Where is noahs ark?

Reader said:
Those ****ing tardises. I can never believe how much leg room there is in that baby. I can see how that would be possible with a Tardis. Suddenly, Biblical stories have a greater credibility with me.

I wonder if when Jesus died he regenerated into a younger version of himself with bushier eyebrows?

Jeebus is a time lord ! :eek:

Lord Siva said:
Jeebus is a time lord ! :eek:

Exactly. That's why he hasn't come back. He's in the future fighting those little robots with the ***** on their tops. Daliks? (I'm really not 'up' on my Who).

Reader said:
Exactly. That's why he hasn't come back. He's in the future fighting those little robots with the ***** on their tops. Daliks? (I'm really not 'up' on my Who).

Darleks.

Addendum said:
I clicked on both links. The satellite pictures could be rocks and shadows. Which is essentially the same as the other pictures some claim are "definitive proof" of an ark.

abc_gma_thenoah_060315_sp.jpg

Picture from the ABC link.

story.mt.ararat.jpg

Picture from the CNN link

I belive the Ark is somewhere on Mount Ararat.On the snow covered side,where it is very easy to be hidden and not seen.If the Ark was ever found,it would prove once and for all that there is a god.

Jourmugand said:
I belive the Ark is somewhere on Mount Ararat.On the snow covered side,where it is very easy to be hidden and not seen.If the Ark was ever found,it would prove once and for all that there is a god.

Either that or it's a hoax made by the religious right.

Lord Siva said:
There is no basis of fact to it, it was a story told by a bunch of ignorent nomads to brainwash there kids.

How do you know there's no basis in fact to it? bad place, the fact that there was a huge flood in that area of the world and several cultures have similar stories suggests that there is a basis in fact.

Jourmugand said:

No it wouldn't. All it would prove is that some guy built a huge boat, housed animals in it during a flood, and landed it on a mountain as the flood waters receded.

Big flood: Maybe
Giant global flood with old man saving all the animals in a boat: No

And did I say that it happened exactly how it happened in the bible? No. Never once did I say that. I said that it seemed likely that there was a huge flood and some guy survived it by using a big boat and housed a bunch of animals in it, and the story got blown out of preportion over time as stories tend to do. I don't see why some people think that if a story didn't happen exactly as it was described in the bible, it didn't happen at all. A very common trend amung folklore is that true stories get imbelished and blown out or preportion over the years that it's told.

Jourmugand said:
Fine, you believe in the big boat.

I need something called "conclusive evidence" before I believe it. What we have so far, falls short of it.

The Question said:
And did I say that it happened exactly how it happened in the bible? No. Never once did I say that. I said that it seemed likely that there was a huge flood and some guy survived it by using a big boat and housed a bunch of animals in it, and the story got blown out of preportion over time as stories tend to do. Jeez, I don't see why some people think that if a story didn't happen exactly as it was described in the bible, it didn't happen at all.

Because nutters think the Bible is the complete word of god. While in fact the Catholic church cut books from the Bible they didn't like for god's sake.

So? That doesn't mean that Noah's arc has no basis in reality. It just means that it probably didn't happen exactly as it was described in the Bible.

Then, why is the bible considered the "word of god" and "infallible" if events described in the bible don't happen the way it says?

Either it all happened or it didn't.

And let's not forget about the story of Adam and Eve. An evil talking snake (with legs) told Eve to eat a piece of fruit so that he could get them kicked out of the Eden. According to many Christians even the predators ate fruits and vegetables before "the fall of man". :rolleyes: Let's also remember that somehow Cain being the only other person left on the planet somehow found a wife and populate the entire planet.

Addendum said:
Then, why is the bible considered the "word of god" and "infallible" if events described in the bible don't happen the way it says?

Either it all happened or it didn't.

That's completely warped logic. More likely than not, the stories in the bible are either metaphors, or accounts of actual events that were simply imbelished and blown out of preportion as stories tend to be over the years. Just because a few "not all, but a few" Christians say that the Bible is the direct word of god doesn't mean that either it's entirely true or it's all lies. That doesn't make any sense.

Addendum said:
And let's not forget about the story of Adam and Eve. An evil talking snake (with legs) told Eve to eat a piece of fruit so that he could get them kicked out of the Eden. According to many Christians even the predators ate fruits and vegetables before "the fall of man". :rolleyes: Let's also remember that somehow Cain being the only other person left on the planet somehow found a wife and populate the entire planet.

And? I highly doubt any of that story was anything besides a metaphore for the loss of innocence.

Addendum didn't write the post about Adam I did.

Religion is based, I think, primarily and mainly upon fear. It is partly the terror of the unknown and partly, as I have said, the wish to feel that you have a kind of elder brother who will stand by you in all your troubles and disputes. ... A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage; it does not need a regretful hankering after the past or a fettering of the free intelligence by the words uttered long ago by ignorant men. - Bertrand
Russell

No, it's not warped logic.

People have told me that everything in the bible is true. If one thing in the bible is false, then the entire thing is false.

I'm using the exact same line of thinking told to me by christians.

But then it doesn't matter much to me, since I have no reason to believe in the god-claim it presents

My parents (mostly my mother) force fed me the Bible from when I was old enough to understand what she was saying. I know what the Bible says, and from about the age of ten I began to understand how moronic it was.

Lord Siva said:
Addendum didn't write the post about Adam I did.

Sorry. Screwed up there.

Religion is based, I think, primarily and mainly upon fear. It is partly the terror of the unknown and partly, as I have said, the wish to feel that you have a kind of elder brother who will stand by you in all your troubles and disputes. ... A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage; it does not need a regretful hankering after the past or a fettering of the free intelligence by the words uttered long ago by ignorant men. - Bertrand
Russell[/quote]

I suppose you have a point. To a degree.

Addendum said:
No, it's not warped logic.

Yes, it is.

Addendum said:
People have told me that everything in the bible is true. If one thing in the bible is false, then the entire thing is false.

No, it's not. If one thing is false, another part could still be true.

Addendum said:
I'm using the exact same line of thinking told to me by christians.

First of all, not all Christians think that way. Don't lump them all together. Second, that line of thinking is a very warped sense of logic. Just because aspects of the Bible is false doesn't mean some aspects don't have some basis in fact.

Then tell that to the people who told it to me. I'm just reiterating what THEY TOLD ME.

To me, the bible is just another book that some people place some value in. I take some things from it and apply it to my life, as I do with any other book. I leave the god-claim stuff behind

I can believe there may have been an actual event upon which Noah's Ark & the Great Flood is based on. We could probably even find 'the real' Ark, but it wouldn't really prove anything.

But let me put it this way: if I can barely believe the spin of the newspapers today, if I know that history is rewritten over and over again until every mediorce leader is polished to shine and every major event is filed away to a footnote, if the winners tell things from their point of view - then I am not going to believe anything that is chronicled as taking place thousands of years ago.

The Bible is one of the first, great collections of stories that I would akin to something like "the Odyssey". It probably happened in some form, but if someone can claim Bush won a landslide victory days after he had 50-some % victory, imagine how much embelishment can take place over thousands of years. Anyway, what a great collection of stories the Bible is...I wouldn't go so far as to worship them or anything. But that's just me.

Lord Siva said:
Because nutters think the Bible is the complete word of god. While in fact the Catholic church cut books from the Bible they didn't like for god's sake.

Where did you get this info?

Addendum said:
Then tell that to the people who told it to me. I'm just reiterating what THEY TOLD ME.

Fine. I wasn't talking about what they told you. I was talking about how it wouldn't be unreasonable and it would in fact be quite likely that Noah's ark had some basis in fact, no matter how large or small that may be.

Addendum said:
To me, the bible is just another book that some people place some value in. I take some things from it and apply it to my life, as I do with any other book. I leave the god-claim stuff behind

Fine.

Lord Siva, what exactly is your world view? obviously not a christian...are you an atheist, agnostic, an adherent to a different religion? im curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"