What's the big deal about product placement?

My whole theatre laughed at numerous times with the Nikon camera scene in MOS

(granted I'm Hong Kong, and camera brands are a huge big deal here..... and they also erupted in laughter when Zod's message showed in Chinese...).

Other than that, I'm fine with the product placement in that movie. A lot of times I find that it adds to movies in general.

....I wonder if Darcy's iPod lines in Thor were product placement?

Last edited:
The ironic thing is subtle product placement is more successful.

The theory goes if it's blatant or obvious, you can counter it conciously because you know it's there. When it's subtle you're not expecting it and it can slip past your concious viewing and seep into your subconcious.

I've greatly simplified it and it is no way proof that subliminal advertising works (it doesn't) and even the effect of this isn't particularly strong but it still works better than any one who is"Binging it!" (Hawaii 5-0, NCIS: Los Angeles and a handful of other series who are about as subtle as Bigfoot at a hunter's convention) or when Bones sells a scene to show off a new feature in a car or dedicate an entire episode to Avatar.

Am I the only one who doesn't get the critisism?
For instance there was a big deal about IHop appearing in MoS.
Or Spidey using Bing in ASM. Whether someone is drinking a Pepsi or screen or a Big Mac, who the hell cares?

Doesn't bother me at all - even if some are really obvious, others, well, no different to real world.

It is a way to make money - it makes sense.

Kind of a no brainer in all respects and isn't worth chatting about.

My whole theatre laughed at numerous times with the Nikon camera scene in MOS

(granted I'm Hong Kong, and camera brands are a huge big deal here..... and they also erupted in laughter when Zod's message showed in Chinese...).

Other than that, I'm fine with the product placement in that movie. A lot of times I find that it adds to movies in general.

....I wonder if Darcy's iPod lines in Thor were product placement?

i don't see the humour in the nikon scene - must be a cultural thing

The whole first transformers was basically a car commercial. :p

The obvious ones can be annoying.

Spooner buying a pair of 2004 Converse (he's in the future) and having people comment abut them.

As a Converse fan...why does everyone harp on that but Marty McFly gets a pass.

The stores/restaurants didn't bother me in MoS because I just felt like they grounded the action in a very recognizable world. What DID bother me in MoS was the extreme close-ups of the damn Nikon camera. There's one shot where Lois literally places the camera in front of the frame before she even climbs into the background, so that literally the only thing we have to focus on in the shot is that shiny Nikon logo.

I have no problem with product placement as long as it's not distracting. And that shot was definitely distracting, because there was absolutely no other purpose for that shot except to display the camera.

I remember in superman 1978 when am kent places the cereal box right in front of the camera as she looks at Clark

Or superman 2 with dr pepper and Marlboro

I thought it made sense to show Lois Lane using a high quality camera.

I thought it made sense to show Lois Lane using a high quality camera.

It seemed natural and logical that Lois would have a camera in those scenes. And it just so happens that cameras have prominently displayed manufacturer’s labels. Blacking out the label or substituting “ACME” would have been, I think, more distracting in its artificiality. On the other hand, the repeated IHOP and Sears placements were, imo, a bit too obvious.

Wayne's World did it best. Contract or no, they will not now to any corporate sponsor.

The new Cameron Diaz Chick Flick 'Sex Tape' looks like it was sponsored by Apple. There's iPads, iMacs and even use of Siri

The weirdest product placement I think is The Internship since Google actually had nothing to do with it.

The weirdest product placement I think is The Internship since Google actually had nothing to do with it.

That kind of reminded me of movies from the 80s in a sense.

Strange...I am watching that now and that is the same thought I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"