Iron Man 3 Which comic book hero will reign supreme next year?

Begins and Thor were moderate successes at best.. Ironman/Spiderman were different stories and the effect was instantaneous on those stars.

Depending on what sort of splash mos makes expect the results to be proportional.

Lmao, losing out to Edward Cullen and James Bond then getting Superman. I'd say that's a definite win.

What's funny is that Cavill also lost Superman to Routh when the Abrams film was scrapped. Now, here we are. It was for the best. Cavill has a shot at being attached to the iconic character for years.

Let's just hope that he does Supes justice, which it appears he will.

Is this necessary? Do we really need to start another Marvel vs. DC fanboy bash? Which comic book hero "reigned supreme" this year? Hell forget that, which Avengers hero reigned in the film, seeing as though everyone had their own moment to shine?

Personally, I'm really looking forward to this even though I'm not a big Iron Man fan, I'm doing so because this movie has almost everything I'm looking for: a compelling, personal odyssey that takes the hero to his limits, Shane Black directing (loved him in KKBB), a STELLAR cast, a superhero movie, and finally to put everything into perspective, Rubber Ducky Junior in the lead :D Of all the films, IM3 has those Hollywood-centric aspects that just makes for good film. I'm looking forward to it because of its cinematic promises.

But I'm also a big myth-buff and Norse mythology has been one of my favourite areas since forever, can't wait for The Hobbit, but also the same goes for Thor Dark Worlds; they're finally going up to explore all those different realms and being such a big fan of the first I can't wait to see where they take the Norse god next. The first one was such a surprise hit -- it had elegance, the subtlety of Shakespeare, and Branaghs' excellent direction that made each of the characters endearing from the first time they appeared on-screen. So I'm a big supporter for Thor 2 because of those literary/mythical aspects.

But I'm also the biggest comic-book / superhero addict I've ever personally ever known, and the Man of Steel, with Zack Snyder's direction, a look into SUPERMAN for god's sakes! Nothing beats that hype. The movie has the potential to be the best superhero film ever made, and you can't blame me for looking forward to that... and hoping that the first superhero in the world remains the best supherhero of that year.

I don't think Superman Returns will dent MOS chances at the box office as much as some of you are suggesting. If WB do their job and market the film properly then I think it will do well. But yes, IM3 will beat all of them at the box office.

Quality wise, it's anyone game really at this stage.

I don't think Superman Returns will dent MOS chances at the box office as much as some of you are suggesting.

That's the way I feel, people aren't sitting around saying to themselves "well I want to see a movie tonight, how about Superman?.....no maybe not, that movie six years ago really sucked".

And lets not forget that Superman Returns was essentially not a reboot, but a continuation of the previous series. This isn't. And with an ensemble featuring Kevin Costner and Russel Crowe those are big draws.

There's a reason why these characters became superheroes who are fighting to save the world... it's because when their world got destroyed, there was no one there to stop it.

Superman embodies that notion. It's an essential part of heroism; to not let the same catastrophes and tragedies repeat themselves. I wonder how Thor or Iron Man will measure up to that.

I don't think it will have an effect. SR was so banal that most people couldn't even be bothered to hate it. Love Singer but that film was a complete miss.

There's a reason why these characters became superheroes who are fighting to save the world... it's because when their world got destroyed, there was no one there to stop it.

Superman embodies that notion. It's an essential part of heroism; to not let the same catastrophes and tragedies repeat themselves. I wonder how Thor or Iron Man will measure up to that.

Pretty well.

Yep Asgard's been destroyed quite a few times in the comics so that definately isn't anything new to Thor.

With that being said let's please not turn this into a "this guy is better than this guy" thread.

Yep Asgard's been destroyed quite a few times in the comics so that definately isn't anything new to Thor.

With that being said let's please not turn this into a "this guy is better than this guy" thread.

Heh. You're right there. Sorry if I sounded a bit biased back there -- I'm a big fan of all three of them.

I think one of the better dramas in Thor has always been with Loki and his role as this precarious ally. This time around the focus seems to be on an all-out invasion, the war that Thor has always been hyped up to excel in but never shown in the past -- the invasion in Avengers doesn't count because I'm talking LOTR or 300-level of warfare, hundreds vs hundreds, that sort of scale.

But yes, the other good plot-element is the threat of Ragnarok, I'm sure we won't get to that (and the very Zen approach in the comics) until movie #3.

I may be alone on this but Superman Returns was trying to do something different with the genre, they were trying to put the human drama front and center and I don't really blame it for doing that. What it lacked was proper execution. Imagine the same movie with a script like Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? , same themes, but only executed poorly. I don't blame the movie for what it tried to be, but Superman is perhaps the most recognizable figure in pop-culture, that sort of prestige and history withstands one "meh" movie. Man of Steel really has a lot behind it.

I think IM3 wins for sure but ZACK SNYDER's superman has me intrigued, it could be really awesome. Don't forget he's responsible for Dawn of the Dead, 300, and Watchmen. And let's face it as much as I love Wolverine he stands no chance.

while I'd like to think the king daddy of them all would be, i think both thor 2 and iron man 3 are going to be to epic for mos to do better then those 2. I'd like to be wrong though just so it would give wb some courage.

Superman Returns was not very successful but it was not that bad either.

When comparing the Rotten Tomatoes Average Rating with other Marvel Studios movies (except first Iron Man) -

SR has higher rating than most of the Marvel Studios movies.

The Incredible Hulk Average Rating 6.2/10

Iron Man 2 Average Rating 6.5 /10

Thor Average Rating 6.7 /10

Captain America: The First Avenger Average Rating 7/10

Superman Returns Average Rating 7.1 /10

It also made more money at Box Office than The Incredible Hulk, Captain America, X-Men: First Class.

Granted everybody wanted it to be much more successful but considering the fact that Singer did not have Superman throw even One punch in the movie and that it had controversial story, it did okay.

So, Man Of Steel does not suffer in any way due to performance of SR. (IMO.)

I expect Iron Man 3 to be the most successful movie of 2013, followed by Thor 2, then Wolverine and Man Of Steel to be last one.(but still more successful than SR.)

Last edited:
Heh. You're right there. Sorry if I sounded a bit biased back there -- I'm a big fan of all three of them.

I think one of the better dramas in Thor has always been with Loki and his role as this precarious ally. This time around the focus seems to be on an all-out invasion, the war that Thor has always been hyped up to excel in but never shown in the past -- the invasion in Avengers doesn't count because I'm talking LOTR or 300-level of warfare, hundreds vs hundreds, that sort of scale.

But yes, the other good plot-element is the threat of Ragnarok, I'm sure we won't get to that (and the very Zen approach in the comics) until movie #3.

Yeah I see what you mean, Thor fought far more Frost Giants in his film than he did in The Avengers.

That was mainly due to him shaing the screen time with several other heroes though, so I can't wait to see him back in the spotlight in his own film.

Yeah, the "failure" of SR is not going to impact interest in MoS one bit. Saying that is like saying nobody wanted to see Batman Begins because Batman and Robin was so ****ty.

Superman is quite simply the biggest, most recognizable, and most iconic superhero of all time....the character has a built-in audience, same as Batman.

Yeah, the "failure" of SR is not going to impact interest in MoS one bit. Saying that is like saying nobody wanted to see Batman Begins because Batman and Robin was so ****ty.

Superman is quite simply the biggest, most recognizable, and most iconic superhero of all time....the character has a built-in audience, same as Batman.

Very true, I agree that MOS has nothing major to worry about if it's a good film that's marketed well. However, recognition and popularity are two different things and honestly Supes' recognition far exceeds his actual popularity.

He does still have a built in fan base, but it's not of the same caliber as Batman or Spider-Man's fan bases.

"Supes' recognition far exceeds his actual popularity."

I agree with you there. Just because some bodybuilder in Venice Beach has an S-Shield on his arm, or your grandpa/dad had a Superman lunchbox when they were kids, or people are holding up Superman signs at an Orlando Magic game, it doesn't mean they are counting the days until MoS opens. That being said, the Nolan factor will play a big role in attracting a GA to MoS. I think it will be big. 800M + wouldn't shock me in the least.

Yep MOS isn't going to succeed on Supes' iconic status alone, it's going to need to be a good film with decent marketing. Oh and I'm one of the people who think MOS is going to be great and do well at the B.O. so that's not a shot in the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"