Rogue One Where do you rank Rogue One?

I'm putting this at or behind ROTJ. Definitely ahead of the prequels. I think I'm currently at:

The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

The OT, TFA, and RO are all edging each other out. I hate ranking them now because it fluctuates with mood.

Been watching these films in theatres since the '79 release and my rankings go as follows.

1. Empire Strikes Back 10/10
2. A New Hope 9/10
2B. Rogue One 9/10
4. Return of the Jedi 8/10
5. The Force Awakens 7.5/10
6. Revenge of the Sith 6.5/10
7. Attack of the Clones 5.5/10
8. Phantom Menace 4/10

I have no feelings on Rogue One. I wasn't thrilled by it, nor did I hate it. It was ok.

It's the best of the prequels that's for sure. But that's not really a hard thing to achieve.

Over all it had too many flaws to make it a really enjoyable film. And I wasn't sold on any of the main characters motivations. They felt flip-floppy, and that she was doing things because the script said so. There wasn't really enough time given to the other characters to flesh them out enough for me to care either. And the beach ending is clearly reshot to be different.

However the worst offender is the CGI Tarkin, who I found to be very distasteful and mildly offensive. Also, really bad CGI.

So I'd go:
RO

It's better than Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace. It's a tossup between Revenge of the Sith and RO. Not better than any of the original Trilogy, and not better than The Force Awakens.

Below anything in the OT. Above anything in the PT. Interchangeable with The Force Awakens.

Its interesting, RO and TFA are really two sides of the same coin. In the Rogue One review thread, I said that this movie lacked that certain "it" (whatever "it is") that Star Wars special, memorable and magical. TFA on the other hand, relied to heavily on the it and used the OT's magic as a crutch.

Last edited:
Below anything in the OT. Above anything in the PT. Interchangeable with The Force Awakens.

Its interesting, the RO and TFA are really two sides of the same coin. In the Rogue One review thread, I said that this movie lacked that certain "it" (whatever "it is") that Star Wars special, memorable and magical. TFA on the other hand, relied to heavily on the it and used the OT's magic as a crutch.

I agree with this, but I put TFA above, because of the actors. Daisy Ridley is a tremendous actress, and she has a ton of charisma. Same with John Boyega.

The only actor who was charismatic in Rogue One was Alan Tudyk who played the Robot. That speaks volumes.

I'd rate

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) The Force Awakens
3) A New Hope
4) Return of the Jedi
5) Rogue One
6) Revenge of the Sith
7) The Phantom Menance
8) Attack of the Clones

Looks like I'm the only one here who has Revenge of the Sith in my top 3. I just love that film. The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, however, are definitely my bottom 2.

As for a complete list, I'll wait until I've seen Rogue One another couple times. I'm just not sure where it fits in yet.

1) Return of the Jedi

2) Revenge of the Sith

3) A New Hope

4) The Force Awakens

5) Attack of the Clones

6) Rogue One

7) Empire Strikes Back

8) The Phantom Menance

1) Return of the Jedi

2) Revenge of the Sith

3) A New Hope

4) The Force Awakens

5) Attack of the Clones

6) Rogue One

7) Empire Strikes Back

8) The Phantom Menance

Futurama-Fry.jpg

It's kind of odd to see TESB below Episodes 2 and 3. Also below Rogue One.

You just called Sir Alec Gunniess, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Peter Cushing, Ewan McGregor, Forrest Whitaker, Donnie Yen, and many others terrible actors. Are you sure on that one?

The rest range from fine to brilliant, but god, Whitaker was so bad it was unbelievable. From his first line to his last, that was absolutely painful to watch.

1) A New Hope
2) The Empire Strikes Back
3) The Force Awakens
4) Return of the Jedi
5) Rogue One
6) Revenge of the Sith
7) Attack of the Clones
8) The Phantom Menace

Unfortunately, it's in last place for me. Never thought I'd see another Star Wars film as bad as the prequels, let alone worse. Just an absolute squandering of opportunity, talent and story. At least the prequels have some good qualities, which are just outweighed by what a wreck the narratives are. This film has barely anything going for it.

I don't think we watched the same movie...

Unfortunately, it's in last place for me. Never thought I'd see another Star Wars film as bad as the prequels, let alone worse. Just an absolute squandering of opportunity, talent and story. At least the prequels have some good qualities, which are just outweighed by what a wreck the narratives are. This film has barely anything going for it.
I agree with this, but it looks like we're the only ones around here with that sentiment.

Can anyone honestly tell me what was so good about this movie? That Darth Vader scene was cool... but what else? None of the main characters left a lasting impression. Honestly, I don't even remember a single one of their names. Nobody in my theatre seemed to care when any one of them died (and all of them did die). It seemed like I was supposed to be emotionally invested in characters with paper thin back stories, or no back stories, varying from displaying either cartoonish personalities or no personality whatsoever. Suddenly Qui-Gon looks charismatic.

As for the plot... it was remarkably boring. When your characters are this dull and everyone already knows what the story's outcome will be, it's really hard not to get bored. The plot revolved around getting the plans of the Death Star, but the narrative was extremely muddled and literally went all over place. I lost count of how many planet names appeared on the screen.

The rest range from fine to brilliant, but god, Whitaker was so bad it was unbelievable. From his first line to his last, that was absolutely painful to watch.

The fact that they had to re-film all his scenes just to give him a different hair cut, shows you how bad he was.

I agree with this, but it looks like we're the only ones around here with that sentiment.

Can anyone honestly tell me what was so good about this movie? That Darth Vader scene was cool... but what else? None of the main characters left a lasting impression. Honestly, I don't even remember a single one of their names. Nobody in my theatre seemed to care when any one of them died (and all of them did die). It seemed like I was supposed to be emotionally invested in characters with paper thin back stories, or no back stories, varying from displaying either cartoonish personalities or no personality whatsoever. Suddenly Qui-Gon looks charismatic.

As for the plot... it was remarkably boring. When your characters are this dull and everyone already knows what the story's outcome will be, it's really hard not to get bored. The plot revolved around getting the plans of the Death Star, but the narrative was extremely muddled and literally went all over place. I lost count of how many planet names appeared on the screen.
- I found Jyn to be a very interesting and compelling character, for who I felt a great deal of compassion and love for.

- I found the rest of the Rogue One team incredibly likable and the Chirrut/Baze bromance awesome.

- I found [BLACKOUT]Tarkin[/BLACKOUT] and Vader incredibly compelling.

- Perhaps the finest space battle in cinema history.

- An emotional finale that makes good use of the entire crew.

- Jyn seeing her father's message.

- It is a rather well shot, beautiful film.

Last edited:
I agree with this, but I put TFA above, because of the actors. Daisy Ridley is a tremendous actress, and she has a ton of charisma. Same with John Boyega.

The only actor who was charismatic in Rogue One was Alan Tudyk who played the Robot. That speaks volumes.
I had a hard time watching Felicity Jones, as most of the time she just looked like she'd wandered on set and was told, "look at that thing, NO! That thing..." or "now it's time to be sad". Really distracting for your lead to be like this.

With TFA, everything felt better thought out. Like they knew exactly what the character was supposed to do, why they were doing it, what they'd do next.

Brilliant is a bit of a stretch. Everything was passable. It was all ok.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. The Force Awakens
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Attack of the Clones
8. Rogue One

The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Force Awakens
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. Rogue One
The rest are garbage

Looks like I'm the only one here who has Revenge of the Sith in my top 3. I just love that film. The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, however, are definitely my bottom 2.

As for a complete list, I'll wait until I've seen Rogue One another couple times. I'm just not sure where it fits in yet.
No, you're not :cwink:

As of right now, this is my rank:
1. ANH
2. ROTS
3. ESB
4. RO
5. ROTJ

I go back and forth when raking the other three, so i'll leave them tied for now, ha!

For me RO is a great cousin to the main movies, and while there's some things that i'm not too sure of, at the end of the day it had me on the edge of my seat and nearly crying at the end. I say it got the job done lol.

As of right now, I have it

A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Force Awakens
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

I finally watched it last night and it's definitely better than any other live action film released as a Star Wars film after 1980. Beautifully photographed, acted and scored. Some narrative and editing quirks, but nothing I couldn't roll with. And who'da thunk my favorite characters would be...a blind guy...and a droid?!

Plus, Rogue One is sure as hell better than that movie we got last year. Good job, Gareth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"