Which Cast is Better?

As others have said Gruffud is a solid actor and with a better script/direction he would of made a decent Reed.

Alba looked like the Wayne's brothers in the movie white chicks in the FF2.

They're both fine. The cast wasn't the problem with Tim Story's movie and I don't see a reason to assume that the cast will be a problem for this new one. Everyone in the cast is a perfectly capable actor.

I'm curious what issues people have about Gruffud's performance...

Story's since I had 0 problem with Alba (mainly in part to how fit she was in the suit)

I never had a problem with Story's cast.

Johnny and Ben were played perfectly by Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis and even Gruffudd and McMahon were well suited to play Reed and Victor but the writing and directing let them down. I always thought with a better script, with proper characterization (especially in Doom's case), they both could have worked.

Only Jessica Alba was badly miscast as Sue, unfortunately. Same old story, of taking the current IT girl at the time and casting her in a role, she wasn't right for.

Replace Alba with someone more appropriate for Sue (like Elizabeth Banks for instance) and you would have had a really solid cast to work with.

He should have played Reed the way he played Lancelot here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWu4E7cnJIs

But as I mentioned earlier, the script and director didn't allow him to. They turned him into an emasculated wimp who couldn't stand up to Sue, let alone Doom.

Except that Reed Richards isn't Lancelot...

What do you mean "stand up to Sue"? When would he have needed to stand up to Sue, exactly? I recall him being basically unaware of relationship norms when he was scientifically fascinated with something, IE, overlooking Sue and her feelings for him and her desire for him to step up and make a move, but I don't remember him, at any point, actually being an "emasculated wimp" or failing to stand up for himself. Not in any real sense.

And I recall him standing up to Doom several times. Just because he had to go to Doom for help at the beginning of the film doesn't make him a wimp. It's more about that being a story gymnastic to get Doom into the storyline as a part of the Four's origins, and to reveal their past together, etc, in one fell swoop given the runtime limitations.

Except that Reed Richards isn't Lancelot...

What do you mean "stand up to Sue"? When would he have needed to stand up to Sue, exactly? I recall him being basically unaware of relationship norms when he was scientifically fascinated with something, IE, overlooking Sue and her feelings for him and her desire for him to step up and make a move, but I don't remember him, at any point, actually being an "emasculated wimp" or failing to stand up for himself. Not in any real sense.

And I recall him standing up to Doom several times. Just because he had to go to Doom for help at the beginning of the film doesn't make him a wimp. It's more about that being a story gymnastic to get Doom into the storyline as a part of the Four's origins, and to reveal their past together, etc, in one fell swoop given the runtime limitations.

Based on previous experience, there's no point in responding to you because you either won't read or won't comprehend.

Yesterday you accused me of saying things that weren't even close to anything I've ever said, and when I called you on it, you had no response and no apology.

If you had actually paid attention rather than being blinded by your own agenda, you would have realized I'm one of the few long-time FF fans who haven't completely written this film off yet.

It's clear that you're not open to honest, reasonable discussion and will accuse me of saying things I didn't say, so this will be the last time I'll respond to you.

Last edited:
Based on previous experience, there's no point in responding to you because you either won't read or won't comprehend.

Whatever that means...

Yesterday you accused me of saying things that weren't even close to anything I've ever said, and when I called you on it, you had no response and no apology.

If you had actually paid attention rather than being blinded by your own agenda, you would have realized I'm one of the few long-time FF fans who haven't completely written this film off yet.

It's clear that you're not open to honest, reasonable discussion and will accuse me of saying things I didn't say, so this will be the last time I'll respond to you.

I didn't see you call me out on it because I skimmed half the forum yesterday.

I had to skim back through quite a few posts to verify, but you're right. At least over the last month or so, I have apparently confused statements made by other, die-hard FF fans who made specific comments about the terrible nature of the cast and its specific members, and this being the worst cast, with something you said.

Your comments, specifically recent ones, were more along the lines of an argument being able to made that a cast randomly chosen is better than the one picked, which is slightly different than "they picked the worst cast they could".

So I apologize for my misinterpretation/misremembrance.

Whatever that means...

I didn't see you call me out on it because I skimmed half the forum yesterday.

I had to skim back through quite a few posts to verify, but you're right. At least over the last month or so, I have apparently confused statements made by other, die-hard FF fans who made specific comments about the terrible nature of the cast and its specific members, and this being the worst cast, with something you said.

Your comments, specifically recent ones, were more along the lines of an argument being able to made that a cast randomly chosen is better than the one picked, which is slightly different than "they picked the worst cast they could".

So I apologize for my misinterpretation/misremembrance.

Okay. Thank you. I respect that you're big enough to admit your mistake.:up:

Back on topic...I think both casts are good, depending on your tastes. The Gruffud/Alba cast worked for the more silly, comic-booky take those movies were going for, while this new cast seems to be more taken from indie dramas and Sundance films. It all depends which version of the FF you would rather see.

I see there's no option for the Roger Corman cast...oh how we forget history. :whatever:

Back on topic...I think both casts are good, depending on your tastes. The Gruffud/Alba cast worked for the more silly, comic-booky take those movies were going for, while this new cast seems to be more taken from indie dramas and Sundance films. It all depends which version of the FF you would rather see.
One cast fit well for a Fantastic Four sitcom. The other is perfect for a teen Fantastic Four indie.

Neither of which have any business getting made.

The original cast on paper was perfect - it's just how it was all executed. If the original cast had starred in a Joss Whedon-directed movie, we'd love them

Naw man, I still hold that Spike Jonez would be the perfect Fantastic Four director.

I thought if they are gonna remake this, that at least they would do it with a proper cast that at least resembles the comic book characters, but my god when I heard about the actors they chose to play these guys I already started to miss Alba & Co. (heck that cast wasn't even bad, the movie itself sucked! The cast was one of the very FEW decent, even good things I'd say)! :dry:

Tim Story's. I don't know any in the other casting.

If we were talking purely about quality of the actors, I would definitely say the new one is better, since the Story cast was mostly a bunch of TV actors (Chris Evans wasn't Captain America back then) while everyone in Trank's cast has at least one challenging film role under their belt.

In terms of resemblance to the comics...offhand I would say Story's cast, but I'd have to see the current cast in action before I make a final judgement on that.

While I can't give a full opinion on Trank's cast before the movie is finished and released, my preliminary opinion is Story's cast over Trank's.

I don't like Alba as Sue Storm, but Chiklis and Evans were great, while Gruffudd was solid. Julian McMahon wasn't imposing as Dr. Doom, but it could've been much worse.

I really don't like the casting done for Trank's. In fact, the casting I support most of the choices is Jordan as Johnny Storm. I don't think it's perfect, but it seems a lot better than Jamie Bell and Miles Teller in the film.

Jamie Bell is going to surprise you folks. the guy's been acting since he was a little kid and done well at it. he's serious about his craft.; unlike some of young Hollywood. I was quite excited when he was rumored to be costume-testing for the Ant-Man movie. but I will take him being part of Fantastic Four as a consolation prize. seems like he's being judged for his size; which means next to nothing when CGI is in use. makes about as much since as saying Edward Norton isn't muscular enough to play the Hulk.

and, since I can already hear it coming, Ben being a football player was far from essential to his backstory. I can't think of any Fantastic Four storylines where it played an integral role. the focus has always been on his past w/ the Yancy Street bullies, his brotherly friendship with Reed, his unrequited interest in Sue, and his despair over being trapped in a monstrous form. none of that disqualifies Jamie Bell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNNjVBjZ0Gg

Last edited:
It won't matter how great of an actor he is, if the material he is given is sub-par, or nothing like the F4 which this seems to be turning out to be.....the greatest actor in the world couldn't pull it off.

It won't matter how great of an actor he is, if the material he is given is sub-par, or nothing like the F4 which this seems to be turning out to be.....the greatest actor in the world couldn't pull it off.

exactly. just like the last Fantastic Four film. but we're not talking about that one. Trank is behind this one. and he hasn't given me any reason to attach a label like "subpar" to this. talent has been recruited. some people just don't like the look of the talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"