Days of Future Past Where does the franchise go after this?

Jordacar

The Endless One
Reaction score
I'm sure we'll have a clearer picture once DOFP comes out, but let's face it: sooner or later, the X-Men movies are going to have to let go of the past and embrace the full-on reboot.

They aren't gonna embrace the full-on reboot if Days of Future Past turned out to be a successful movie. They would keep continuing with what they have and just keep moving forward with doing new X-Men movies.

If they wanted to reboot this movie series, they would have done that a long time ago instead of making another Wolverine movie starring Hugh Jackman, making a First Class movie that is related to (at least) the first 2 X-Men movies and bringing back actors from the original trilogy to appear in DOFP.

I mean, technically, depending on how the events in DOFP pan out, they could literally have a justifiable way to "prevent" the events from X-Men The Last Stand from ever happening - thereby creating two structured universes, the 60's/70's, and the 00's/10's.

I don't think I've ever seen a film series (outside of maybe the horror genre) that's danced around the reboot issue quite like X-Men has.

Days of Future Past could quite frankly reboot the X-Men Franchise. They could continue with X-Men: First Class 2 and have new characters and firmiliar characters join the group and not worry if this would contradict the original trilogy, as they would be writing a new history.

Similarly u could have another X-Men film, that would sort of act as a rebooted X4, with new actors playing the characters and the world that they would be shown in would be a totally different incarnation to the OT. Essentially it would be a rebooted X-Men film, but it would still have ties to FC, as well as DOFP. so the OT would still exist in a seperate timeline... Just like what JJ Abrams did with Star Trek.

I'm also hoping for X-Force, Gambit and the Marauders and Cable film (ft Bishop and Deadpool)

Fox wont be as stupid to get rid of Jackman, Berry and Paquin with a a possible X4 in the works.

with Marvel doing Avengers 2, and Avengers 3 next, Fox has ALL the ingredients to do something as epic as those.

If they dont do it, they would have wasted such a huge opportunity

the FC series can still work during next years, since the age issue would be a positive thing, but we about X4, its not the same case, and this feels the perfect moment to do it, after DOFP.

the hype around the returning actors is there, so lets hope Fox doesnt play the stupid card again.

They could have another set of single movies, an X4, a FC2 and lead into another time travel crossover. In fact, DOFP could introduce the idea that the future isn't changed, or that there's a darker further future that exists. Introduce Cable and Apocalypse...

Well I'm seeing this as X-Men: First Class 2 and X-Men 4.
If critics praise the Original X-Men more than the FC X-Men, then maybe we'll get a proper X4, if the other way around, X:FC2/3.
It go either way really.

I don't think see this as X4 and FC2 because thats like saying The Avengers movie was Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Captain America 2 and Hulk 2. For me, DOFP is a cross-over movie. And I think after this movie is released, its either we are going to get X-Men 4 or another film with First Class cast.

Then for Wolverine 3, it would depend on the success of the 2013 Wolverine movie.

It will be interesting to see where things go from here. Are FOX really likely to persue two X-Men series' in different time periods? There's enough characters and material to do so but I doubt a studio would embark on something so convoluted.

I'd say there's more interesting characters in the original set-up, but probably longer legs with the new cast. I couldn't tell you which timeline I'd choose if it came down to it.

It seems the more easy approach would be to keep the FC third part for a future year, and focus on the original cast at least on one final sequel or two, in case the studio wants to play big.

The FC cast can age a bit, so once they shot the third part the writer and director can jump to the 70s and the actors look would be more realistic, without the need of makeup to ALL the cast, lol. The more they wait for this third part, the biggest Jennifer and Michael Fassbender will be, so the hype would be pretty nice too.

Its a similar scenario to a possible X4. Since its been so many years, the hype to have them on screen again is cool, so they can play this card with both casts perfectly.

It will be interesting to see where things go from here. Are FOX really likely to persue two X-Men series' in different time periods? There's enough characters and material to do so but I doubt a studio would embark on something so convoluted.

I doubt that too. I'm afraid the casual viewers would get tired if they do two X-Men series at the same time and they are both set in different time periods. So I hope they would continue with just doing 1 series. Its easier to follow.

My #1 problem with doing more First Class movies is FOX doing another X-Men movie set in the past. I feel like they aren't moving forward to the future and they keep explaining/showing the things that already happened in the past (pre-X1).

Another reason why I want X-Men to go back to the original series is, I feel like when the time comes that this movie series has come to an end (before FOX totally reboot the movie series), they should end it with the original X-Men series with Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, etc and not with the cast of First Class cast.

They can go anywhere they want after DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, but odds are it will involve Sinister and Apocalypse in some fashion. They're going to need to be able to compete with the likes of Thanos and Darkseid soon enough. :)

Apocalypse makes perfect sense at this point. Its time for a major threat.

I could see them doing a final two part apocalypse movie with the original cast. (As apocalypse wouldn't work with the First Class Era or characters). It would be their phase 2 films, followed by a first class sequel and then another wolverine move, an X4 sequel or a completely different xmen property e.g deadpool, X-Force etc.

I kinda think they might use this movie (with both cast) as a test market to see which cast the audience reacts/connects to better, to figure out which direction to go with from here, rather they think people would rather see them continue with the first class cast, or go back to the original cast

They can go anywhere they want after DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, but odds are it will involve Sinister and Apocalypse in some fashion. They're going to need to be able to compete with the likes of Thanos and Darkseid soon enough. :)

Yes, definitely. And the casual viewers need to see villains that they haven't seen before in a X-Men movies. For the first four X-Men movies, the only major villains that we got were Magneto and Stryker. Mr. Sinister would work well with the First Class cast especially if they introduced the young version of Scott and Jean and he would be like Sebastian Shaw. Then Apocalypse would be very fitting as the major antagonist for the next trilogy of the original series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"