What Were Your DISLIKES?

As much as I liked it, my biggest complaint was the repeatedly absurd coincidences needed to move the plot forward, totally ruined the flow
For example:
Scotty just happens to throw a tantrum and quit so he's away from the disabled Enterprise and conveniently close enough to Earth to investigate the random coordinates the villain just happens to give out so Scotty can be on the battleship to disable it just when it's about to fire on the Enterprise?????

not the only thing that comes to mind, but it was things like that that annoyed me
None of those are coincidences. Those actually evolve naturally from what is happening.

I don't think Khan was defeated too easily
He survived a ship crash from space, went on the run, multiple really high jumps, a intense fist fight with Spock, getting shot by Urah's stun gun like 5 times from close range, and finally getting knocked out after repeated blows to the head with a piece of metal.

That's too easy - for everything they set him up to be, that is waaaay too easy.

1. Cumberbatch being Khan instead of anyone else or a completely original character

2. Khan's magical blood

3. Admiral Marcus essentially being the main villain and his plan to start a war against the Klingons

4. Carol Marcus was useless

5. Bones was used a metaphorical comic relief

6. USS Vengeance crashing into San Francisco, killing thousands, yet there's only a funeral for Captain Pike

7. Enterprise taking so much damage and only needs Kirk to kick the reactor back into place and it's good as new

8. Khan vs. Spock was anti-climatic

By the way people revealing the twist with John Harrison need to use spoiler tags. I feel like this is the Mandarin thing all over again where people weren't even being coy about leaking spoilers.

Eh... I dunno. The thread title is framed under the assumption you've seen the movie. If you haven't yet seen it and you chose to read this thread willingly, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I loved the movie, but the only thing I disliked were that Uhura and Chekov were underused. Uhura had her big moment on the Klingon planet, but then it was like she disappeared until the final showdown between Spock and Khan. Chekov probably had less than four minutes of screen time in this, though the red shirt joke was one of the funniest in the film.

Honestly, it was really hard coming up with any dislikes. I thought it was an amazing Trek film.

The only thing I still wish they would do is bring back phasers...rather than the pulse gun effect.

My only real complaint is that Kahn was set up as this big threat in the first half of the movie. And when Prime Spock say' he was our greatest adversary" defeating him came at a great cost" I was thinking the final fight was gonna be epic and intense. I am a new Star Trek fan the 2009 movie really piked my interest so I haven't seen the original wrath of khan so I don't know how he was defeated in that. But the fight with him and Spock was kinda intense but certainly not epic at all and a real letdown. And the movies ending was just okay could have been a little better. But still loved the movie!

Uhura's big moment was what exactly? She failed and didn't really help at all there.

1.) Bones being sidelined. While he had a consistent presence in the film, it never came off as he was an equal to Kirk and Spock. That's a bit of a shame.

2.) Chekov. Poor guy. I swear I think he only spoke to Kirk the entire film, regulated to the basement of the ship!

3.) Carol Markus. She didn't have to be Carol did she? It could've been any made-up character.

Last edited:
Uhura's big moment was what exactly? She failed and didn't really help at all there.

Are you talking about her speaking Klingon or distracting Khan so that Spock could regroup and defeat him.

Yeah the Marcuses didn't need to have anything to do with this movie.

Are you talking about her speaking Klingon or distracting Khan so that Spock could regroup and defeat him.
I mean her on Klingon. She failed big time. If not for Khan they all would've been toast.

Just her speaking Klingon. By big moment, I just mean it was the only scene where Uhura was the main focus.

And it was disappointing because it was her one moment to do something and she failed big time.

She did save Spock at the end, but that was more of a team effort.

I mean her on Klingon. She failed big time. If not for Khan they all would've been toast.

I can see that. I figured something would go wrong the moment she stepped out of the ship though.

Well, I have to say the second half was a bit weak after a strong first half, rest in spoilers.

I thought Cumberbatch was great, but they really didn't give him enough to do. Fairly unsatisfying ending, really. The Admiral, the co-villain, was incredibly underdeveloped. And I guess that would have been okay, if he wasn't the character basically driving the movie's plot.

Also sort of made me wonder what the hell the rest of Starfleet was doing while all this went on. And it went on for a long time too...

Cumberbatch didn't get enough to do.
I agree with this.

Also, I felt that the writing was clunky, in terms of the plot and characters. For example:
- Why was Uhura in the shuttle instead of the away team on Nibilus? Wouldn't her language skills have been better used there?
- How can Kirk suddenly read Khan's motives for blowing up the London Archives after two minutes in a meeting, and no one else thought of this?
- And how can he be so stupid a day later, and not realize when Admiral Marcus is obvious taking advantage of his grief and manipulating him?
- Why does Spock take the time to mind meld with Pike when he could be either a) rescuing other ppl in the room, b) getting medical treatment/performing first aid for Pike?
- What is the war Admiral Marcus is so sure is coming when the Klingons had only conquered 2 other worlds took pot shots at Federation ships?
- Why doesn't Earth have any local security ships?
- And I could go on but I won't
Also,
Pike got fridged. That was such sloppy writing, especially since the first film managed to maneuver him out of the captain's chair without doing the obvious thing of killing him. I loved that he survived the first film, and this just---argh.
This all being said, I still enjoyed the movie. My expectations weren't particularly high. I thought Stark Trek was a fun action movie with a universe that I already had an affection for, so that's pretty much what I allowed myself to expect this time around.
My only real complaint is that Kahn was set up as this big threat in the first half of the movie. And when Prime Spock say' he was our greatest adversary" defeating him came at a great cost" I was thinking the final fight was gonna be epic and intense. I am a new Star Trek fan the 2009 movie really piked my interest so I haven't seen the original wrath of khan so I don't know how he was defeated in that. But the fight with him and Spock was kinda intense but certainly not epic at all and a real letdown. And the movies ending was just okay could have been a little better. But still loved the movie!
See it. It's a classic!

Last edited:
The Earth not having a defense force bugs me. You'd think they would have learned from the last movie. Well, technically they do have armed ships in the vicinity... they just weren't paying attention apparently.

Hell, they even mention setting up a perimeter around Earth... so much for that.

The Earth not having a defense force bugs me. You'd think they would have learned from the last movie. Well, technically they do have armed ships in the vicinity... they just weren't paying attention apparently.

Hell, they even mention setting up a perimeter around Earth... so much for that.

In the next movie, a group of Bajoran priests with crossbows and hockey sticks destroy Starfleet headquarters and kill 250,000 people.

There may have been ships in the area...but the ship attacking the planet was much faster than any of them so it would have blazed right past them, and then it basically just smacked into the ground. There was nothing they could do to stop it.

Scotty can go to Jupiter on a moment's notice, but FTL starships (presumably on high alert) in Earth's orbit can't respond to a firefight in... Earth's orbit?

I would have bought it if the admiral had like ordered the fleet to stand down or something, but instead it just looks like Starfleet didn't notice the two starships duking it out in their front yard (and then one going on a collision course with their capital).

Seriously, if I was living in 23rd century San Francisco, I would move.

Oh yeah...you're totally right. I forgot how long they just sat there near earth.

Scotty can go to Jupiter on a moment's notice, but FTL starships (presumably on high alert) in Earth's orbit can't respond to a firefight in... Earth's orbit?

I would have bought it if the admiral had like ordered the fleet to stand down or something, but instead it just looks like Starfleet didn't notice the two starships duking it out in their front yard (and then one going on a collision course with their capital).

Seriously, if I was living in 23rd century San Francisco, I would move.

That whole thing seemed odd to me. Scotty leaves a bar and flies off to Jupiter in the middle of the night. He could of gotten a dui. ..

Well, the logistics are kind of iffy. How long did it take them to get from the edge of Klingon space to Earth? A few minutes?

Also apparently you can call a person's cellphone in San Francisco from deep space. Must be some phone plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"