Whats less realistic? Sandman or webshooters?

TheSlag said:
So we could put Bats in a Nascar and it he would "still" get around fast, and have it for "transportation". So that would work... right? Of course not. And I know it's an exageration, but it's supposed to be to make the point.

Even if you changed the Batmobile to a James Bond spy car, looking like the James Bond spy car... it still would not be right.

The sum of the parts, make the whole. And in this case, there are too many "holes" in the whole of the Spidey Movie Character.

to be a devils advocate here, it wouldn't quite be like depriving batman of his batmobile visually speaking, becuase visuallly speaking we almost never see the webshooters except when Peter is working on them. if having never watched the sm movie, you saw a clip of spidey swinging through the city, you wouldn't think anything of it. vrs if you never saw a batman movie, and saw batman driving in a ohh.... lets say a 59' el comino , well, that would raise an eyebrow.

The Green Goblin said:
Its fine that you don't mind the organics, (although I get the feeling Spidey swinging around by way of webs out of his ass would be OK with you) but don't try to ram their "virtues" down the throats of the "few" who admire and appreciate a more traditional, classic Spidey.
. :cool:

yes lol. the a-whole web shooter catches on .:up:

Cudzo said:
to be a devils advocate here, it wouldn't quite be like depriving batman of his batmobile visually speaking, becuase visuallly speaking we almost never see the webshooters except when Peter is working on them. if having never watched the sm movie, you saw a clip of spidey swinging through the city, you wouldn't think anything of it. vrs if you never saw a batman movie, and saw batman driving in a ohh.... lets say a 59' el comino , well, that would raise an eyebrow.

That's kinda the whole point. The 59 El Camino would not work for you, just like the organics does not work for us (some moreso than others). And yes, I understand your point about "not seeing" the webshooters, but I disagree with it. The fact that we don't see the webshooters, takes away from Spidey's character, just as much if not more IMO that Bat's driving the 59 El Camino.

We don't get to see Peter's scientific genius side. We don't get to see him invent them, struggle to make them work, find time and money to develop the webbing, and most importantly to me, we don't get to see the dynamics the mech webshooters bring into the stroy of Spider-Man.

The running out of webbing at key moments. The quips to thugs about appreciating how much money he's investing to "gift-wrap" your sorry arse for the police. We don't get the dynamics of how to use his webbing to defeat, or help defeat some of his greatest villains.

We miss out on a lot. Just like we would if Bats drove "Da Camino" "To the Camino Mobile Boy Wonder!!!!!" :D

blind_fury said:
Why do you assume Parker testing his webshooters would be cut? It would fit in the movie just as well as the scene where Tobey Maguire shoots organic webbing all over his room.

What about Dr. Ock? His powers werent biological, they were mechanical. The movies allowed for mechanical marvels such as Green Goblin's glider and Dr.Ock's mechanical tentacles, I dont see what so absurd about a webshooting device.

Just like Sam Raimi, you underestimate Peter Parker's skill and resourcefullness. Parker is smarter than you and me. He routinely matches wits with mad scientist and evil geniuses. He can whip up a special web formula to counter some villians special power in minutes. If you made a movie about Sherlock Holmes would you dumb down the character to make him more believable? No, that would defeat the purpose of telling the story.

Parker created the webshooters and webbing formula in days. That what the character is capable of. He's not your average teenager as the movies would have you believe.

Peter Parker makes a million dollar costume without any knowledge of tailorship and the audience believes it right away. Just like time travel in the "Back to the Future" films people accept science-fiction because its fun and imaginative. A time traveling car is silly, but the fact that its a cool idea causes ppl to go along with it. The truth is the movie universe allowed the quick invention of webshooters by a teenager. It doesnt require some elaborate fantasy world. The idea just simply needed to be introduced and the audience would happily go along for the ride.

Great post. :up: :up:

OOOkay, all caught up... well, in this thread anyway.. in the topic (strayed topic) of whether it would have been better to have mech web shooters in the movie vrs. organic shooters... ... personaly, i really think its a draw.

Mech shooters: from all i've read, there are two main arguments for this.
1) it would be truer to the soarce material.
2) It would show how genius that peter parker actually possesses.

there is no argument that peters intelect is a large part of his persona. In the comic, and in the movie. the question that comes to mind then is whether the lack of his invention of web shooters detracts from his genius as its protraid on film. My feeling is no. In the movie, especially the second one, where he intelectually is on the same level as doctor octavius as far as his theories go is a strong indication of where his inteligence level is. But contrast to that question, it does detract from the utility of his inteligence.

organic shooters: there again are two points i feel about why they went this route, that is:
1)the economic reality of peters condition and
2)the desire for the audience to relate to him.

Peter may have been a genius for his age. maybe even a prodigy. but he was also poor. in the first movie, uncle ben did not have a job. and when he died, that made money even more scarce. In the second, he was close to being evicted. that was peters economic reality in the movie. and in that context, while he may have had the intelect to invent the blueprint of webshooters, you can't get the parts to make it at your local hardware store. and trust me, from people i know who have had things build for them for mass production, having even a prototype made of anything is not cheap. most people need funding from some soarce ( the university through a grant or a company paying for it). that is economic reality, and that leads to the second point.

The desire to have the audience identify with peter. If peter somehow came up with webshooters, many would wonder where he came up with the resoarces, when the whole movie was trying to show his lack of resoarses. while yes, the movie is fantacy, the producing team wants people to be able to put themselves in peters shoes, to be able to relate with him, and that means economic reality. and having him invent webshooters ever so slightly compromises that.

So, would have mech web shooters made the movie better? maybe, but they just as easily could have made it worse.. but what to do i care, i'd watch it anyway in ignorant bliss. :rolleyes:

TheSlag said:
We miss out on a lot. Just like we would if Bats drove "Da Camino" "To the Camino Mobile Boy Wonder!!!!!" :D

I'm sold ! Off that line alone, batman should drive "Da Camino" lmao

blind_fury said:
Raimi's excuse for not using webshooters was realism. A teenager couldnt create something a major corporation hasnt made (coughnapstercough). Well now he may be using Sandman, one of the least realistic villians in marvel universe. Does that mean we'll see synthetic webbing in Peter Parker's future as well? hmmmm.

When Peter Parker got bit by the radioactive spider the spider transfored knoledge on how to make the webbing and also Peter Parker was a total science nerd. Another fun fact is that Raimi didnt use the web shooters in the movie the web was organic.

Visionary said:
Does the Camino Mobile come in black?

yes, but it has a KICK ASS painting of a bat on the hood!

Cudzo said:
OOOkay, all caught up... well, in this thread anyway.. in the topic (strayed topic) of whether it would have been better to have mech web shooters in the movie vrs. organic shooters... ... personaly, i really think its a draw.

there is no argument that peters intelect is a large part of his persona. In the comic, and in the movie. the question that comes to mind then is whether the lack of his invention of web shooters detracts from his genius as its protraid on film. My feeling is no. In the movie, especially the second one, where he intelectually is on the same level as doctor octavius as far as his theories go is a strong indication of where his inteligence level is. But contrast to that question, it does detract from the utility of his inteligence.

organic shooters: there again are two points i feel about why they went this route, that is:

Peter may have been a genius for his age. maybe even a prodigy. but he was also poor. in the first movie, uncle ben did not have a job. and when he died, that made money even more scarce. In the second, he was close to being evicted. that was peters economic reality in the movie. and in that context, while he may have had the intelect to invent the blueprint of webshooters, you can't get the parts to make it at your local hardware store. and trust me, from people i know who have had things build for them for mass production, having even a prototype made of anything is not cheap. most people need funding from some soarce ( the university through a grant or a company paying for it). that is economic reality, and that leads to the second point.

The desire to have the audience identify with peter. If peter somehow came up with webshooters, many would wonder where he came up with the resoarces, when the whole movie was trying to show his lack of resoarses. while yes, the movie is fantacy, the producing team wants people to be able to put themselves in peters shoes, to be able to relate with him, and that means economic reality. and having him invent webshooters ever so slightly compromises that.

So, would have mech web shooters made the movie better? maybe, but they just as easily could have made it worse.. but what to do i care, i'd watch it anyway in ignorant bliss. :rolleyes:

Two things:

1) When making a post about intelligence of the character, I would suggest spell checking to help "validate" your opinions. ;) (Just slaggin you my man)

2) So the audience can relate to Peter easier with the organic webbing huh? Organic webbing? He developed a new gland, with spinnerets in his wrist, and "this" :eek:.... they can relate to... "easier"

Cudzo said:
I'm sold ! Off that line alone, batman should drive "Da Camino" lmao

Yep. A cross between Chico and the Man... and Batman.

Cudzo said:

Well personally i dont understand why Raimi decided to use organics other than his weak argument of it being unrealistic. It hasn't made pete any more of a social outcast and it realy hasn't helped him outside of the costume. This is just another and one of many cut-backs on being true to the source material and further evidence of raimi's apathetic approach to telling a potntially brilliant and entertaining story.

I'm not close to being evicted, does that lessen my ability to relate to Peter?

yep, webshooter from the butt would be a great addition to kill the Spiderman movies ;)

spider-jide said:
Well personally i dont understand why Raimi decided to use organics other than his of it being unrealistic. It hasn't made pete any more of a social outcast and it realy hasn't helped him outside of the costume. This is just another and one of many cut-backs on being true to the source material and further evidence of raimi's apathetic approach to telling a potntially brilliant and entertaining story.

excellent dismissal spider-jide. definet thumbs up.. yes, reminds me of how the president would handle it. this is important to note.. first, the initial dismissal / trivialization of the opinion.
weak argunent

second, the change in subject .. i love this,
It hasn't made pete any more of a social outcast and it realy hasn't helped him outside of the costume.
the pres does that alot two, but , thats why he's on top. '

then ya have to go back to your point , which is further trivialization :
This is just another and one of many cut-backs on being true to the source material

and finaly end off with what one thinks is the undisputable answer :
further evidence of raimi's apathetic approach to telling a potntially brilliant and entertaining story

BOOONG!! ..lol. i'm just rassin ya.

Cudzo said:
excellent dismissal spider-jide. definet thumbs up.. yes, reminds me of how the president would handle it. this is important to note.. first, the initial dismissal / trivialization of the opinion.

second, the change in subject .. i love this, the pres does that alot two, but , thats why he's on top. '

then ya have to go back to your point , which is further trivialization :

and finaly end off with what one thinks is the undisputable answer :

BOOONG!! ..lol. i'm just rassin ya.

I've now gone back and fixed my spelling error but other than that, i merely spoke what i consider to be the truth. Raimi does have an apathetic approach towards the script and its because of that, we immediately get a flawed movie. Not cool at all.

TheSlag said:
Two things:

1) When making a post about intelligence of the character, I would suggest spell checking to help "validate" your opinions. ;) (Just slaggin you my man)

2) So the audience can relate to Peter easier with the organic webbing huh? Organic webbing? He developed a new gland, with spinnerets in his wrist, and "this" :eek:.... they can relate to... "easier"

i assume they can relate to it as easily as they can with any other of peters spider powers. so that's an invalid point. try harder.

TheSlag said:
Yep. A cross between Chico and the Man... and Batman.
[Batman] " Robin , keep your hands off the pre-sets "

[Robin] " holy pimp-my-ride batman! the joker totally tricked out his ride"
[Batman] "activate the batadrolics boy wonder "

spider-jide said:
I've now gone back and fixed my spelling error but other than that, i merely spoke what i consider to be the truth. Raimi does have an apathetic approach towards the script and its because of that, we immediately get a flawed movie. Not cool at all.

OOH, script, okay. sure. thats cool. different topic, diffent thread, i believe this take has already been said.

ph27home said:
i assume they can relate to it as easily as they can with any other of peters spider powers. so that's an invalid point. try harder.

Sorry "Avis" :p

But the other powers are cool to have. Super Strength (no side effects), Ability to climb walls (side effects... hairy fingers... some already have it, and they're going to go blind too my Mama says (tell me someone got that)), Spider Agility (great in Bed), Spider-Sense (head tingles... like after my all night bender) ...

vs...

Organic webbing (bloated feeling from big honkin gland (somewhere in body... I'll leave where to your imagination)... and those embarrassing slits in the wrists... Suicide Crisis Intervention calls anyone????)

Cudzo said:
[Batman] " Robin , keep your hands off the pre-sets "

[Robin] " holy pimp-my-ride batman! the joker totally tricked out his ride"
[Batman] "activate the batadrolics boy wonder "

LMFAO... :D

TheSlag said:
Two things:

I was saying that they might relate with his economic condition. But the webshooters, just like the rest of his powers are the fantasy. I figure, in theory, you start with the reality we all know and sooorta love... then you walk to the stargate, and walk through, then next think you know your in a desert inside some huge pyramid with backward people lving not that far away and people dressed like animals flying around shooting at you ..... err... .. maybe i'm falling asleep here lol.

TheSlag said:
Sorry "Avis" :p

Organic webbing (bloated feeling from big honkin gland (somewhere in body... I'll leave where to your imagination)... and those embarrassing slits in the wrists... Suicide Crisis Intervention calls anyone????)

lmao. well slag, that all depends on ..... the ladies ;)
{spidey} " dont' pretend your not jelous"

i know for all of us who have read spiderman... or amazing spiderman... or specular spiderman.... ooooor peter parker as spiderman .. or that little bit that you find in the sunday morning comics, for us its the natural progression for him to have invented web shooters. Its a no brainer. But from someone who doesn't read comic books at all, all i'm saying is this theory might be more pluasable to them. Maybe.

Cudzo said:
lmao. well slag, that all depends on ..... the ladies ;)
{spidey} " dont' pretend your not jelous"

*fights urge to laugh* Loses. :up:

I think we're talking a different type gland here (swollen or not ;))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"