What's your latest read?

Your post inspired me and now I’m re-reading Crisis on Infinite Earths. I’m 3 issues in

ongbow Hunters is more character driven than it is plot driven. Furthermore, Mike Grell's 80 something issue keep running on the character that pursues is a prime case of good funnies.

On the shot you appreciate it, I profoundly prescribe Tim Truman's Hawkworld. For me, it's the main Hawkman story that issues. However, it's in a comparative vein as Longbow Hunters, in that "Develop Readers"/pre-Vertigo style.

Currently reading the last volume of Nightwing by Dixon, Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth era, Akira, Berserk, Superman from the late 90s and early 00’s and One-Punch Man. A few others I swap in and out, but for now those are my core books.

I love Rebirth Red Hood and the Outlaws. I’m really disappointed that they broke up that team.

Just finished reading the trade of Batman: White Knight. I'm kinda conflicted on it. I was expecting a 'Batman as an outright villain from the outset' story. Instead it's 'Batman as a basically good guy going off the rails'; an okay premise, but the story didn't do as much with the idea as I felt it could have done.

It was interesting seeing a 'sane' Joker and...
his occasional transformations back and forth,
...but the way he was accepted by people after all his killing and mayhem over the years was ridiculous. The idea that Batman's mission creates as many problems as he solves isn't new, but again I didn't see anything different done with it. I actually got a strong Frank Miller/TDKReturns vibe from this, especially during the scenes of the ongoing TV debate about Batman's vigilantism and Joker's reform.

As for the artwork, I love Murphy's depictions of city-scapes, candle-it rooms, and the visual references to Batman's many media appearances over the years (it was certainly cool to see the Tumbler in action alongside the Batmobile '66 and the Burton-mobile) but I really don't like the way he draws people.

The obvious sequel-bait was frustrating...
What's under Alfred's floorboards, where is Jason Todd, what did Napier mean when he said that his old cell is where he discovered Joker...
... questions which I think should have been answered here. I did like the inspired twist regarding Harley and the explanation for something that fans have discussed a lot over the years.

Overall, 6/10 for me. I don't think I'll be buying the sequel.

Last edited:
I just finished The Green Hornet Omnibus Vol1. That was quite fun.
And finished Aquaman DrownedEarth, I liked it quite a lot.

Just finished reading Harley Quinn: Harley's Little Black Book (trade).

I enjoyed the Wonder Woman, Bombshells, and Zatanna team-ups; not so much those with Green Lantern, Superman, and Lobo.

Loved that the name of the arch demon in the Zatanna story was NAD OIDID; so when Zatanna said it backwards in one of her spells we got...
DAN DIDIO! :funny:

Just finished Crisis on Infinite Earths Companion Vol. 1 (Deluxe edition)

There will eventually be three volumes of this, collecting (for the first time) all the tie-ins to the the main series. Vol 1 contains DC Comics Presents #78, All-Star Squadron #50 - 60, The Fury of Firestorm #41 - 42, and Green Lantern #194 - 198, plus a new (2018) introduction from Marv Wolfman, along with essays from Roy Thomas and Robert Greenburger. Greenburger also provides a Crisis timeline, showing how the saga unfolds sequentially through the core series and tie-ins (due to the publishing schedules of the various tie-ins publication order is definitely not the way to go!).

The DC Comics Presents, All-Star Squadron and Firestorm issues don't really contribute to the central story of Crisis, but the Green Lantern issues do a nice job of showing exactly what newly recruited Lantern Guy Gardner's special mission is (that we're just left hanging on that is one of the few criticisms I have of the core series). As for the new intro and the essays they provide some nice 'behind-the-scenes' background to the mammoth task and challenges that the writing/editorial teams faced (not least because some creators weren't actually that keen on being involved).

If you're a hardcore fan of Crisis I recommend the Companion. However, if you're more of a casual fan maybe not so much (it's not cheap).

Vol. 2 is on my shopping list.

Last edited:
Thanks Milk Tray. I really like Crisis, though admittedly I find it a bit overwhelming. It is a pretty ambitious work to say the least. I never have read the tie-ins, so that could definitely be worth it.

Thanks Milk Tray. I really like Crisis, though admittedly I find it a bit overwhelming. It is a pretty ambitious work to say the least. I never have read the tie-ins, so that could definitely be worth it.
:up:

'Ambitious' is definitely the word! That 80s style of comic book storytelling can take some getting used to, too. I'm lucky I guess that I was able to read Crisis as it came out first time around; I find now that if I take a moment and switch my brain to '80s mode' before reading it it helps! :funny:

Last edited:
Lol. I love 80s comic mode as you put it. That’s when I started reading. I took a break in mid 90s during late high school and college before going back to reading comics during grad school. 80s comics I read a lot of Marvel. I loved the Johnny Walker Captain America saga and still read that annually, along with Kravens Last Hunt.

Went down to the comic book store and they were having a sale on collected editions. Picked up 3 awesome finds

- from 1984 Perez and Wolfman 's Teen Titans masterpiece "The Terror of Trigon" from which the Netflix series borrows some ideas.

- Legion of Superheroes "An eye for an eye" great story from the 80s.

- JLA: The Pain of the Gods , always liked this story and it's exploration of Superhero guilt and vulnerability.

:up:

'Ambitious' is definitely the word! That 80s style of comic book storytelling can take some getting used to, too. I'm lucky I guess that I was able to read Crisis as it came out first time around; I find now that if I take a moment and switch my brain to '80s mode' before reading it it helps! :funny:

I prefer the 80s story telling style. IMO the greatest comics ever written were in the 80s:

Watchmen
Miracleman
Dark Knight Returns
Batman Year one
Elektra Saga
Elektra Assassin
Teen Titans /Xmen crossover
Dark Phoenix saga
Secret Wars
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Man of Steel Superman reboot
For the Man who has everything..

I could keep going. Today's storylines are too convoluted and hard to follow. Occasionally something great has come along ( eg Kingdom Come) but I believe the 80s are the real Golden Age of mainstream comics ( and of course original TMNT and some other great independent stuff).

Lol. I love 80s comic mode as you put it. That’s when I started reading. I took a break in mid 90s during late high school and college before going back to reading comics during grad school. 80s comics I read a lot of Marvel. I loved the Johnny Walker Captain America saga and still read that annually, along with Kravens Last Hunt.

The Walker saga and Heaven's last Hunt are great - what about the Scourge of the Underworld ? Simonson's Thor run, Byrne's run on X Men, Superman and Fantastic Four? The Squadron Supreme limited series. So much great stuff in the 80s.

I prefer the 80s story telling style. IMO the greatest comics ever written were in the 80s:

Watchmen
Miracleman
Dark Knight Returns
Batman Year one

Elektra Saga
Elektra Assassin
Teen Titans /Xmen crossover
Dark Phoenix saga
Secret Wars
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Man of Steel Superman reboot
For the Man who has everything

I could keep going. Today's storylines are too convoluted and hard to follow. Occasionally something great has come along ( eg Kingdom Come) but I believe the 80s are the real Golden Age of mainstream comics ( and of course original TMNT and some other great independent stuff).
Definitely agree on the ones I've bolded being some of the greatest :up: (Not really a Marvel reader so can't say on the others). And Kingdom Come is my all-time #1!

On the top of my to read pile for a long time has been Judas Contract. I finally got around to reading it. I found it enjoyable. Definitely vintage Wolfman and Perez. One of the reasons I hadn’t read it before was I figured there was supposed to be a shock when you find out Terra is a spy, and I thought it wouldn’t be as fun if you went in knowing the spoiler. But to my surprise it wasn’t really a spoiler at all because it is revealed almost from the get go.

The dialogue is somewhat hokey and I still hate Brother Blood as a villain, but it was a good read. I love how it shows Starfire as a warrior and Dick as the most foreboding Titans member. He really was Batman-esque especially in his showdown with Slade. Loved when Terra refers to Dick as the weak link and Slade tells her to shut up.

Also I’ve seen Deathstroke’s origin told elsewhere (most recently by Priest) but I think it was best told here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"