What's keeping Iron Man to become Marvel's Batman?

Discussion in 'The Comics' started by chiefchirpa, Jun 25, 2006.

1. chiefchirpa Haaa-rooooooo

Yeah I understand - Batman is the swiss army knife, while the Marvel characters are more specialized. For Batman alone, there is Iron Man, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Wolverine, Black Panther, etc. For Superman there is Gladiator, Thor, Sentry, etc.

At least DC never have the idea of making Batman a bad guy, even though he's darker and more angst driven than Iron Man...

2. ChrisBaleBatman Legendary Hero

Well, actually DC has done questionable stuff with him......like him creating the Brother Eye....which kinda had a hand in a huge crisis. Thing is, Batman is probably the most popular DC hero....so fans will probably side with him no matter what.

But, again....I think we'll see Iron Man just become a powerhouse once his film opens. And, if it's a great film......I think his popularity will probably get at an all time high.

I actually haven't picked up Civil War yet....I'm holding out for the TPB's......but I was kinda amazed to see IGN voted Iron Man the best villian of 2006.

3. becuz batman is batman ironman will never reach that popularity or the respect batman has, he's a bigger icon and civil war has done everything it could to make iron man into the elite, his side one, he fought cap without his armor and match him blow for blow, create a verson of the spider sense, got the ok the send the hulk away but they accidently made him marvel lex luthor in the minds of many..lol

4. 3dman27 super-hero wannabe

good point izzyspider

5. explode7 Registered

Popularity doesn't only give batman the edge over Iron Man he's also waaaaaaaaaaaaay cooler than Iron Man would ever be. Iron Man probably wishes and dreams he he is close to as cool as batman is. Some of my friends consider Iron Man to be a pu**y in a suit hiding from criminals whereas Batman is the braver one. I find this to be true also.

6. ChrisBaleBatman Legendary Hero

Well, I've always wondered about Iron Man's motivation. I've started reading THE ULTIMATES, and I kinda dig his motivation in there. But, what is Tony's motivation for being Iron Man in the Marvel U.?

I think a huge part of what makes Batman...well....Batman, is how it begins for him.

7. Anubis Sup?

A little guilt over all the people he's killed over the years with the weapons he made, and a little arrogance, because he feels it's his duty as a super scientist or whatever.

8. ChrisBaleBatman Legendary Hero

Hmmmm.....the guilt sounds cool to me.

9. Anubis Sup?

Works for Spidey.

10. bestever23 Registered

If there was a Civil War In DC would Batman do the same thing? I doubt It he's the one that's not for the government

11. Anubis Sup?

No, he wouldn't. Superman might though.

12. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

^I think you could bet on that.:cwink:

13. bestever23 Registered

damn boy scout lol nah I love sups but he would

14. T'Chaka Registered

Ever since Marvel Knights came out, I started looking at BLACK PANTHER as being Marvel's equivalent to Batman. They both have somewhat similar backgrounds and operating styles.

15. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

For me I always looked at Daredevil as sort of Batman-like.

16. N.Sef Guest

yeha I agree with the whole Daredevil being Marvel's Batman-like character, he's got several qualities that Bruce posses, this could be due to Frank Miller's reworking of the character much like he did with Batman, but hey.

If you want to compare Iron Man to a DC character, I think he's closest to someone like Green Arrow more then Batman.

17. Sparta* ~Sword of Darkness~

Re: What's keeping Iron Man to become Marvel's Batman?

I'd have to say because Batman has been around longer and is a million times cooler then Iron Man

18. Joined:
    Mar 28, 2007
    Also Batman is driven by tragedy while Ironman really isn't all that driven. I mean if you could ask Ironman why he does it he'd probably say because it's the right thing to do while Batman would say it's because of what happened to his parents.

19. RogueDK Agent Of The Bat

:brucebat: > :im:

Agreed.

20. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

Personally I think Batman's about the most boring superhero ever, but he is easier to translate to live action, due mainly to the sfx needed for Iron Man. This is the way it is with much of the DC and Marvel characters. The Marvel characters are more SFX reliant than the DC ones. Maybe that's why DC had a monopoly on live action adaptions for 20 years from Superman(1978) until Blade came out in 1998.

21. RogueDK Agent Of The Bat

:wow:

[​IMG]

22. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

^Hehehe, sorry but that's how I see it. I also don't get the appeal of Spider-Man, Superman, Fantastic Four, Daredevil or the X-Men. In my mind it's always been Hulk, Iron Man and the Avengers and that's pretty much it.

23. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

^Of course I'll still see the movie this summer since I'm a superhero/comic book junkie. But IJ4, IM & TIH are more anticipated by me.

24. RogueDK Agent Of The Bat

Well....at least you're going to see TDK so that's fair enough I guess. How can you not like Daredevil though? :huh:

I'm looking forward to The Incredible Hulk as well. :word:

25. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

Well for me to really be interested a superhero requires two things:

1) A lot of power(and generally the more powerful they are, the better);

and

2) An edgy-ness or gritty-ness to them(I don't care for boy-scout types)

Superman, Batman, Daredevil, Wolverine, FF, etc. only meet one of those requirements. Spidey, Captain America etc. don't meet either really. Iron Man & the Hulk meet them both well(Hulk more-so than Iron Man) so that's why they're my faves and by extension through them, the Avengers. I will say of Nolan's Batman that they've done about as good a job of making him interesting as Batman can be.