Guardians of the Galaxy What you didn't like about Guardians of the Galaxy - Flaws/Critiques

speno94

Civilian
Reaction score
Hi everyone, like I did in the Days of Future Past Forum, I wanted to create this thread for Guardians of the Galaxy.

I was just wondering what minor/major flaws you had with the film (if any) and what elements they could have improved on and what you would liked to have seen, but didn't see etc. You could put them in bullet points:

- What you would of liked to have seen in the film, but didn't get

- Major/minor flaws

- What they could have improved on

The Nova Corps, whilst effective for the story, disappointed me. They were literally space-cops with blasters, not space-centurions with the Nova Force who could fly and manipulate energy etc.

Again more of a fanboy disappointment, rather than a film goer criticism, because they worked with the story just fine.

I understood why they did it and it worked for the story but Drax should have been more powerful.

Ronan's fight with Drax and Gamora's fight with Nebula were nothing special, not that that was a huge problem. They didn't need to be

Ronan's reasoning behind the hatred of Xander. Yondu and his arrows were silly, come on. Movie was a bit short, wanted to see more.:oldrazz:

I can understand Ronan's reasoning.

Imagine if you're country was involved in a centuries long war, where your great grandfather gave his life, then your grandfather, then your father... then all of a sudden a peace treaty was signed rendering their deaths meaningless? Then imagine you're a bigoted lunatic too lol.

This is really minor, but Thanos' face seemed really weird to how I imagined it. I'm not sure if it was the CGI or what, but it just seemed weird to me. I loved his voice and everything else, his costume was really cool. Also, did anyone else think The Other sounded really different compared to how he sounded in The Avengers?

I have a couple of minor flaws:

- The first 20 minutes are not rushed, but it is a tad choppy because they have to introduce you to these new characters, the Kree/Xandar war and the peace treaty, Thanos, Gamora and Nebula relationship and her betraying Ronan, Yondu putting a bounty on Quill and the orb etc, but when they all meet in the Kyln prison, the pacing is pretty much perfect after that. (In a way, the first act was always going to be a little choppy because the Avengers each had their own movie to introduce them and James Gunn had to introduce all these characters in one movie, so for that he did a GREAT job.)

- Even though Ronan and Nebula look AMAZING, they are definitely the weakest aspect of the film, but that is ok because the film is not really about hero vs villain, its about the team.

- Thanos did look a little too CGI in some shots and I wish he was a TAD more intimidating, but they have multiple films to work on the character and improve the CGI etc.

- I thought the final confrontation between the Guardians and Ronan was little TOO silly and slightly awkward with Quill dancing to distract Ronan and Ronan saying 'What are you doing?'. Also, when the Guardians hold hands in the purple infinity stone field to destroy Ronan was too much of a replay of Thor: The Dark World’s CG-drenched Aether battle, but now it’s purple swirly stuff rather than red. See what I mean:

Guardians of the Galaxy
0.jpg

Thor: The Dark World
tumblr_n0fp7fvOfC1r5ynioo1_250.gif

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
The villains were the weakest aspect. Ronan was kinda silly. Definitely didn't care for him very much. I thought Pace was over-acting a little bit. Seemed forced.

The colored clouds make sense if you think about them being the infinity stones powered up.

My only issue was the change in Thanos face. He was comic accurate in Avengers and they went away ftom it. The mo cap should have no bearing in the design and I can't believe Brolin would insist on it looking more humanized. The other thing for me was i wish they had given us a taste of his power to show how dangerous he really is. His armor was awesome though.

The Nova Corps, whilst effective for the story, disappointed me. They were literally space-cops with blasters, not space-centurions with the Nova Force who could fly and manipulate energy etc.

Again more of a fanboy disappointment, rather than a film goer criticism, because they worked with the story just fine.

I think they're saving that reveal for either GOTG2 or a Nova movie. The audience just thinks they're bunch of standard cops right now, but then they'll see the Centurions & be impressed.

Or maybe for the purpose of this story they did not want Nova Centurions or ones that could fly or use the special abilities of the Nova helmet.

The only things that bothered me were:

1. Not enough Nova Corps/Xandar

2. So Drax was never supposed to be with the other four when they were arrested? That was just for the trailer?

3. I liked Ronan as a villain, but he could have been more developed. And I also would have liked one more Thanos appearance.

So my gripes about the film as follows:

Story lacked heart - My biggest gripe about the film. It does a great job of introducing the characters, but it stumbles in trying to make you care for them. Granted, there are some great emotional moments here and there, but none of them emerged organically from the story. In comparison to the emotional roller coaster that was Days of Future Past, Guardians kind of fell short.

Gamora - For someone with the title of "The Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy", I thought Gamora was kind of tame. Zoe Saldana is capable of being fierce onscreen, so it's sad to see her talents kind of wasted like this. I wish they hadn't watered down her character from the comics to make her relatable.

Ronan - Eh. I thought Lee Pace played the part with menace. But aside that... he was hardly memorable and kind of lame.

Thanos - To be honest? I was underwhelmed. I saw nothing of the menacing presence or power that makes Thanos such a feared being throughout the cosmos. That cameo he had at the end of Avengers was a much better scene than the one he had here.

- What you would of liked to have seen in the film, but didn't get
*I would have loved to see the Kree homeworld, a bit of their culture, and the Supreme Intelligence. Making Ronan a rogue terrorist made him less interesting.

- Major/minor flaws
Needed more Nebula, she really didn't get much to do. She was sort of there as someone for Ronan to talk to, and that was it. Such a cool design for her makeup! But at least she'll be back in the sequel.

- What they could have improved on
Thanos, Thanos, Thanos

Ronan, while not awful, still wasn't that great. Definitely in the lower tier of MCU villains, but still more effective than Malekith, Vanko, & Hammer (despite Rockwell's awesome performance) combined.

I would say Ronan, but he was decent. There were some parts of the film that felt a little dull for me(Mostly bits and pieces of the first 30-45 minutes), but overall it was a very fun ride.

I had seen the Thanos leaked image before I saw the film, and I thought he looked really off when I saw the image. Actually seeing him in the movie looked better imo.

The credits at the beginning of the film, rather than being at the end of the film like recent Marvel Movies. I would have liked to see a little bit bigger break in between the end of the movie and the mid credits scene, and those credits would have done it.

I have a couple of minor flaws:

- The first 20 minutes are not rushed, but it is a tad choppy because they have to introduce you to these new characters, the Kree/Xandar war and the peace treaty, Thanos, Gamora and Nebula relationship and her betraying Ronan, Yondu putting a bounty on Quill and the orb etc, but when they all meet in the Kyln prison, the pacing is pretty much perfect after that. (In a way, the first act was always going to be a little choppy because the Avengers each had their own movie to introduce them and James Gunn had to introduce all these characters in one movie, so for that he did a GREAT job.)

- Even though Ronan and Nebula look AMAZING, they are definitely the weakest aspect of the film, but that is ok because the film is not really about hero vs villain, its about the team.

- Thanos did look a little too CGI in some shots and I wish he was a TAD more intimidating, but they have multiple films to work on the character and improve the CGI etc.

- I thought the final confrontation between the Guardians and Ronan was little TOO silly and slightly awkward with Quill dancing to distract Ronan and Ronan saying 'What are you doing?'. Also, when the Guardians hold hands in the purple infinity stone field to destroy Ronan was too much of a replay of Thor: The Dark World’s CG-drenched Aether battle, but now it’s purple swirly stuff rather than red. See what I mean:

Guardians of the Galaxy
0.jpg

Thor: The Dark World
tumblr_n0fp7fvOfC1r5ynioo1_250.gif

Capture.PNG

Considering they are both infinity stones it makes sense the affects would look the same, and its kind of cool, like if we ever saw it with the Tesseract it would be blue swirly stuff.......

My only issue was the change in Thanos face. He was comic accurate in Avengers and they went away ftom it. The mo cap should have no bearing in the design and I can't believe Brolin would insist on it looking more humanized. The other thing for me was i wish they had given us a taste of his power to show how dangerous he really is. His armor was awesome though.
I felt the exact same way about Thanos' face. I liked Josh Brolin a lot as the character though. Really good casting.

The difference between the end of The Dark World and this is the execution. The Dark World had zero tension or emotion.

The way the Guardians all linked hands to help Quill bare the power of the Gem was really cool. And of course the distraction before hand... ohh yeeeaaaa.

The way the Guardians all linked hands to help Quill bare the power of the Gem was really cool.
That's been done before so it didn't feel as cool.

The Endless said:
And of course the distraction before hand... ohh yeeeaaaa.
Pretty sure that's actually original, and it's earned too :-)

Considering they are both infinity stones it makes sense the affects would look the same, and its kind of cool, like if we ever saw it with the Tesseract it would be blue swirly stuff.......
So they are taking the "uniqueness" away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"