Wheel of Time

The Wheel of Time, which has sold over 90M books around the world, is set in a sprawling, epic world where magic exists, but only women can use it. The story follows Moiraine, a member of the shadowy and influential all-female organization called the ‘Aes Sedai’ as she embarks on a dangerous, world-spanning journey with five young men and women. Moiraine believes one of them might be the reincarnation of an incredibly powerful individual, whom prophecies say will either save humanity or destroy it. The series draws on numerous elements of European and Asian culture and philosophy, most notably the cyclical nature of time found in Buddhism and Hinduism.
The Wheel of Time is endlessly fascinating and resonates hugely with fans as one of the best-selling global properties, and we were drawn to its timely narrative featuring powerful women at the core,” said Amazon’s Salke. “We’re thrilled to extend our relationship with devotees who’ve found the book series transformative and welcome new ones by bringing it to life on Prime Video for viewers worldwide.”

“Developing and producing Robert Jordan’s beloved fourteen-books-series for TV is a big undertaking, and we don’t take it lightly,” said Sharon Tal Yguado, Head of Event Series, Amazon Originals. “We believe that Rafe’s personal connection to the material and soulful writing will resonate with the book’s passionate fans.”

“We are thrilled to have the opportunity to produce The Wheel of Time with our friends at Amazon,” said Sony Pictures Television Co-President Chris Parnell. “In Rafe Judkins, we’ve found a brilliant visionary that is a true fan of the books and ready to bring Robert Jordan’s world to life.”

I read the first book back in the mid-1990s but never continued on. I barely remember it, I remember the characters and stuff had a lot of weird names and I remember having trouble keeping track of all the names.

Excellent news. Read all the books and really liked the series as a whole (there are a few books that do let it down though).

Nice. I ve read some books but it was a long time ago. I only remember the name of the women order because it was cool.... Aes Sedaï.

I know literally nothing about this show, though I'm willing to bet that by the end of it, if not the middle somewhere, there'll be men that are able to use magic too.

Started reading the first book when I was 17! The first few were really good, until they started getting way too cumbersome and character heavy. I hope this goes ahead though, I'll give it a shot!

Just finishing eye of the world and i am hooked. I love these news. With dark hair, she will look absolutely perfect imo.

Pike's a really good pick. Moiraine is supposed to be quite short, but I won't be too picky about height for her. For certain other characters however, like Rand & Perrin, their physicality is a big part of their character.

They better not f*** this up, it's my favourite series in any medium. Started reading it in 2002. It should be Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones level quality.

I know literally nothing about this show, though I'm willing to bet that by the end of it, if not the middle somewhere, there'll be men that are able to use magic too.

Going forward I'll refrain from posting book spoilers, but this one is not a spoiler to say since this will be the state of the world at the point where the story picks up.

There are men who can use magic (channel). Unfortunately for them the male half of the source of magic (the One Power) is tainted, and using it will drive them insane in time, potentially resulting in a lot of destruction and death. A particular sect of Aes Sedai (the Red Ajah) is dedicated to hunting down male channelers and severing their ability to channel before any harm is done.

I thought it was a really uneven series of books, started really strong , got lost in the middle, and was revitalized by the death of Jordan and Brandon Sanderson finishing the series.
(Wasn't really a fan of the last book, but I think that was more on Jordan than Sanderson).

Everyone looks great. 'Nynaeve' and 'Aybara' always sounded exotic to me, so im pleased to see non white actors. Egwene is a surprise but i can totally see this girl in the role. Cant wait for more announcements!

Exciting to see progress on this.

Madden was good in Picnic at Hanging Rock, think she's a good pick.

Don't really know much about the rest but they're a pretty lot, at least, ha.

I really admire the approach they've taken with the casting and I think it is somewhat supported by the world and how Jordan wrote the people groups.

Acting chops wise, Pike and Madden are the only ones I'm confident about, but I think there are signs of promise with all the members they've announced so far. Zoe Robins is the one I am most hesitant about but it's hard to judge when all I've seen is her Power Rangers role.

Pike and Harris seem like they will be quite right in their parts.

Very keen on this. Loved the series as a whole regardless of some hefty boring stuff...
I wonder how they will translate a lot of the different nationalities. Very keen to see the Aiel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"