Civil War Where does Civil War rank in your top 5 MCU films (NO SPOILERS)

Am I the only one in here who doesn't have The Winter Soldier in their top 5?

The usual suspects for top 5 are Iron Man, TWS, Avengers, GOTG & CW (in no particular order).

Seek a healthcare professional immediately. :o

The movie just didn't sit well with me. I was bored and found it predictable. I've seen it twice and the second time didn't change my mind either lol. Maybe I need a third viewing? Ant-Man and the first Cap movies are both decent in my opinion, but they're only in the top 5 because GOTG, TA and IM are the only films I really really like.

The movie just didn't sit well with me. I was bored and found it predictable. I've seen it twice and the second time didn't change my mind either lol. Maybe I need a third viewing?

Nah. You're not going to change your mind.

The usual suspects for top 5 are Iron Man, TWS, Avengers, GOTG & CW (in no particular order).

Eventually I'm going to score everyone's rankings, add up the points and come up with a definitive ranking of the top 5.

Cool. In that case I'll have to do a proper ranking rather just an unordered list of the top 5. The results will be very interesting. I think Civil War will win but don't know in what order the others will come.

OK saw it for a second time tonight and here's my current top 5:

1- Civil War
2- Avengers
3- The Winter Soldier
4- Iron Man
5- Ant-Man

2, 3 & 4 are somehow hard to rank for me as I consider them almost equally good but Civil War is clearly the superior entry in the MCU canon. No two ways about it.

1. Civil War
2. Avengers
3. Iron Man
4. Winter Soldier

I don't really have a fifth. Those are clearly the best four to me. A lot of the others are decent but not great (The First Avenger, Guardians, Ant-Man, Iron Man 2, Hulk, Thor) and some are pretty bad (Ultron, Iron Man 3, The Dark World).

Civil War beats Avengers because there is a genuine sense of peril and a weight to the conflict - as well as a fun script. Avengers was great for two thirds of the film, but a final battle against a horde of faceless aliens got pretty boring. It can't match the emotional resonance of characters we have come to care about coming to blows.

Marvel is at its best when it balances the lighthearted, quippy stuff with more substantial themes and a sense of real danger. It fails when it gets this balance wrong - almost always because films are undermined when they are obsessed with not taking themselves seriously. Civil War gets the balance right.

1. The Winter Soldier
2. Civil War
3. The Avengers/Age of Ultron
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Iron Man 3

1. Civil War
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Avengers
4. Iron Man
5. Ant-Man

1. Avengers
2. Civil War
3. Winter Soldier
4. Iron Man
5. Captain America: The First Avenger

1. Civil War
2. Avengers
3. The Winter Soldier
4. Iron Man
5. First Avenger

1. Civil War
2. Avengers
3. The Winter Soldier
4. Iron Man
5. Iron Man 3

1. Captain America: Civil War
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Iron Man 3
4. Iron Man
[big gap]
5. Captain America: The First Avenger

1. Winter Soldier
2. Avengers
3. Iron Man
4. Civil War
5. Guardians

Unfortunately, Civil War doesn't even make my top 5. It has some bright spots, but for me was too formulaic, contrived and conventional. It took no dramatic risks, and on top of that (once again) had a weak villain. Marvel really needs to do something about that. It almost seems intentional now.

1. Iron Man
2. The Incredible Hulk
3. Avengers: Age of Ultron
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5. Thor

(Numbers 4 and 5 are roughly equal to me, I'm still unsure what order I'd put them in.)

6. Captain America: The First Avenger
7. Iron Man 3
8. Captain America: Civil War
9. Iron Man 2
10. Thor: The Dark World
11. Marvel's The Avengers
12. Ant-Man
13. Guardians of the Galaxy

It's in my top 5 but it's not my favorite. As much as I enjoyed it I don't think it's as great as the first Avengers movie. I definately put the first Iron Man movie over it to. One thing that counts for me is how much I enjoy watching a movie. I just didn't enjoy TWS as much as Avengers, Iron Man, & even GOTG.

1. Captain America: Civil War
2. Marvel's The Avengers
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Iron Man
5. Iron Man 3

1. Civil War
2. Avengers
3. The Winter Soldier
4. Iron Man
5. Ant-Man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back