What will the S stand for this time?

How about it is part of the Jor-el crest that just happens to resemble our S? People then assume it as the letter S and it works with "Superman"

Well, it seems like a very contrived coincidence. But so is an alien who looks exactly human for no discernible reason.

How about it is part of the Jor-el crest that just happens to resemble our S? People then assume it as the letter S and it works with "Superman"

That still begs the question of why would a guy like Superman, so proud of his heritage that he wears his family crest on his chest, want it to be misinterpreted? Why wouldn't he tell people/the press right off the bat that it ISN'T an "S" and that his name is Kal-El? Better to just avoid portraying it as a Kryptonian symbol in the first place.

Well, it seems like a very contrived coincidence. But so is an alien who looks exactly human for no discernible reason.

Yes, but some contrivances are ESSENTIAL to the mythology, like Kryptonians looking just like humans, Superman being found by the Kents, gaining powers under a yellow sun, being able to disguise himself with a pair of glasses , etc..... The S being a kryptonian symbol isn't essential or even sensible.

What do you guys think the S will mean? Will it be just a sign for Superman, The House of El? Which do you prefer?

"S" stands for SUCK this time cause we got a black dude as Perry White and we got a curly hair actor as Superman

Regrding the issue of "Superman" vs House of El; have a few photographs of him, Lois uses the term "he's a superman" and it headlines before she does her interview with him and finds out what his name is and what the 'S' actually means. The public (and press) will not stop calling him Superman because it's catchy, simple as. Just have Superman get a little annoyed at first, and then accept it because really, there's nothing he can do about it by then. What, ignore that person falling out a plane because he/she's screaming for Superman? "No, until you call me Kal El I will let you fall to your death!" *folds arms and pouts*

You can really have both, and have it make sense too.

Seduction lol seriously how can a toned flying man not be to the ladies Ive always wondered why Sups wasnt. Regarded has some type of dream by the ladies he can pick up a car and run faster than a bullet.

What do you guys think the S will mean? Will it be just a sign for Superman, The House of El? Which do you prefer?

It should stand for house of El and the leader of the house of El should wear it when attending council meetings and the likes.

"S" stands for SUCK this time cause we got a black dude as Perry White and we got a curly hair actor as Superman

Oh great. Now how long before you come up with a clever "Superman Repugnant"-esque name for MoS?

\S/ = Hope.
Agreed. Birthright got that part right, anyways. I think that on his debut appearance, like in "Man of Steel", he is forced to use his powers to save the plane. Lois dubs him a "Superman". When Clark and his parents are designing the suit, because he can't hide anymore, Clark sees the Kryptonian symbol for hope on his ship, and noticing that it looks like an \S/(which is what he thinks it is, too), uses it for his suit.

Last edited:
Speaking of the \S/, I really thought we would see something revealing it before the actual suit.

I'm pretty sure Superman has arguably been depicted as having somewhat wavy/curly hair his entire career. You know, hence the natural S-curl???

I like the S design. The first time that design was used (and other variations of the shield) was between 1941 - 1943.

the guy has a right to his opinion. im not racist and im not happy about the perry casting either.... go figure! :wow:

yeah, i disagree with the casing of perry white and suddenly a (presumably) black Sherlock Holmes came in and ********.

Does anyone think it could be possible to gauge what the S will stand for this time now that we've seen it on the suit? Other forum members have said the S looks like a throw back to the old style designs, when it just meant Superman. Any of have thoughts?

Sometimes it's better when it's not explicitly state what the symbol's origins are.
:applaud

\S/ standing for the House of El and appearing on Kal El's spaceship and baby clothes is perfectly logical and reasonable, but the movie doesn't need to beat the audience over the head with the connection. Likewise, there's no need to reveal who first coins the name 'Superman'. These things can be explained, but there's no need to.

I'd personally prefer that they leave out these explanations unless they're actually relevant to the plot. The thing is, in a movie like this one, explanations like where Superman's power comes from don't need to be elaborated any further than that he's an alien. The \S/ shield actually looks like an S, and the character's name is Superman, so people can naturally assume that's what the S stands for. Even if they're wrong, at least they've come up with an explanation for it on their own. And if the movie never bothers to explain the meaning behind the \S/, then the audience's assumption is actually correct.

It is the 40's symbol, most commonly associated with Kal-L, the Earth-Two Superman. He was named "Superman" by John Kent on his deathbed.

Steve.

Superman follows the Tao of Steve McQueen.

How else do you think he gets so much tail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"