The Rise of Skywalker What will Disney do next?

spiderman2

Superhero
Reaction score
So with how the reception and box office went down a lot with TLJ and TROSW i am wondering what do you think Disney will do next when it comes to star wars movies? Do you think they will do episode 10 next? A knights of the old republic, a sith origin movie? Some thing completely different?

I don't think Disney themselves even know.

There’s going to be a new director announced in January. Personally, I think SW’s future lies not on the big screen but on the small-screen — streaming service... Disney Plus. Mandalorian is the best SW anything in quite sometime and easily better than any of the Disney Star Wars flicks, imo. Star Wars doesn’t need movies anymore.

Though obviously there will be more movies after this.

Last edited:
I hope they go far enough into the future where you don't need to reference the Skywalker era at all. I would say at least 100-200 years, get rid of all relatives and relationships to this era. Jedi and Sith and the Force and that's it. Create a new saga, a new story, something that doesn't rely on constant call backs and nostalgia and fanservice. Find a creative mind that can do this and build something that can stand on its own merits and its own identity.

Disney have shown themselves to be cowards with their last 5 movies, I would expect more of the same. No moving forward, just picking some randomn OT character and flogging it to death (eg. the upcoming Obi Wan series). So I would expect a Jabba origins story, or maybe a Sarlacc Pit origins story. Some uninspired idea along those lines.

There’s going to be a new director announced in January. Personally, I think SW’s future lies not on the big screen but on the small-screen — streaming service... Disney Plus. Mandalorian is the best SW anything in quite sometime and easily better than any of the Disney Star Wars flicks, imo. Star Wars doesn’t need movies anymore, imo.

Though obviously there will be more movies after this.
One possibility is to continue to create Disney Plus Star Wars related content, once you get to five successful shows, do a crossover film.

I wouldn't mind a new movie or trilogy with Rey, Finn and Poe as long as they get it firmly mapped out ahead of time. But my guess is they'll stick to standalone movies for a while.

Remnants of the First Order are still out there and there's that well of dark Force energy on Ach-To that could be a factor.

Star Wars X

A movie spin off/prequel imo, isn't a good idea especially with the underperformance of Solo and the critical reception of the Rise of Skywalker. And I think Disney would take note of those. Didn't they already cancel the third Star Wars Story movie spin off after Solo? I can't see them going back to a movie spin off after these last two movies.

The next Star Wars might not feature any of the Skywalkers and the previous film characters but I definitely see them marketing the next movie, as the tenth main Star Wars movie.

Last edited:
Rey is super popular so I can't see them being done with her.

I'm not sure Disney fully know atm, I suspect they are still figuring things out. I expect more of their film ideas to end up as Disney+ series like with Kenobi. They will still make Star Wars films but the ST has made it clear that they need to have a plan and a vision for them before they start to avoid conflicting visions. The films will probably be be single film stories, things that they can expand on to create trilogies but which are self contained enough that the first films can survive without sequels if Disney feel its not successful. Trilogies are big investments, they are more likely to greenlight a single film that could become a trilogy than to greenlight a full trilogy after the ST.

The big thing Disney need to do it to break away from the Skywalker Saga, do something in a different part of the galaxy, in the past or in the future, do something to open up their storytelling options.

Disney have shown themselves to be cowards with their last 5 movies, I would expect more of the same. No moving forward, just picking some randomn OT character and flogging it to death (eg. the upcoming Obi Wan series). So I would expect a Jabba origins story, or maybe a Sarlacc Pit origins story. Some uninspired idea along those lines.

So you are saying you dont expect them to do anything different even though they lost like half there fan base from tfa to trosw

Rey is super popular so I can't see them being done with her.
But didn't they already say that they would stay away from the Skywalkers for the next trilogy? And that was before the reviews and lower box office numbers for The Rise of Skywalker came out.

So with how the reception and box office went down a lot with TLJ and TROSW i am wondering what do you think Disney will do next when it comes to star wars movies? Do you think they will do episode 10 next? A knights of the old republic, a sith origin movie? Some thing completely different?

I think they're gonna slow down ,re-organize, and plan. They'll do what lots of studios do after their most recent franchise film or films polarize the audience and fans, or perform below the studios's expectations.

They're going to listen to the criticisms( at this point , they're really shouldn't be anymore doubts that they are listening ) and regroup.

Regardless of the SW fans who think "nothing is wrong" and those who think that " everything is wrong", its clear Iger and Kennedy feel "something" is wrong , otherwise they wouldn't be making the statements they are. They're basically telegraphing that they plan to change things.

I'm skeptical that they'll end up with a new film for 2022. I suspect when Iger talked about "taking a break" he didn't mean 3 years. That's not really taking a break since that's the about average between most franchise sequels anyway.

I frankly wouldn't be surprised some of the planned films end up as Disney plus+ while they'll likely be much more cautious and conservative when it comes to approving filmmakers and scripts.

I think they'll be less likely to go to the "Hip director/writer" of the moment, but instead, go with people who truly share whatever vision Lucasfilm has.

In other words, they'll stay away from the director/writer driven model ,which they've tried, and instead go to filmmakers who are on the same page, and who know how to operate within the parameters set by Lucasfilm and Disney.

I wouldn't mind a new movie or trilogy with Rey, Finn and Poe as long as they get it firmly mapped out ahead of time. But my guess is they'll stick to standalone movies for a while.

Remnants of the First Order are still out there and there's that well of dark Force energy on Ach-To that could be a factor.
After seeing TRoS, I must say, I want another film with Rey. :atp: :D

They should make a movie about Finn. Have Rey be his mentor, training him in the Force, but have the story focus primarily on him.

I think their next step should be releasing the Abrams cut. :D

I think the film could use some 30 to 60 more minutes to deepen some things about Knights of Ren and such.

Slow right down on the film front. Clear the decks and think of exactly what you want to do; listen to pitches and pick a creative with a good track record to helm 1 film, with eyes on a trilogy if successful. Hiring divisive talent for trilogies ahead of time has reliably made Lucasfilm look foolish. Wait at least 10 years before returning with numbers 10,11,12. And for the love of god prepare a story reason why you're doing them this time.

Allow the Disney+ shows to carry the name for a little while (and hopefully continue to earn goodwill from those). Make sure than Kenobi series doesn't suck. Offer Rian Johnson a series over a film trilogy to minimize financial risk. Convince Filoni and company to produce a new animated series akin to Clone Wars/Rebels, set shortly after ROTJ with Luke/Leia/Han.

Pry that exclusivity deal out of EA's hands and restore some dignity to the games. Maybe even revive 1313 for some credit. Finally get Obsidian working on KOTOR 3, with remakes for the first two on the same engine.

I think their next step should be releasing the Abrams cut. :D

I think the film could use some 30 to 60 more minutes to deepen some things about Knights of Ren and such.

Do we known just how much was cut?

Do we known just how much was cut?
Dunno, but from what I know, they reshot a lot of stuff, had multiple different endings, etc., there's probably a lot of footage which was not in the theatrical cut.

I’m holding out for Jaxxon: A Star Wars Story.

They should steal from Avatar and jump to the Jedi rebuilt after Rey and a schism between factions about how to move forward without her.

Have the next trilogy be more like a Bond level threat.

They should steal from Avatar and jump to the Jedi rebuilt after Rey and a schism between factions about how to move forward without her.

Have the next trilogy be more like a Bond level threat.

Do you want to explain what you mean by Bound level threat?

Do you want to explain what you mean by Bound level threat?
Meaning Star Wars has been a story with planet hopping. And galaxy level threats.

Im talking about bringing it down to one planet and a threat to a single planet, person, or group.

The best thing they can do is a series of Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors movies.

Before i forget the thought let me write it down here.
How about a Wandering jedi, lone Samurai like movie with... Mace windu?

I keep thinking that this could be cool with Jackson returning and playing a old jedi who wanders around and helps people.

His death never felt good to me because it seemed "too easy" and seeing how palpatine could survive a fall into a reactor that exploded and all that...and not forgetting maul too survived a deep fall...why shouldnt windu?

I think the idea is one to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"