Age of Ultron Whedon battles with Marvel

Hmarrs

Sidekick
Reaction score
Whedon battles with Marvel

Are you guys reading this on the main site????

He is talking candidly about his beef with Disney.

What the heck???
That's sounds crazy and sounds like a relationship that wont last for very long...

Although he did confuse me at one point I can figure out if he is saying he wanted to keep those parts in or take them out. Thor's Bath and Hawkeye's farm.
I'm a little confused.:huh:

Sounds like he fought to out them in then he fought to take them out..

Maybe you guys can clarify my confusion?
Please...

I don't think it's really a beef.

It does seem like he is kinda over the Marvel thing but I don't think they split/are on bad terms

Sounds like he wanted some character development, which is his schtick, and Disney didn't want any of that 3-dimensional character crap, so they used what leverage they could to dictate their preferences.

I predicted this back when Joss was talking about how he was done with Marvel now and would be open to doing a DC film. :funny:

I predicted this back when Joss was talking about how he was done with Marvel now and would be open to doing a DC film. :funny:

The funny thing is if he expects things at DC/WB to be different than Marvel I think he will be very disappointed

Or he has seen that DC is more director friendly than Marvel. That is actually one of their problems to creating a cohesive universe. Because their directors enjoy too much leeway.

Nolan had full autonomy for TDK trilogy.

Singer had full autonomy for Superman Returns.

Snyder had full autonomy for Watchmen.

It would be exciting but also hilarious to see him do a DC film, what if he gets one of the ones that release the same year as one of the Infinity War movies lol

Or he has seen that DC is more director friendly than Marvel. That is actually one of their problems to creating a cohesive universe. Because their directors enjoy too much leeway.

Actually, Snyder joked that the studio wanted Watchmen to be set in modern times and revolve around the Iraq War rather than Vietnam and he was like "Sure, yeah, great, I'll get on that" and then proceeded to completely ignore the directive.

It would be exciting but also hilarious to see him do a DC film, what if he gets one of the ones that release the same year as one of the Infinity War movies lol

I'd love to see him on a property outside the DCCU. Captain Marvel, for instance.

If Whedon makes a DC movie like JL, I wonder if WB will be okay with his decision to kill a superhero in his movie?

Misleading title
he's not "battling" Marvel, as it seems to imply
He's detailing the "battles" the had while making the movie, which is a normal part of any studio film
especially when all the studios products are interconnected

There is no beef, just people sensationalising something to create a drama (& clickbait) where none existed.

It's thrid parties (reporters & "civilians") framing quotes. "Hey read this quote like this, now doesn't it sound like he's throwing Marvel under the bus! Oooh the scandal!" - And then the reader reads the article with that in mind. It's very manipulative.

Listen to the actual podcast it's from, there no malice (he actually sounds like he's in a good mood). He understands the give and take of studio projects. He even says Marvel are artists and he respects them, but people will ignore that because there's a story to sensationalise in there.

None of those are in a cinematic universe, so comparing them is a waste of time. I'd think that would be obvious.

Also, calling this a "battle" is blowing things way out of proportion. It's sensationalist, and I despise it. Not everything is a "battle" or a "war" and people disagreeing doesn't mean they're enemies or hate each other. Seriously, grow up people.

Sounds like par for the course studio vs. director clashing. Tension can sometimes produce the best environment for creativity.

One of my favorite studio interference stories was the president of Universal sending a memo that "Back to the Future" should be renamed "Spaceman From Pluto," arguing that nobody would understand what Back to the Future meant. Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale had no idea what to do with this lunacy, so they went to Spielberg. Steve promptly sent the Universal President a memo stating "Hey, thanks for joke title suggestion, everybody got a kick out of it!" - And that was the end of that!

Please sorry to be repetitive but can you someone explain this to me..

I cant figure out if he is saying he wanted to keep those parts in or take them out. Thor's Bath and Hawkeye's farm.

Please...

This isn't anything new even in the MCU. Studios always do this with blockbusters unless the director has proven themselves. That's why I'm surprised they did it on this film but if Marvel's interference has worked on all the other ones why fix something that's not broken?

Let's not forget how Edgar Wright nearly single handedly ****ed up the entire MCU without even having making a movie yet. Sure he probably would have made a really cool Ant Man film but if it didn't make sense in the Universe that Marvel have created, it would be pointless.

Because of Wright we lost out on Henry Pym being the creator of Ultron.
We lost out on Henry Pym fighting along side his wife Wasp and The Avengers we know and love today.

Studio's do **** movies up royally but at the same time, these directors visions are not perfect. I for one loved the Infinity Stones reveal scene, Thors mission not so much but the reveal scene was beautiful. And that was Marvel according to this.

I don't want studio interference but I don't want directors to start making a movie that makes no sense in the MCU. They tried that with Wright and it caused a 6 year hiatus and a loss of one of the orginal Avengers to become a side note character.

I cant figure out if he is saying he wanted to keep those parts in or take them out. Thor's Bath and Hawkeye's farm.

Please...

Whedon wanted it all in the movie. Disney wanted to cut part of the farm house scenes and Thor in the pool. Whedon fought hard for both, and Disney eventually said "either you cut the pool or you cut the farm."

As you saw, Whedon chose the farm.

None of those are in a cinematic universe, so comparing them is a waste of time. I'd think that would be obvious.

Damn hafizbat beat me too it.
But basically what he said. You cant have a cinematic universe and have completely different tones in the movies

Please...

Marvel apparenlty weren't fond of the farm sequence or the dreams.

Whedon's original sequence for Thor and Selvig that was much more involved, with Thor being possesed by the spirits and Selvig asking them questions etc, didn't play well with test audiences.

Marvel basically gave Joss an ultimatum, he could keep the farm OR the cave, not both. So Thor's cave & pool got cut down to bare minimum.

Glad he kept the farm scenes. Those were nice scenes

Absolutely. The farm scenes, dream sequence, and the party scenes were some of the best character moments in the film. Just seeing these guys be normal, or dealing with their demons was so interesting.

It's true that some of this is part of the push-and-pull process of moviemaking. The studio wants something, the producers want something, and the director wants something, and where those somethings differ there needs to be negotiation. Generally this is contentious but not hostile, and if it becomes such it probably just means that the respective moviemakers aren't a good fit for each other on that project. I suspect this is what happened with MacLaren on WW.

And then sometimes you have a studio that really doesn't give a flip about making a good movie and will dictate to the director how he should go about blowing his nose, or they will ditch him or her entirely and grab up someone who will make the piece of crap they dictate. And just as often it's the director who is being a petulant little brat who holds his artistic vision above all and insists that removing the part where Wonder Woman goes through menopause would be an unacceptable compromise of his integrity. Directors are notorious for that.

Whedon's situation seems mostly the first one, with some frustration that one particular issue was more like the second. If it was really that big a deal, he's smart enough not to talk about it.

Marvel apparenlty weren't fond of the farm sequence or the dreams.

Whedon's original sequence for Thor and Selvig that was much more involved, with Thor being possesed by the spirits and Selvig asking them questions etc, didn't play well with test audiences.

Marvel basically gave Joss an ultimatum, he could keep the farm OR the cave, not both. So Thor's cave & pool got cut down to bare minimum.
Gotcha thanks.
Whedon wanted it all in the movie. Disney wanted to cut part of the farm house scenes and Thor in the pool. Whedon fought hard for both, and Disney eventually said "either you cut the pool or you cut the farm."

As you saw, Whedon chose the farm.
I saw that it was this statement..(If you thought that scene in Avengers: Age of Ultron with Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard) in the cave felt tacked on, you have a pal who agrees with you and his name is… Joss Whedon? )... that threw me off until I re-read it.At first glance it looks like he was against it but in reality he was aginst how it was played out as just a snippet instead of all of it.

Let's not forget how Edgar Wright nearly single handedly ****ed up the entire MCU without even having making a movie yet. Sure he probably would have made a really cool Ant Man film but if it didn't make sense in the Universe that Marvel have created, it would be pointless.

Because of Wright we lost out on Henry Pym being the creator of Ultron.
We lost out on Henry Pym fighting along side his wife Wasp and The Avengers we know and love today.

Studio's do **** movies up royally but at the same time, these directors visions are not perfect. I for one loved the Infinity Stones reveal scene, Thors mission not so much but the reveal scene was beautiful. And that was Marvel according to this.

I don't want studio interference but I don't want directors to start making a movie that makes no sense in the MCU. They tried that with Wright and it caused a 6 year hiatus and a loss of one of the orginal Avengers to become a side note character.
I know I know and just like that after like 40 -50 yeas almost time served Hank Pym is out.

And then sometimes you have a studio that really doesn't give a flip about making a good movie and will dictate to the director how he should go about blowing his nose, or they will ditch him or her entirely and grab up someone who will make the piece of crap they dictate. And just as often it's the director who is being a petulant little brat who holds his artistic vision above all and insists that removing the part where Wonder Woman goes through menopause would be an unacceptable compromise of his integrity. Directors are notorious for that.
Because many studios have yet to take the Comic Genre seriously not so with Marvel as they are the company.
I guess Marvel and Disney in it of itself are creative and that's why its different they are more then just Stuff Shirts in suits...So these 2 companies are artistic and creative in there own right so will have a much bigger say and input.

Whedon's situation seems mostly the first one, with some frustration that one particular issue was more like the second. If it was really that big a deal, he's smart enough not to talk about it.
Nah Im just thinking its an Ego.Thing as in...Hey if you didn't like it guess what it wasnt my fault!"...Its an Artist thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"