Legends What's Your Favorite Star Wars EU Book/Comic Book Thread

Fives

Civilian
Reaction score
What is everyone's favorite Star Wars Expanded Universe book or comic book material?

I always hear great things about the Thrawn trilogy, and I still need to get around to reading them. I liked the Star Wars: Legacy comic that was 125 years after ROTJ, and was about Luke's descendant Cade Skywalker.

So do you have a favorite Star Wars Expanded Universe book or comic book series? Feel free to talk about it here.

I like Legacy a lot too. It's been a while since I've read it, but I think it's fair to say it's my favorite.

There's one story in particular about a group of Stormtroopers who end up being lead around by a squidy faced Sith fellow. It's only one (or two?) issues, but I loved its down to Earth (so to speak) approach and seeing the soldier's reactions toward the Sith.

I like Legacy a lot too. It's been a while since I've read it, but I think it's fair to say it's my favorite.

There's one story in particular about a group of Stormtroopers who end up being lead around by a squidy faced Sith fellow. It's only one (or two?) issues, but I loved its down to Earth (so to speak) approach and seeing the soldier's reactions toward the Sith.
I agree, good story. It had good insight into the Stormtroopers.

SWLEG4-FC.jpg

I'm fallen far behind on the EU material, but I'm quite fond of the majority of the Dark Horse stories. Especially the X-Wing Rouge Squadron comic series.

My favorite books are the Thrawn trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command), as well as the 19-books-long series "New Jedi Order", with the invasion of an off-galaxy race called Yuuzhan Vong, who are literally not part of the Force and are responsible for major character deaths, from the movies or the EU. Dark s**t.

The best stuff is easily the ones that take place after EpVI. My favourit are the Dark Empire I and II comics with Luke as a sort of lone yojimbo searching for lost jedis in the galaxy.
j2jir.jpg

fDnp4.jpg

They are also really really dark. I strongly recomend them!

Amazing, amazing stories there, indeed. Luke was a badass in them. Actually, Luke's been handled extremely well overall. Minus the womanizer angle he had the early days.

Haven't read it. I heard it's all written from Corran's POV?

i saw this fan art about a week ago... I just thought it was cool piece... but NOW im like WILL WE REALLY GET TO SEE THIS IN A COMIC SOON???

Come on MARVEL I see what can be the next BIG EVENT comic series LoL
swvsmarvel__maul_vs_wolverine_by_furmanjon-d46noy6.jpeg

Wolvie would have to replace adamantium with cortosis, but sure.:oldrazz:

The best stuff is easily the ones that take place after EpVI. My favourit are the Dark Empire I and II comics with Luke as a sort of lone yojimbo searching for lost jedis in the galaxy.
j2jir.jpg

fDnp4.jpg

They are also really really dark. I strongly recomend them!
I forgot all about the Dark Empire comics. They are great stories indeed.

My favorite books were the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn. The sequels Hand of Thrawn were ok, too. These books hit the tone of the movies very well, imo.

Thrawn and Dark Empire are my candidates for another two trilogies. Or were until recent news.

I like most of it, but Dawn of the Jedi and Legacy are faves. KOTOR. Comics have been where it's at lately. Novels have been a big let down.

The original Thrawn trilogy was great, but I always felt that after that Zahn basically assassinated the character with an overabundance of Gary Stuing.

I know I was one of not that many that thoroughly enjoyed the New Jedi Order series, in large part due to its very original storyline.

I think more people enjoyed the NJO than you think. It's SW at its finest (and darkest), imo.

I think more people enjoyed the NJO than you think. It's SW at its finest (and darkest), imo.

It's also darn near the only thing they've released in absolutely ages that wasn't just more Jedi vs. Sith.

The NJO has highs and lows. The fandom is still smarting feom the decision to kill Anakin Solo. And it, unfortunately, gave Troy Denning a job essentially guiding the direction of the post-NJO EU there-after... and his ideas have been just awful. He writes Anakin Solo's death, then goes on a quest to destroy and kill the hero of the NJO, Jacen Solo by turning him Sith and having his twin sister kill him in brutal fashion. That dude has single handedly heaped tragedt after tragedy upon Han and Leia.

The NJO also began with the death of Chewie. :dry:

The NJO has highs and lows. The fandom is still smarting feom the decision to kill Anakin Solo. And it, unfortunately, gave Troy Denning a job essentially guiding the direction of the post-NJO EU there-after... and his ideas have been just awful. He writes Anakin Solo's death, then goes on a quest to destroy and kill the hero of the NJO, Jacen Solo by turning him Sith and having his twin sister kill him in brutal fashion. That dude has single handedly heaped tragedt after tragedy upon Han and Leia.

Yeah, he hasn't really been doing well with his run in the EU. Although Karen Traviss is also to blame for the Legacy of the Force series. I think the editors saw the mistake of dictating to writers to kill Anakin Solo and leaving the (much) lesser character of Jacen alive, so they wanted to correct that msitake. They just did it in the worst possible way.

The NJO also began with the death of Chewie. :dry:

Heh, that sucks. I forgot about Chewie's death.

I never liked Chewie so it's fine by me. However, they wanted to kill Luke off at first and GL vetoed that, the deaths of Han and Leia and the death of the 2 droids. The rest were up for grabs, so they turned to the next best thing: Chewie.

But you have to admit, they gave him a boss death. Defying a moon? Only Conan can die that way.

It's not fair to just blame Denning for the Legacy of the Force series - I think that quite a few of the creative folks in the publications division were just so hung up on the idea of a Jacen vs. Jaina story that they forced it on us.

I think one of the (darker) influences on the books has been that they've been actively trying to tie the continuity in with the very bleak world of the comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"