Iron Man 3 Which comic book hero will reign supreme next year?

I adored the design to Asgard. It was a gorgeous creation.

thor-asgard.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing what Alan can add to that mystic world. I'm hoping to also witness a more fantasy but natural based appearance to these other realms. The budget is bigger this time around, after all. Iceland has awe-spiring landscapes, so we'll see whether or not Taylor can take advantage.

I agree the design of the city of Asgard itself was amazing, now I just want them to show more of the city like streets, homes, insides of buildings etc.

Alan is picking wonderful locations and talking about making things feel more natural, so it seems to be heading in a great direction.

Like I said, it'll come down to who has the bigger and badder action scenes and visuals. That, I believe, is where Snyder will truly shine.

Agreed. MoS seems like it has the most potential to be the most epic so far. I'll have to wait until seeing more footage to see if my opinion changes.

Having great action scenes and being "epic" is not the same thing, when I hear the word epic I associate it with scope.

When the movie calls for it, action can be associated with epic as well. Ground trembling, building smashing battles? Epic.

I think "epic" is a fitting description for MoS.

Most of you seem to think Superman Returns has left such a horrible taste in peoples mouth that it will scare them away, but I think it will have the opposite effect and people will be chomping at the bit to see the character done right it will draw them in.

I disagree, Supes is generally seen as outdated and lame, I don't think many are all that interested in a new film. MoS has the task of re-establishing him & turning around the GA perception of him. I mean, never say never and all that, it could be a big hit but more than likely if it's really good then somewhere in the $500m range.

Plus the movie going public can be somewhat forgiving even after a previous poor offering. People by and large hated '03 Hulk but they still came to Incredible Hulk, people disliked MIB2 but they still came to MIB3, people despised X-men Last Stand but came to First Class, people disliked Spider-Man 3 but still came to Amazing Spider-Man, and I think people who were less than thrilled with Superman Returns will still come to MOS.

TIH only made about $20 million more than Hulk'03.

I could give you MIB3. It went from $441m in MIB2 to $624 in MIB3, but it did have 3d, 10 years of inflation/expansion & made $11m less in the US.

X3 made $459m, XOW made $373m, XFC made $353m. That's a $100m drop.

Spidey3 made $890m, TASM made $752 with 3d.

Not so forgiving in general.

That said, MoS could be the top CBM of 2013 (quality-wise).
The Nolans also contributed to the script so I'm not worried about Snyder's and Goyer's direction with this.

The only name I've officially heard as being involved with the MoS script (other than Goyer) is Kurt Johnstad and that was to polish the 3rd act. C Nolan has a story credit and that's it. Goyer recently claimed full credit for the script, so J Nolan can't have been involved heavily (though I really hope he was).. and that worries me greatly because Goyer is a sucky screenwriter.

On the other hand Marvel have the likes of Black & Rodat writing IM3 & Thor:TDW, Whedon on hand if needed & just a better track record. For my money those two have more potential for quality. (Indeed, I think Phase 2 as a whole will be much better than the first simply for being so much more together and unified under a clearer vision/direction right from the get go.)

If MoS can't outgross Thor then DC is truly lost.

I disagree. Thor is in a better position than Supes is right now. If MoS is well recieved and makes 2.5 times it's budget (like Begins did, & as is the general rule for BO success), which would be about $437m WW, then WB should be happy regardless of what Thor makes. That would be a solid base to build on.

Apparently they're shooting one of the locations for Asgard in Iceland, so right off the bat you know it won't look as fantastical as Thor.

That's like saying you can't make Lord of the Rings fantastical & epic by shooting locations in New Zealand.

a fitting place for a poll of this nature

When the movie calls for it, action can be associated with epic as well. Ground trembling, building smashing battles? Epic.

Yeah I guess but I stick by Thor 2 being more epic in "scale", since it's going to be Marvel's biggest film next to TA.

Yeah I guess but I stick by Thor 2 being more epic in "scale", since it's going to be Marvel's biggest film next to TA.

I'll have to wait and see how they handle it. Things like the war on Krypton have me super excited to see how they handle the scope. I think Thor 2 has a strong chance of being more epic in scale, I just need some proof to avoid being let down again.

The thing that Thor TDW, has going for it, is Chris Hemsworth is a major heartthrob and quickly becoming a huge mega star. The female audience is going to flock to Thor 2, and I don't think that will be true for MoS.

Henry Cavill is more well known than Hemsworth was when he did Thor, but Hemsworth career has just rocketed way past Cavill's. Prior to Thor, Hemsworth was only known to American audiences from a short bit playing Captain Kirk's dad. But today Hemsworth is immensly more notable than Cavill.

That's not meant to be a knockdown on Cavill, but every once in a while you get a starr that just blazes out of the gate, and that's Hemsworth.

I'll have to wait and see how they handle it. Things like the war on Krypton have me super excited to see how they handle the scope. I think Thor 2 has a strong chance of being more epic in scale, I just need some proof to avoid being let down again.

Marvel never said the first Thor was going to be "epic" in scale, they also were being very cautious with the budget in Phase One. They outright said this film is going to be near TA level in scale and TA made 1.5 billion dollars, so MS is not in the same financial boat they were in with THOR.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Marvel never said the first Thor was going to be "epic" in scale, they also were being very cautious with the budge in all phase one movies.

They outright said this film is going to be near Avengers level in scale and TA made 1.5 billion dollars so Marvel is not in the same financial boat they were in with THOR.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Because when I see a Thor movie, I'm going to expect epic scale because that's the world of the character. Nothing hard to understand, but I'm going to wait and see before I'm disappointed. I feel more safer for MoS for the time being for some reason. Doesn't mean I'm any less excited for TDW than I was before, but I'm just cautious. Even The Avengers wasn't as big as I wanted it to be, so we'll see.

Jesse-eisenberg-Shrug-Social-Network.gif

Because when I see a Thor movie, I'm going to expect epic scale because that's the world of the character. Nothing hard to understand, but I'm going to wait and see before I'm disappointed. I feel more safer for MoS for the time being for some reason. Doesn't mean I'm any less excited for TDW than I was before, but I'm just cautious. Even The Avengers wasn't as big as I wanted it to be, so we'll see.

Jesse-eisenberg-Shrug-Social-Network.gif

You have to factor in the director of the film and the relatively small budget, you can't just say "I want a huge Thor film" and other all of those things. Who in their right mind really expected a huge epic film from Kenneth Branagh with a 150 million dollar budget?

Not me, I wanted a huge film just like you but I know how to not set myself up for obvious disappointment.

You have to factor in the director of the film and the relatively small budget, you can't just say "I want a huge Thor film" and other all of those things. Who in their right mind really expected a huge epic film from Kenneth Branagh with a 150 million dollar budget?

Not me, I wanted a huge film just like you but I know how to not set myself up for obvious disappointment.

That's the problem. I expect an epic film because of the character that the movie's about. I expected a huge and epic film, and when I didn't get that, I was let down. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Thor, just that it wasn't as big as I had hoped, even for a first movie. Now from what I've seen from TDW, it all seems great and the scale definitely seems larger. However, like I said, only time will tell. I'm not going to be someone who goes in with blind faith based on a few statements, I need to see actual footage. That's just how I am.
tumblr_leryjc39th1qf0vffo1_400.gif

Last edited:
That's the problem. I expect an epic film because of the character that the movie's about. I expected a huge and epic film, and when I didn't get that, I was let down. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Thor, just that it wasn't as big as I had hoped, even for a first movie. Now from what I've seen from TDW, it all seems great and the scale definitely seems larger. However, like I said, only time will tell. I'm not going to be someone who goes in with blind faith based on a few statements, I need to see actual footage. That's just how I am.
tumblr_leryjc39th1qf0vffo1_400.gif

Yeah, agreed.
The problem with Thor 1 was that the Asgard scenes promised the kind of epic Norse saga you'd expect of this character, but instead the bulk of the movie was about an ordinary guy trying to find a hammer in a small desert burg.

(cue gif of someone shrugging here :oldrazz:)

Exactly. And seriously, that SHIELD fight was lame as hell. I can't even sit through it anymore. TDW better not have that depowered crap going on. I honestly don't think it will, though.

The S.H.I.E.L.D fight was pretty lame, I never like it all that much really.

not gunna lie guys, I am going into TDW with huge expectations lol

The only name I've officially heard as being involved with the MoS script (other than Goyer) is Kurt Johnstad and that was to polish the 3rd act. C Nolan has a story credit and that's it. Goyer recently claimed full credit for the script, so J Nolan can't have been involved heavily (though I really hope he was).. and that worries me greatly because Goyer is a sucky screenwriter.

Gill has confirmed that The Nolans had direct influence on the script. Goyer might have gotten full credit but Chris and Jonah touched the screenplay. How much? That is unknown at the moment.

It wouldn't be the first time. Goyer wrote the Begins and Knight scripts, but Chris made alterations to both. The final drafts weren't 100% Goyer's, yet Nolan suggested that David was the workhorse and deserved most of the credit.

The thing that Thor TDW, has going for it, is Chris Hemsworth is a major heartthrob and quickly becoming a huge mega star. The female audience is going to flock to Thor 2, and I don't think that will be true for MoS.

Henry Cavill is more well known than Hemsworth was when he did Thor, but Hemsworth career has just rocketed way past Cavill's. Prior to Thor, Hemsworth was only known to American audiences from a short bit playing Captain Kirk's dad. But today Hemsworth is immensly more notable than Cavill.

That's not meant to be a knockdown on Cavill, but every once in a while you get a starr that just blazes out of the gate, and that's Hemsworth.

Cavill is an unknown actor to the general audience. He's not well-known at all. Henry is precisely where Bale was prior to donning the cowl and cape. It wasn't until Batman Begins that Christian's career took off. Now, he's one of the most sought-out names in Hollywood. Cavill's career could skyrocket in popular after Man of Steel too. As for the heartthrob factor, Hemsworth will have major competition next year as soon as the marketing kicks in. He'll be facing Cavill (who already has a legion of female fans from his Tudor days). Henry is considered to be a 'hunk' so the female demographic won't be neglected either.

Cavill is an unknown actor to the general audience. He's not well-known at all. Henry is precisely where Bale was prior to donning the cowl and cape. It wasn't until Batman Begins that Christian's career took off. Now, he's one of the most sought-out names in Hollywood. Cavill's career could skyrocket in popular after Man of Steel too. As for the heartthrob factor, Hemsworth will have major competition next year as soon as the marketing kicks in. He'll be facing Cavill (who already has a legion of female fans from his Tudor days). Henry is considered to be a 'hunk' so the female demographic won't be neglected either.

He's not saying that Cavill's career WON'T skyrocket, just that Chris Hemsworth's already has. So that's an advantage.

He's not saying that Cavill's career WON'T skyrocket, just that Chris Hemsworth's already has. So that's an advantage.

Well, in comparing Cavill and Hemsworth, both careers have flowed differently. Cavill was unable to land Edward Cullen (too old) and James Bond (too young), but found moderate success, yet remained unknown. Hemsworth, on the other hand, received the role of Thor relatively early in his career. So his popularity rose quite quickly. That's the major divergence between both careers at the moment.

Lmao, losing out to Edward Cullen and James Bond then getting Superman. I'd say that's a definite win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"