perfect time to show how he has grown and changed his methods. He could have just super sped in and grabbed the guys gun before he even knew Superman was there.

5. The Guard Avenger

She thought Doomsday was Kryptonian based on:
    1. The activity at the ship.
    2. The fact that Doomsday was clearly as strong as her Kryptonian boyfriend.
    3. The fact that Doomsday had heat vision.

Even if she was just GUESSING, it would have been worth it.

6. The Guard Avenger

I don't know what to tell you.

It takes time for people to change and grow in their behavior.

And characters don't always do the most logical thing in films. That tends to kill dramatic potential.

7. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

I think the Superman save in the beginning should've been an opportunity to showcase a triumphant Superman scene, at least for the most part. Maybe Clark should have been there as part of the journalistic team but then managed to escape and become Superman. Could have even been an opportunity for a shirt rip. He could've saved lots of innocent civilians but at the last moment something could've happened that painted him in a less flattering light leading people to believe he was reckless again. Then it could've continued as it was in the film.

8. shauner111 Avenger

Obviously you did know what to tell him. :cwink:

9. parkerpete Sidekick

I agree with THE GUARD.

After another $600 million has been spent, and Superman has been recast, and Zack Snyder has been fired, and WB has sold DC properties to a more competent studio, we'll finally see a Superman who's worthy of the name.

JOKER VOICE: 'It's all part of the plaaaaaaaan...'

10. matt47 Avenger

Yes but he hadn't changed at all. I'm not saying I want him to be perfect, but show some development because imo, he Supes went backwards.

11. TheVileOne Eternal

There is no this:

"Even if we believe there's a one percent chance, we have to treat it as an absolute certainty!

12. Mutato Civilian

If I never again heard the BS that the reason Snyder's Superman is so un-Superman-like is because he's "still learning," it would be too soon.

13. Predator jp blast from the past

he will be full Superman in JL2. you can't expect him to be one in JL1. he just got back from the dead, he needs some time.

14. Logan0327 Sidekick

once that africa scene hit i just knew that sndyer didn't get superman

could of superspeed towards lois ,grab her away and break the criminals gun even superman returns had clark take a bullet to the eye and not hurt the criminal

15. Jaxon Sidekick

But that Superman in Singer's movie decided to go thwart a bank robbery instead of you know, stop someone getting mugged or raped or whatever. So you know.

16. Logan0327 Sidekick

superman returns also has these beautiful scenes
    [YT]fcLAdQwMR3A[/YT]
    [YT]rvJEvEvzr9g[/YT]

but according to snyder his superman teaches himself to block it all out

17. Loki882 Avenger

He doesn't "block it out." He's just humble enough to accept that it's impossible to save everyone, everywhere, and all times, even for him. He just does the very best that he can, and if anything uses those "voices" to remind himself that he isn't actually an infallible invincible god who can do anything.

18. FunkMiller Failed Experiment

So you'd agree that Snyder writes a character's story to suit his dramatic needs, rather than creating a believable, logical arc?

19. MrsKent26 Whatever.

It seems to me that Snyder bends characters to suit an idea or plot he finds provocative. I prefer characters to drive the plot instead, especially characters whose basic attributes are so well known in today's culture.

20. FunkMiller Failed Experiment

It does get to a point when it starts to sound like Superman has special needs.

21. Jaxon Sidekick

His mother teaches him to do it so he's not getting everything like when he was a boy and when Zod and Faora first got it all. Even Zod learns to shut it out. It's clearly shown as something he needs to do due to power levels.

22. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

I think they could've cut out all of Batman's dreams. What purpose did they serve in the movie other than to confuse people and have some indulgent scenes? Having them so often when the plot of the movie is not about Batman having some recurrent nightmares just means that the film is more disjointed with lots of stops and starts.

Also, I wanted to see more of WW fighting. During that final battle, they had to keep cutting to Lois fetching that spear instead of lingering longer on the Amazon warrior beauty taking on the vile beast from hell.

23. jmc away for a while

I'm watching the Supergirl TV show for the very first time. How in the hell BvS can be outdone in terms of pure superhero entertainment by a low budget TV show with a cheesy tone is frankly absurd. I've gotten more enjoyment out of the first 15 mins of the pilot episode than I did the entire 2½ hours of BvS.

24. FunkMiller Failed Experiment

It's largely because it's not scared to embrace its comic book roots. Okay, that can come with a fair slice of cheese along for the ride, but Supergirl, like The Flash wears its history and background with pride.

That's why BvS is bad. There's no pride in these characters. No sense of a celebration of what they are. Just an never-ending ham-fisted attempt to deconstruct, and strip them of all their pulp heroism.

The DC TV universe succeeds in the same way the MCU does... and in the same way that Nolan's movies did. Pride and respect for the source material, that while never perfect, translates into an entertaining show/film, and seeks to do justice to the comics, by representing the characters as accurately as possible within the confines of live action.

25. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

Well admittedly, even Lois and Clark had more of a classic Superman tone than MOS or BvS. If Snyder wants to do a dark Superman, it's not going to be difficult for Supergirl to outdo it. And Supergirl has had some really great episodes with fantastic acting by Melissa Benoist, especially the further it gets into the series. It is far truer to the spirit of Superman than either of the Snyder films.

Also, I think Superman needed a more action-orientated theme. The Hans Zimmer one from MOS that they reused, particularly with the piano intro, seemed only appropriate for the quieter moments. They needed something more heroic and rousing for when he faced Doomsday. I would've liked something like the Supergirl theme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.