What you didn't like about Captain America: Civil War - Flaws/Critiques

Discussion in 'Captain America: Civil War' started by speno94, Apr 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdw Registered

Actually, yes. Like all communication, there are multiple levels, including context. Magicians, comedians, and similar performers are VERY familiar and in tune to it with it when it comes to laughter, but so is almost EVERYONE in any other situation.
    You understand people's laughs every day well beyond 'they must think something's funny.'

You make the exact distinction you mockingly presented, all the time.
    You generally know, in your daily life, very clearly when someone laughs because something was stupid, or in disbelief, or at humour, or at an awkward situation, etc.

Laughter goes FAR beyond just being a reaction to humour.

Why? Well, because they didn't, because it wasn't a joke.

2. gdw Registered

Exactly. Tony didn't even look up to shoot him. Just *blast* "**** off."

3. gdw Registered

Great points.

4. FindingZemo Registered

If people laugh, that means they interpreted it as comedic. hints the laugh.

5. gdw Registered

:db:

And yeah, it's not bad writing, it's bad watching.

6. gdw Registered

No, I said it provided the HINT of a FUTURE reconciliation.
    Within the film, it provides a sense of resolution. It does not provide absolute resolution. That's the entire freaking distinction we're arguing about.

7. gdw Registered

It's called a red herring, and it's a classic story telling tool. It was meant to, and succeeded in, putting you in exactly the same mind set as the protagonists, so that you get the same feeling of having the rug yanked out from under you at the end.

The entire point was so that, instead of fully predicting the ending, like you thought you were, only to be left thinking "I have no clue what's going to happen next."
    If what does happen next is something far more emotionally satisfying than an Avengers slug-fest against (yet again) mindless drones, then the device was effective, and it's called great writing.

8. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

You're just playing a game of semantics.

#958 JtheDreamer, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
  9. gdw Registered

But that would have completely undone Zemo's entire character motivation. He'd be creating a force to do more of what he hated the Avengers for.

You would have had to completely re-written his main motivations for dissassembling the Avengers.

Not saying it couldn't have worked, just saying it would require a MAJOR re-write of the driving plot of the film.

10. gdw Registered

Not even remotely semantics. My entire point has ALWAYS been that there's a vast difference between wiping away all conflict, and planting the seeds of hope.

You just seem to be incapable of recognizing this, and insist on everything being forced into your binary view.

11. gdw Registered

Oy, so you haven't read a single word. Nor have you, apparently, ever heard nervous laughter, laughter in disbelief, laughter out of shock and dismay. People laugh at all of these things, and almost never because they found it comedic.

Sometimes it's actually a combination, and you CAN have nervous laughter in shock at a horrific situation, while also acknowledging the absurdity of it, exactly like Tony does in AoU after Ultron breaks loose.

12. FindingZemo Registered

you realize you can edit your posts instead of flooding the entire last two pages with quotes and one sentence responses

13. gdw Registered

I'm responding as I catch up on the thread. You'll notice those are responses to posts from several pages back, and also responding to a variety of posts and comments, and subjects.

14. ctsketch Registered

I didn't think that was a comedic moment...I think it just showed how tony didn't care about hurting anyone anymore...he effing repulsored a regular dude in the chest without even looking at him or a second thought

15. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

What's strange is Bucky's explanation for the soldier's (both what they've done and what they can do) kind of nerfs what Pierce told Bucky about his work re-shaping the century.

Just hit the "+" sign dude on everything you want to reply to. It will load them on one post.

#965 JtheDreamer, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
  16. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

17. SuperAl Superman's back!

My original post was the audience laughed at the scene. I am not saying it was suppose to be comedic or not, just saying in my experience when i saw the movie everyone in the theater laughed. A few others said their audience laughed as well.

18. Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Not really.
    1. They were made in the 1990's
    2. They were very unstable, so not that useful. Bucky was the perfect assassin.

19. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Where is this "+" sign on the forum? I don't see it.

20. SuperAl Superman's back!

Bottom right, next to the quote button on other people's posts.

21. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

It's the button right next to the "Quote" button in the bottom right hand corner.

22. Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

It should be noted I *think* (though admit I would have to double check) the multi-quote "+" button is *NOT* present on the mobile view of the boards. So if you're not seeing the "+" button that could be a reason why.

23. Anita18 DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

One thing that was much clearer to me on the second viewing, is how this is really Avengers 2.5 than a capstone (har har) to a self-contained trilogy. Yes, the conflict revolves around Cap and his crew, but nothing gets resolved. We'll have to watch the next Avengers (and maybe beyond) to see how the characters develop further.

I'm not sure if I would call it a flaw or a criticism, really. It was a creative choice made very, very early on. And I'm not sure to be miffed that one of Cap's standalone movies was sacrificed for an Avengers setup, or to celebrate that we'll see Chris Evans and Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie in more movies. :funny: I have complicated feelings.

24. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

After my second viewing, I came to the conclusion I would have preferred something more stripped down and contained like CA:TWS and then get my "Avengers" fix when Infinity War rolls around.

25. zephyrinthesky Registered

Agreed.

If I were to compare TWS and CW in an analogy, I'd say CW is an all-you-can-eat buffet where everything is really good but not A+, and TWS is a three-course meal that your favourite chef has made personally for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.