Iron Man 2 Where does Iron Man 2 stand among other superhero sequels?

TDK
Spidey 2
Iron Man 2
X2
The Punisher?

Near the bottom, above FF2 and TMNT2, below everything else.

EDIT: Oh, and I was talking only about the second parts. Of course it's above some awful third and fourth parts.

Last edited:
1) Iron Man 2
2) The Incredible Hulk (I'm not sure if we can talk about a sequel).
3) Spider-Man 3
4)Spider-man 2
5) Batman Return
6)Superman 2

I don't like the Dark Knight (one of the worst sequel imo), I prefer Batman Begins.

1)
I don't like the Dark Knight (one of the worst sequel imo), I prefer Batman Begins.

I'm not singling out drax here and this rant is not specifically about TDK, but I'm really annoyed when good films are called worst something, something/ or something to that extent.

I'm not singling out drax here and this rant is not specifically about TDK, but I'm really annoyed when good films are called worst something, something/ or something to that extent.

I have also said "imo", so I just give my opinion about TDK, lot of peoples love this movie but I have found this sequel really mediocre.

now i know this is not a spider-man forum, but i really don't get why spider-man 2 gets so much love. i really do find it to be a bit of a carbon copy to superman II where he wants to give up his powers to get the girl. that's essentially the story for spider-man 2. where the dark knight and even iron man 2 are different, at least they attempted to do creative things. even with x2. i'm a huge superman fan so i'm going to be biased about put that as number 1, so don't flame me too bad as i know it's not what most people would agree with and say that i'm crazy, but it's what i grew up with lol.

1. superman II
2. The Dark Knight
3. X2
4. Iron Man 2
5. Transformers 2: ok ok ok, i'm probably going to lose all credibility for this one but i'll explain. i'm a transformers fan and as bad as the film is, it had some cool optimus prime scenes and again, i'd have to go for originality. it wasn't really about giving up powers to get the girl.

i dont know, sorry for all the hate on spider-man, but i just feel that the most recent cartoon, spectacular spider-man was far superior than any of the movies. it had humor, charm, and action. it's what i would like to see in a live action movie for spider-man which i don't think we got in the raimi movies.

so you question the quality of SM2 and then go on to list transformers 2 in your top 5. :doh:

transformer 2 is comfortably (COMFORTABLY!!) the worst movie I have ever seen.

I have also said "imo", so I just give my opinion about TDK, lot of peoples love this movie but I have found this sequel really mediocre.

Yeah i know it's only an opinion, but to call it "worst" is not fine (by me at least). I don't want to really talk about TDK in an Iron Man forum or any other forum not about Batman as I might get accused of being a blind fanboy because of the user name. I think TDK being critically acclaimed is not how about they get the comic book character portrayed right/wrong in live-action; how the action scenes are well/not well done; how confusing/not confusing the plot is (general complaints I've stumbled upon) but rather how the film is able to tell a very powerful, emotional and thematically rich story.

so you question the quality of SM2 and then go on to list transformers 2 in your top 5. :doh:

transformer 2 is comfortably (COMFORTABLY!!) the worst movie I have ever seen.

the topic of the thread is "where does iron man 2 stand among other superheroes" which can be taken in a few different ways. is it on quality or enjoyment? or is it both? it's quite subjective. if you're going for quality, what kind of quality? technically speaking, transformers is a master piece when it comes to making big huge transformers come to life. is the story or the dialogue quite up to par? maybe not for some. now when you talk about quality, do you mean how much money it made? transformers 2 did quite well at the box office so that means it must have had repeat viewings, which means people must have enjoyed it on some level. same can be said for spider-man 2. but with that said, for the general audience most probably have not seen superman II or it is not nearly as fresh in their minds as mine,because it is a new generation of viewers. while i am only 28, i have been a huge fan of superman since i was 4 years old, so for me; spider-man 2 seems too much of a copy from superman II.

whereas transformers, while it had its many faults seemed like a more new concept and story. it may not have been what it could have or should have been, but how does one define quality? i'm going by enjoyment factor and i enjoyed transformers 1 alot more than transformers 2, but we're talking about sequels here. as a sequel, i thought transformers 2 just seemed like a fresher concept while taking things from past mythology like the matrix. i find that i can re watch transformers 2 more than spider-man 2. while transformers 2 may have been one of, if not the, worst movie you ever saw, than you are more than entitled to your opinion. transformers 2 had bad dialogue but i find as characters they didn't stray as far away from the source material as spider-man 2. spider-man 2 was almost a retread of spider-man 1 where someone who is a mentor to him turns into a bad guy, he wants to be with mj, and is dealing with his powers. spider-man 2 had some redeeming qualities but i find that it is not quite as good as the original.

TDK, X2 and SM2 were clearly better in my mind. I'm not a Spider-Man fan but I was never bored watching the second film and the schmaltz was kept in relative check to the action and humour.

The superhero genre has become so crowded (and will get moreso thanks to Marvel's plans) that filmmakers really have to create something special for their work to stand out in it.

I think Favreau and co had good intentions with this film but, sadly, in a couple of years time not many will give it much thought. It's got too many flaws to even be a great popcorn movie like the first one. Their responsibility now is to make a really great third film that wasn't blatantly rushed by the studio.

Last edited:
1 Spidey 3.
2 Iron Man 2
3 Spider-Man 2
4 Batman Returns
5 TDK
6 Spider-Man 2

Whoops! I also forgot about Superman 2.

Some of the best lines from a villain ever!

"Come to me, Superman! I defy you! Come and kneel before Zod! Zod!"

"I see you are practiced in worshiping things that fly. Good. Now, rise before Zod."

President: "I'm the President. I'll kneel before you, if it will save lives."
Zod: "It will, starting with your own."

"I win. I always win. Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?"

You gotta love that pompous bastard.

Agreed...Zod was awesome. No one mentions him that much when talk of great SH villains abounds.

If we are talking about 2nd movies:

1. Superman 2
  2. Iron Man 2
  3. Spider-Man 2
  4. X2
  5. Batman Returns
If we are talking about any sequel:

1. Superman 2
  2. Iron Man 2
  3. Spider-Man 2
  4. X2
  5. Batman Begins

1 Spidey 3.
2 Iron Man 2
3 Spider-Man 2
4 Batman Returns
5 TDK
6 Spider-Man 2

i'm surprised anybody would put spider-man 3 as their number 1, but if you're a spider man fan, thats understandable. just so you know that spider-man 2 is listed their twice. either you like it that much or you meant something else. just out of curiousity, what did you like about spider-man 3? i really wished they had more venom in that movie. and more peter in the black suit.

I find TDK extremely boring myself. Not exactly sure what is supposed to be so good about it. Ledger is amazing...but nothing else works for me. I really don't think I could ever endure sitting through it again. Feels like a 7 hour movie. Definitely one of my least favorite SH movies.

I don't like Batman Returns. I love Catwoman in the film, but Tim Burton's directing and writing style just became too overbearing for me to enjoy the film. And this is coming from someone who likes Tim Burton.
I love the film because of the three main characters (Batman, Catwoman & The Penguin). Burton did something unique with them by making them represent symbols, as opposed to generics.

There's a lot to enjoy about Batman Returns and it's one of the most visually interesting entries into the genre... but it ultimately fails for me because at no time throughout the movie is Batman conveyed as particularly heroic. He just walks around Gotham without a clue.

Still, I don't regret the movie's existence.

1) The Dark Knight
2) X2

I'm not really sure...........

1. The Dark Knight
2. Iron Man 2
3. X2: X-Men United
4. Superman Returns
5. Spider-Man 2

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man 2
3. X2
4. Iron Man 2

I won't list a fifth, because frankly the gap between the top 4 and the rest is significant. I'd probably have to choose something like Batman Forever or Superman 2 and neither belongs on a list with the top 4. As for Iron Man 2, it is a ton of fun and I wouldn't really want it any other way, but the story doesn't work as well as that of TDK, SM2 & X2 and thus I have it fourth. The plot isn't that strong, but the acting is comparable to Dark Knight as the best in the genre.

You're completely insane.

I'm sorry,did my list not hit home close enough for ya? :whatever:

Not everyone thinks that the usual suspects that are comic book movie sequels that got lots of good reviews from movie critics are that good. I'm not a blind fanboy of comic book movies.

Last edited:
I'm sorry,did my list not hit home close enough for ya? :whatever:

Not everyone thinks that the usual suspects that are comic book sequels are that good. I'm not a blind fanboy of comic book movies.

I assume people thought were blind when you made that list. I kid, I kid. :hehe:

I think we've all grown old and a little cynical. I think if I'd seen SM3 at a 7 seven year old I would have absolutely loved the heck out of it.

Last edited:
that's true. that's why i was being tongue in cheek with the kid. hopefully it's not too mean spirited

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"