Iron Man 2 Where does Iron Man 2 stand among other superhero sequels?

the topic of the thread is "where does iron man 2 stand among other superheroes" which can be taken in a few different ways. is it on quality or enjoyment? or is it both? it's quite subjective. if you're going for quality, what kind of quality? technically speaking, transformers is a master piece when it comes to making big huge transformers come to life. is the story or the dialogue quite up to par? maybe not for some. now when you talk about quality, do you mean how much money it made? transformers 2 did quite well at the box office so that means it must have had repeat viewings, which means people must have enjoyed it on some level. same can be said for spider-man 2. but with that said, for the general audience most probably have not seen superman II or it is not nearly as fresh in their minds as mine,because it is a new generation of viewers. while i am only 28, i have been a huge fan of superman since i was 4 years old, so for me; spider-man 2 seems too much of a copy from superman II.

whereas transformers, while it had its many faults seemed like a more new concept and story. it may not have been what it could have or should have been, but how does one define quality? i'm going by enjoyment factor and i enjoyed transformers 1 alot more than transformers 2, but we're talking about sequels here. as a sequel, i thought transformers 2 just seemed like a fresher concept while taking things from past mythology like the matrix. i find that i can re watch transformers 2 more than spider-man 2. while transformers 2 may have been one of, if not the, worst movie you ever saw, than you are more than entitled to your opinion. transformers 2 had bad dialogue but i find as characters they didn't stray as far away from the source material as spider-man 2. spider-man 2 was almost a retread of spider-man 1 where someone who is a mentor to him turns into a bad guy, he wants to be with mj, and is dealing with his powers. spider-man 2 had some redeeming qualities but i find that it is not quite as good as the original.

Okay I'm gonna stop you here. Transformers 2's concept was muddled up and confusing. It was almost as bad as the actual execution of the concept. Concept doesn't matter though if its so terribly executed.

And thats a terrible reason to hate on Spiderman 2. It did introduce something new and had a completely new theme. The theme of Spiderman 2 was sacrifice, and its funny that you didn't realize that seeing that your top two films (The Dark Knight and Superman 2) dealed with the same thing. A hero giving up (or pondering giving up) his hero persona in order to lead a normal life. Many things were better than the original (also a good film); the action, the villain, the dialogue. Though Peter Parker was Peter Parker in a Spiderman suit instead of Spiderman, it wasn't a bad as it was going to be in 3 and I could accept because the film was good.

Meanwhile Transformers 2 was a mess. The actions wasn't as good as the first one (which I deviated to the locations of the battle and those stupid sword things). The acting was awful. The dialogue was terrible. The characters (the ones introduced in the second) were stupid. Worst of all, and I can't believe I would say this about a Transformers movie, but it was boring! It was so boring. Michael Bay managed to make a film about fighting robots boring. Worst of all, he took the only redeeming character (Optimus Prime) out of the film for most of the middle of the film. The film was just downright insulting and there's no way I'm seeing Transformers 3.

Last edited:
It was definitely the worst film I've ever seen, mostly because I tend to avoid terrible films, but I wish I avoided this one.

It was definitely the worst film I've ever seen, mostly because I tend to avoid terrible films, but I wish I avoided this one.

I've never walked out on a film I have paid to watch at the cinema, but I came very very close with TF2

Even though I have never falling asleep or walked out a film, I came incredibly close to falling asleep during TF2, but it wasn't as close as I was to falling asleep during Fast and Furious.

my problem with TF 2, excluding the geek stuff, is that the Transformers besides Prime, Bee, Megatron and StarScream, were not treated as characters. Ironhide and the original bots were barely in the film, and the rest were just specticle. In fact, the humans were more in focus in part 2, I thought, which saddens me because I don't think anyone really cares for them. we care for the bots.

my problem with TF 2, excluding the geek stuff, is that the Transformers besides Prime, Bee, Megatron and StarScream, were not treated as characters. Ironhide and the original bots were barely in the film, and the rest were just specticle. In fact, the humans were more in focus in part 2, I thought, which saddens me because I don't think anyone really cares for them. we care for the bots.

I think the Transformers who got little to no screen time in TF:ROTF have more personality and personality despite what many think,it just isn't obvious to them at all when watching the movie,imo. But I am not going to touch on it because I know people here in the appropriate forum will start bothering me about it and calling b.s. on it because of me. If I wasn't a constant absolutist or so stuck on hating the movie like many,then I personally think that I wouldn't think that there is more personality than there is regarding the new Transformers,and Protoforms. I don't love subtle stuff really,but I don't hate it either,so I don't need being hit over the head with information all the time.

Last edited:
...overall, The Dark Knight, X2, Spider-Man 2, Blade II, Iron Man 2=Batman Returns...

...overall, The Dark Knight, X2, Spider-Man 2, Blade II, Iron Man 2=Batman Returns...

I don't think Ironman 2 comes close to being like Batman Returns,it didn't have a sad ending like it and wasn't dark enough. One major thing they share is the parents thing,Stark and Ivan's parents being dead.

Iron Man 2
The Dark Knight
Superman 2
Hellboy 2 the golden army
Spiderman 2
Batman Returns

I find TDK extremely boring myself. Not exactly sure what is supposed to be so good about it. Ledger is amazing...but nothing else works for me. I really don't think I could ever endure sitting through it again. Feels like a 7 hour movie. Definitely one of my least favorite SH movies.

Agreed. I don't find the movie extremely boring but it does have pacing issues (feels very disjointed) and it's an average film anytime Heath Ledger isn't on the screen to keep things interesting. TDK is definitely the Joker's movie and he steals the show (a criticism Burton's Batman got). As the title character Bruce Wayne/Batman is as uninteresting as he can get. Same goes for support characters like Rachel Dawes. And the third act which feels tacked on makes TDK feel like an eternity. Those are the main reasons this movie has little replay value with me.

I don't think Ironman 2 comes close to being like Batman Returns,it didn't have a sad ending like it and wasn't dark enough. One major thing they share is the parents thing,Stark and Ivan's parents being dead.

I assume he means it's comparable in quality rather than thematically.

i'm surprised anybody would put spider-man 3 as their number 1, but if you're a spider man fan, thats understandable. just so you know that spider-man 2 is listed their twice. either you like it that much or you meant something else. just out of curiousity, what did you like about spider-man 3? i really wished they had more venom in that movie. and more peter in the black suit.

*sees list*

:doh:

I meant to put baman forever. But I like all of SM3

My "Top Five Superhero Sequels of All-Time" would go as following:

5.) X-Men 2
4.) Superman 2
3.) The Dark Knight
2.) Blade 2
1.) Spider-Man 2

As much as i loved Iron Man 2, it wasn't CLASSIC enough to make my Top 5. Spider-Man 2 and Blade 2 were, IMO- the BEST Superhero sequels of ALL TIME.

See, for me, I'm just really not a fan of SM2. I never have been. I can understand that it's a very good movie, but as an adaptation of my favorite character, I thought it left a lot to be desired.

I'm really unsure where I'd put Iron Man 2 amongst other super hero sequels. I think I'm going to have to see IM2 a couple more times before I really know. I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was great :D

See, for me, I'm just really not a fan of SM2. I never have been. I can understand that it's a very good movie, but as an adaptation of my favorite character, I thought it left a lot to be desired.
I have the same feelings with The Joker in TDK.

I just got out of the theater, and I have to say, I like IM2 a lot. I think I have to go see it again, as there was a rip on the screen, and it was almost in the middle of the entire screen, and there was a baby in the theater. I still enjoyed watching it, but I think I need to see it again to rank, but I did enjoy it a lot.

Last edited:
I'd say it goes:

1. TDK
2. Spiderman 2
3. X2
4. Iron Man 2

As far as entertainment goes, I'd probably switch X2 and IM2

Everyone's talking about their personal favorites, but what's more interesting to me is the general, cultural reception. TDK, SM2, X2 received (to all intents and purposes) unanimous praise from critics and the fans pretty much responded in kind. IM2 simply has not had that and, furthermore, is seen as a drop down from its predecessor unlike the aformentioned sequels.

SO the question is, will it's reputation become better as the years go on or will it remain as it is?

Last edited:
I have the same feelings with The Joker in TDK.

I just got out of the theater, and I have to say, I like IM2 a lot. I think I have to go see it again, as there was a rip on the screen, and it was almost in the middle of the entire screen, and there was a baby in the theater. I still enjoyed watching it, but I think I need to see it again to rank, but I did enjoy it a lot.

I can understand the sentiment, but I still think that TDK got much more of the core elements of it's characters right, something I found lacking in SM2. I personally enjoyed IM and IM2 both much more then SM2.

why did I know that letting people know of my list would raise questions? :o

:hehe:

Everyone's talking about their personal favorites, but what's more interesting to me is the general, cultural reception. TDK, SM2, X2 received (to all intents and purposes) unanimous praise from critics and the fans pretty much responded in kind. IM2 simply has not had that and, furthermore, is seen as a drop down from its predecessor unlike the aformentioned sequels.

SO the question is, will it's reputation become better as the years go on or will it remain as it is?

Honestly, it's all gonna depend on how The Avengers is. Even though I liked it, The Avengers is the film that's gonna help Iron Man 2 make more sense to the GA and critics. If the Avengers is successful, then its only gonna make the films preceding look much better.

EDIT: I do believe that Iron Man 2 had gotten lower scores from critics than it should have. Though there were problems with tone and pacing, it wasn't bad enough to give warrant negative reviews. The GA liked it from the user scores of Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes, overall I think its gonna stay a popular film in people's minds despite the critics.

Last edited:
I can understand the sentiment, but I still think that TDK got much more of the core elements of it's characters right, something I found lacking in SM2. I personally enjoyed IM and IM2 both much more then SM2.
All I have to say, is the Iron Man movies are such a blast to watch. I'm not the biggest Iron Man fan(comic books), so I can't really say if they got every character right, but damn are they such a fun movie to watch. I never get tired watching them. I'm already planning on seeing IM2 at least 2-3 more times, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen the first IM. They have EVERYTHING that I like(ie. comedy, action, sexy women, good actors, story, etc). I really hope they do just one more to make a good trilogy, and I'm not talking The Avengers here, I'm talking another stand-alone IM film. I love 'em!:awesome:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"