whats better? LCD or Plasma?

Super Flight

Sidekick
Reaction score
what is the better good quility flat screen tv?

LCD T.Vs?
or
Plasma T.V?

i'm gonna get a new t.v and i never know which one is better

old_tv_news.jpg

Don't CRT televisions give off a very small emission or radiation?

HarleenQuinzel said:

Yes but it actually enhances your viewing pleasure.

HarleenQuinzel said:

The major problem with plasma, apart from still being uber-expensive compared to other options, is that if something goes wrong with the gas in them (and things do go wrong with the gas in them), they are done. Disposable TV. They can't be fixed.

LCD's have gotten a bit better, but they cannot display a true black and have motion artifacts to varying degrees on fast moving images (really not cool if you watch a lot of sports).

DLP technology has been around awhile and has the bugs worked out of it, and has already recouped it's R&D costs so the overall pricing of DLP units tends to run a bit cheaper. And, if the lamp in your DLP projection unit goes out or starts losing luminosity, you can put a new one in and you've got a brand new TV again. The downside is that they aren't available in a thin version that you can hang on your wall as they require a bit of depth in order for the projection to function properly. But, the picture is just amazing on them. I have a Samsung DLP HDTV that puts the picture on all the plasma and LCD TV's I have seen that have cost much more, including the one's some of my audiophile/videophile friends have, to shame.

Do some serious reading on all three technologies if you're in the market for one of these TV's. I'd steer away from plasma altogether. Too many issues can happen with those things and when a plasma unit dies, it's dead. LCD will work if you go high end to minimize motion artifacts and get a bit closer to true black, but that's only if you have a mad-on for hanging the thing on your wall for some reason. Otherwise, the picture on DLP's just can't be beat for the money in my opinion. Watch the prices this year on large flat-screen TV's. They're supposed to dip by $500 or more this summer sometime.

jag

You know, I don't (or didn't) even know what a Plasma or DLP tv is, lol :). I still own a projection big screen tv in my bedroom and a CRT tv in my living room. I just said plasma randomly.

I got a muddy projection TV. I'm sooo sick of that **** it's not even funny.

Doesn't plasma also have a limited lifespan..?

jaguarr said:
The major problem with plasma, apart from still being uber-expensive compared to other options, is that if something goes wrong with the gas in them (and things do go wrong with the gas in them), they are done. Disposable TV. They can't be fixed.

LCD's have gotten a bit better, but they cannot display a true black and have motion artifacts to varying degrees on fast moving images (really not cool if you watch a lot of sports).

DLP technology has been around awhile and has the bugs worked out of it, and has already recouped it's R&D costs so the overall pricing of DLP units tends to run a bit cheaper. And, if the lamp in your DLP projection unit goes out or starts losing luminosity, you can put a new one in and you've got a brand new TV again. The downside is that they aren't available in a thin version that you can hang on your wall as they require a bit of depth in order for the projection to function properly. But, the picture is just amazing on them. I have a Samsung DLP HDTV that puts the picture on all the plasma and LCD TV's I have seen that have cost much more, including the one's some of my audiophile/videophile friends have, to shame.

Do some serious reading on all three technologies if you're in the market for one of these TV's. I'd steer away from plasma altogether. Too many issues can happen with those things and when a plasma unit dies, it's dead. LCD will work if you go high end to minimize motion artifacts and get a bit closer to true black, but that's only if you have a mad-on for hanging the thing on your wall for some reason. Otherwise, the picture on DLP's just can't be beat for the money in my opinion. Watch the prices this year on large flat-screen TV's. They're supposed to dip by $500 or more this summer sometime.

jag

Thanks for clearing that up. I always wondered if the DLP would be worth getting. Once I move, again, I'll start shopping around for one.:up: :)

yea how long does a plasma last? i hear it doesnt last forever

IF you get a plasma be sure at first to NOT let it sit on the same image for a while...after the first 200 hours or so it doesnt matter, but at the begginning dont let the image burn it in.

I use LCD for everything, it works great. Make sure you get a good response time.

HarleenQuinzel said:

You only need to be concerned if you want kids.

I'd love to have a projector.

I think playing computer games on an 8 foot screen would be a blast.

War Lord said:

My brother has a projector in his bar. Playing Madden on there is harder than hell, because you not used to the players being so large.

War Lord said:

I just built one of those home made projectors you always see on Ebay... Only cost me $30 all up (for materials and a paint for the wall I project onto) SInce I use a Computer Monitor as the source Its even In HD :up: :D

Its not the best option in the world but its cheap, and keeps you out of trouble for a weekend.

Spiderpig said:
Doesn't plasma also have a limited lifespan..?
Both LCD and Plasma have limited lifespans, i think its 2000 hours for plasma and somthing like 3-4000 for lcd.

The only problem with plasma is its made up of cells and each cell has part of the picture, if a cell "dies" (it turns pink!) there is nothing you can do about it because you cant take it for exchange, so if you have a cell die in the middle of the screen your screwed. (some companys/stores would have them back when the dead cells equal 6, which could take awhile anyway)

I have a LCD at home, but I have always thought of plasma as better. :up:

black_dust said:
Both LCD and Plasma have limited lifespans, i think its 2000 hours for plasma and somthing like 3-4000 for lcd.

The only problem with plasma is its made up of cells and each cell has part of the picture, if a cell "dies" (it turns pink!) there is nothing you can do about it because you cant take it for exchange, so if you have a cell die in the middle of the screen your screwed. (some companys/stores would have them back when the dead cells equal 6, which could take awhile anyway)

2000 hours?!?!?!? wtf??? are your serious?? that wont even last a year!!

black_dust for a half life it would go for 60,000 hours for a plasma, and 120,000 till its completely dead, i dunno where 2000 hours came lol, thats a rip off for the money,heres some more about it

A plasma television has a half-life of about 60,000 hours. This means that it will lose approximately 50% of its brightness during that time. Basically, if your Plasma television is on for 8 hours a day, its half-life would be about 9 years - or, if on 4 hours a day, the half-life would be about 18 years. Keep in mind that a standard television loses about 30% of its brightness after about 20,000 hours. Since this process is very gradual, the consumer isn't aware of this effect, except for the need to periodically adjust the brightness and contrast controls to compensate. Although the performance of individual Plasma TVs can vary, overall, as a product class, a Plasma television can deliver many years of acceptable viewing.

black_dust said:

Plasmas last a LOT longer than 2000 hours. That would mean if you watch it for eight days straight, it would be gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"