What's in a Name? Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by TalismanRing, Apr 4, 2014.

1. TalismanRing Cyclone Cookie Tosser

Interesting article [What's in a Name? Captain America: The Winter Soldier] written political analyst William Bradley. Or maybe I think so because it mirrored my thoughts when hearing so many people question the title, from the use of the colon instead of an ampersand to how the "Winter Soldier" isn't enough in the film to warrant being in the title.

The title though works on two levels. Yes, the title refers to a nemesis of the piece but as a concept it far more fittingly describes Steve Rogers, especially in this film with the choices he makes. He is the ultimate winter soldier.

As Bradley sums up:

The two quotes which were the origin of the term and from which Brubaker drew inspiration.

2. Heretic Registered

This is exactly the point that I was making last night in the review thread. Nice to see that Ed Brubaker has confirmed that he was thinking about Thomas Paine when he came up with the name.