Luke Cage What would you want to see in season 2 of Luke Cage?

I'd like to see Pop's shop become "Heroes for Hire" a community outreach center using Luke's celebrity status. I don't want to see any series canceled for a heroes for hire show. I think using the name for a community outreach honor's pop's memory, can be a used as a plot device for people asking for help, and give us a nod to the comics. I just don't want a procedural show that a concept like Heroes for Hire would lean towards.

I would like to find out who was behind Seagate. Whether it was Hydra(though that's played out), IGH, AIM, or a newcomer. It's a wide open thread to pull on.

If I had my way, season two would bring back Cottonmouth.

If I had my way, season two would bring back Cottonmouth.

Nah, characters should stay dead in the MCU, the comics have become ridiculous with how often they bring back characters. I liked Cottonmouth but he has served his purpose.

I would like to see new interesting villains in season 2, Diamondback was lame and it looks like he will be back, so I hope someone else is there to be a compelling villain.

Presuming the season starts with Luke back, and with a strong public reputation. . .

I think it'd be useful if there's a three way conflict at work between Luke, the Shades/Mariah pairing, and a third party of some form. This keeps Shades and Mariah in play, which I want, while also helps facilitate a sort of political maneuvering. Neither Shades nor Mariah *wants* to fight Luke, they just want to go about their business. What's more, they are iffy on whether they *can* fight Luke. So, what they want to do is to arrange things so that Luke can be fended off without having to fight him. Like, say, if they convince him that there's a greater enemy that needs opposing, and that they are the lesser evil which can't be fought right now without causing more harm than good.

Basically, I hope for a sort of inversion of season 1, where despite Luke's powers he was in the social bottom spot. In season 2, I want him to actually be the one with the strong social power, and its Shades and Mariah who are maneuvering to work around that. He has fame, he has popularity, he has a reputation as a hero, which he is actively leveraging. This puts him a step up over a semi-disgraced politician with deeply sketchy friends and several near-misses with the law.

Presuming the season starts with Luke back, and with a strong public reputation. . .

I think it'd be useful if there's a three way conflict at work between Luke, the Shades/Mariah pairing, and a third party of some form. This keeps Shades and Mariah in play, which I want, while also helps facilitate a sort of political maneuvering. Neither Shades nor Mariah *wants* to fight Luke, they just want to go about their business. What's more, they are iffy on whether they *can* fight Luke. So, what they want to do is to arrange things so that Luke can be fended off without having to fight him. Like, say, if they convince him that there's a greater enemy that needs opposing, and that they are the lesser evil which can't be fought right now without causing more harm than good.

Basically, I hope for a sort of inversion of season 1, where despite Luke's powers he was in the social bottom spot. In season 2, I want him to actually be the one with the strong social power, and its Shades and Mariah who are maneuvering to work around that. He has fame, he has popularity, he has a reputation as a hero, which he is actively leveraging. This puts him a step up over a semi-disgraced politician with deeply sketchy friends and several near-misses with the law.

I think that 3rd party threat would have to pretty powerful, because Mariah and Shades seem rather toothless in this scenario.

I think this scenario would only work if Mariah and Shades become anti heroes of sorts and if the real danger is a third party, I am guessing it would be the guys behind the experiments in the first place.

Last edited:
Frankly, I have no idea what they should put in Season 2. I've never read any comic books including any of these characters.

Random490 you just wrote the best response I think is possible on this thread. I'll second that.

Frankly, I have no idea what they should put in Season 2. I've never read any comic books including any of these characters.

Random490 you just wrote the best response I think is possible on this thread. I'll second that.

Yeah I know, I'm awesome.

I know fairly little as well, pretty much everything I knew about Luke Cage was covered in season 1, same with Jessica Jones and I suspect with Iron Fist as well. It's really exciting to not knowing what's gonna happen next. So often with the MCU I can predict at least 80% of what will happen. It's refreshing to be in the dark.

1. A better flowing story. I want plot-critical information shown several episodes ahead of time instead of having a flashback at the last second.

2. Better villains. I'm one of the very few who actually liked Diamondback and I feel like the best thing that Marvel can do is kill him off offscreen and say that he didn't survive Doctor Burnstein's experiments. Make Doctor Burnsten's new creations Warhawk and Atlas (played by Darren Young and John Cena, respectively). Keep Shades and Mariah though.

3. Introduce Shades' teenage son Victor. Grow Luke's supporting cast with a look at a young kid whose own father wants to keep him from following in his footsteps but also doesn't want Victor to idolize Luke Cage for obvious reasons. I want to see that complex relationship lead to Victor siding with Luke over his own father.

4. At this point, Luke Cage will be world famous. Make him a professional superhero who's now working in the NYC Financial District as a bodyguard for rich Wall Street bankers and frequently be the only black guy in the room. Make him have to deal with frequent harassment and racist graffiti on the New York Subway. Give him some white journalist as an enemy who'd be working tirelessly to take him down and use his prison break and assault of police officers as ammo despite the Punisher doing the former and Daredevil doing the latter. As somebody who's nearly invincible, Luke's greatest threat shouldn't be supervillains but the public opinion of white Americans who want any excuse to smear a successful black man.

Nah, characters should stay dead in the MCU, the comics have become ridiculous with how often they bring back characters. I liked Cottonmouth but he has served his purpose.

I would like to see new interesting villains in season 2, Diamondback was lame and it looks like he will be back, so I hope someone else is there to be a compelling villain.

Did he really serve his purpose, though? There wasn't ever a proper resolution between he and Luke Cage, especially since they spent so much time building up the rivalry. All to throw it away for a less interesting storyline involving two "villains" that couldn't hold a candle to him.

Keep in mind that Diamondback is still around, and now he's being experimented on and will potentially get new superpowers similar to Luke Cage.

5. Mariah needs to run for Mayor. And make her opponent a right-wing populist vowing to make New York look like it did a hundred years ago as a majority white city and specifically names Luke Cage as a symbol of everything wrong with New York. Luke needs to be stuck in a situation where he can't support either candidate. If Luke Cage Season 1 was a statement in support of Black Lives Matter, then Season 2 should be about what it means to be black in Trump's America.

6. Keep the soundtrack. The music was the best part of the show. Don't lose it.

Diamondback will probably become come the Netflix version of Power Master.

They already merged Stryker with James Lucas Jr and the Doctor Burnsten is possibly taking the role of Doctor Malus

CAGE13_ECorporation3.jpg

They already merged Stryker with James Lucas Jr and the Doctor Burnsten is possibly taking the role of Doctor Malus

CAGE13_ECorporation3.jpg

1. You mean Coldfire. Power Master is John McIver who has roughly the same powers as Cage. Coldfire has fire powers.

2. I still feel like Burnstein is going to create an army of mercenaries for hire and Atlas and Warhawk are going to have an easy entrance into the MCU.

Did he really serve his purpose, though? There wasn't ever a proper resolution between he and Luke Cage, especially since they spent so much time building up the rivalry. All to throw it away for a less interesting storyline involving two "villains" that couldn't hold a candle to him.

Cottonmouth seemed over his head and didn't even want to seem to be a crime boss, he would have preferred to be a musician. He really didn't pose much of a threat to Cage.

I think coming up with some silly way to bring him back will add anything to what has already been said about the character on the show and frankly I think it make the character weaker to come up with some excuse to bring him back. His death had some pathos and he died a tragic character, bringing back and you risk either just repeating the same story beats over again or he becomes a cartoon character.

I don't like that death has become a joke in the comics, I don't want the same thing to happen in the MCU.

1. You mean Coldfire. Power Master is John McIver who has roughly the same powers as Cage. Coldfire has fire powers.
I know.

I think Diamonback will become Power Master in the Netflix show. As I said Diamondback is amalgamation of Stryker and James Jr so he will probably taking that power set.

Burnsten seems obsessed successfully recreating the experimenting and that will probably lead to him turning Stryker into Power Master.

I doubt they will do Coldfire in the show as his powers are too special effects heavy and not very grounded for the Netflix shows.

Cottonmouth seemed over his head and didn't even want to seem to be a crime boss, he would have preferred to be a musician. He really didn't pose much of a threat to Cage.

That was done to add conflict to his character, much like with his cousin (who offed him in the first place) and how she doesn't want to be a crime boss either. But the writing around her is very sloppy in comparison, and thus har hasn't been nearly as intriguing.

She couldn't pose a physical threat to Cage either, and neither could Diamondback without that ridiculous suit, so I'm not really sure how that's a mark against Cottonmouth.

I think coming up with some silly way to bring him back will add anything to what has already been said about the character on the show and frankly I think it make the character weaker to come up with some excuse to bring him back. His death had some pathos and he died a tragic character, bringing back and you risk either just repeating the same story beats over again or he becomes a cartoon character.

I don't like that death has become a joke in the comics, I don't want the same thing to happen in the MCU.

That's the problem, though...his death didn't have any pathos, it wasn't this "awesome" and well constructed moment. Even if it wasn't a random decision, its execution left a lot to be desired.

And this is a world of fantasy, so it's not making death a "joke" to have certain faces re-emerge. Especially when the character in question only served to make the show greater. At least imo.

That was done to add conflict to his character, much like with his cousin (who offed him in the first place) and how she doesn't want to be a crime boss either. But the writing around her is very sloppy in comparison, and thus har hasn't been nearly as intriguing.

She couldn't pose a physical threat to Cage either, and neither could Diamondback without that ridiculous suit, so I'm not really sure how that's a mark against Cottonmouth.

That's the problem, though...his death didn't have any pathos, it wasn't this "awesome" and well constructed moment. Even if it wasn't a random decision, its execution left a lot to be desired.

And this is a world of fantasy, so it's not making death a "joke" to have certain faces re-emerge. Especially when the character in question only served to make the show greater. At least imo.

Okay, but how much would bring him back without it feeling like a ridiculous farce?

And what purpose would his character serve if he was brought back. He is still over his head when dealing with Cage and he feels like non threat to Cage and he was kinda interesting, but I don't think he was interesting enough that I would want to see him come back. What role would he play if his cousin took over his Empire? I would rather build up her.

CAGE13_ECorporation3.jpg

Diamondback was a cartoon bad guy in season 1, I hope they do something to make him more interesting this time, besides just giving him powers.

Okay, but how much would bring him back without it feeling like a ridiculous farce?

And what purpose would his character serve if he was brought back. He is still over his head when dealing with Cage and he feels like non threat to Cage and he was kinda interesting, but I don't think he was interesting enough that I would want to see him come back. What role would he play if his cousin took over his Empire? I would rather build up her.

Diamondback was a cartoon bad guy in season 1, I hope they do something to make him more interesting this time, besides just giving him powers.

1. Bringing back Cottonmouth cheapens Mariah's character development and Cage has better villains who we haven't seen. I for one really want to see Atlas on the show since Marvel need to do something with Thunderbolts. And that isn't even touching on Chemistro, Captain Hero, Warhawk or Nightshade. Cage's origin story this time around give him a military background so Atlas and Warhawk would be really cool to see as people who MCU Cage could have served with in the past but are now his enemies. And both of them have super strength and durability. Most likely we'll see Diamondback become Coldflame since his powers are different. Just let him have fire powers and it works out well.

2. I feel like Diamondback is already cartoonish and if they toned him down then he'd be OOC. that's why he needs to be on a team.

5. Mariah needs to run for Mayor. And make her opponent a right-wing populist vowing to make New York look like it did a hundred years ago as a majority white city and specifically names Luke Cage as a symbol of everything wrong with New York. Luke needs to be stuck in a situation where he can't support either candidate. If Luke Cage Season 1 was a statement in support of Black Lives Matter, then Season 2 should be about what it means to be black in Trump's America.

6. Keep the soundtrack. The music was the best part of the show. Don't lose it.

So you are saying make Mariah into Hillary Clinton?

4. At this point, Luke Cage will be world famous. Make him a professional superhero who's now working in the NYC Financial District as a bodyguard for rich Wall Street bankers and frequently be the only black guy in the room. Make him have to deal with frequent harassment and racist graffiti on the New York Subway. Give him some white journalist as an enemy who'd be working tirelessly to take him down and use his prison break and assault of police officers as ammo despite the Punisher doing the former and Daredevil doing the latter. As somebody who's nearly invincible, Luke's greatest threat shouldn't be supervillains but the public opinion of white Americans who want any excuse to smear a successful black man.

I can't see Luke Cage doing any jobs like that unless he was dead broke and was in desperate need of funds.

1. No to more Styker, or if so, him in a very different role as a defeated villain of sorts.
2. Yes to Victor Alvarez, great angle for Mariah and Shades. Maybe go full sidekick, and that becomes sort of the 'Punisher' level arc here.
3. Chemistro. Brilliant mind, took a turn for the worst.
4. More Harlem, more great Music, all the Black culture I can stand.
5. A little less conversation, a little more action.

1. No to more Styker, or if so, him in a very different role as a defeated villain of sorts.
2. Yes to Victor Alvarez, great angle for Mariah and Shades. Maybe go full sidekick, and that becomes sort of the 'Punisher' level arc here.
3. Chemistro. Brilliant mind, took a turn for the worst.
4. More Harlem, more great Music, all the Black culture I can stand.
5. A little less conversation, a little more action.

I honestly would rather see Atlas than Chemistro because A. Doctor Burnstein is creating super soldiers and it's the easiest time to bring him into the MCU and B. we have Zemo, Hyde, Blizzard and Shocker. Atlas is also part of the T-Bolts. The sooner that he appears on Luke Cage, the better off the MCU as a whole will be by having a full team of defeated supervillains working to redeem themselves.

How about Luke Cage vs Eric Josten for the right to use the name Power Man?

It could start off as a legal battle over the trademarks (a bit like Kylie Minogue vs Kylie Jenner for the right to use "Kylie") and eventually come to physical blows with a winner takes all approach.

Then Josten would eventually become Goliath, and then later Atlas, while Luke Cage would still not use Power Man for whatever reason but just keep it in his back pocket.

The trademark drama probably won't be in the show. Like in the lives of superheroes, there are bigger things / problems to overcome than that. Plus i doubt luke cage would even care. Plus is the other one selling make-ups and trying to build a brand for himself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"