Where did "Phase" come from?

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Lord, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Lord All Mighty

When did Marvel begin to call their first 6 films phases? I remember that when i made the MCU: Phase II thread it wasn't called that yet, i called it that because at the time i was interested in the cancelled Star Trek: Phase II tv show and thought the name would fit. Only months after did i see them calling the next series of movies Phase II.

Coincidence or are Marvel execs keeping an eye on these forums? :oldrazz:

2. JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

It makes sense

3. spideymouse Registered

I think Feige first said "phase one" at NYCC 2011, 5 months after you coined it. Nice job influencing the vocabulary surrounding a major pop culture icon!

4. ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Clearly they are ripping off DC. I mean, what happens when you switch "Phase II" around? You get "Two-Face."

Seriously Marvel, try not to be so obvious. :o

5. Spidey-Quad Registered

I always assume that it came from the Star Trek universe. "Set phase on stun!"

6. spideymouse Registered

Did some digging. Maybe you guys will remember this from back then Apparently Clark Gregg called what is now known as Phase I "a first act in this giant epic that they're attempting" in an interview with Time Magazine in September 2010. Interestingly enough, this is what he said later about a possible Agent Coulson movie: "I’m ready. I’m waiting for that call. Definitely Agent Coulson is really shrewd, he doesn’t get into fights that he can’t win. So he’s waiting for the right moment, for a feeble enough opponent to come along." Ironic, huh?

A week later that year, Time dubbed what we now call Phase II as "Marvel's Movie Act 2," referring to a quote by Paul Gitter, president-consumer products for Marvel Entertainment, about Marvel Studios possibly building towards a second large event in 2017.

It's funny to quote really old articles, but it's also interesting from a historical standpoint!

7. kaijunexus Marvel Cinematic Universe

The Lord sayeth, the Marvel useth.

8. misjuevos WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

i always think of the onslaught crossover event. it was full of phase 1's and 2's, and impact 1&2.

9. redhawk23 Wrestlin'

I've always found it interesting that their terms reflect the Shield weapons program.

10. CaptainCraig Registered

^^^^
    I thought that was an interesting coincidence as well.