Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Discussion in 'Thor: The Dark World' started by psylockolussus, Oct 31, 2013.

?

Which film is better

1. Thor (2011)

2. Thor: The Dark World (2013)

3. Tie

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. the gael

the gael Well-Known Member

I liked Thor, but Thor TDW Is better. It's a really fun movie

2. ferpuerto17

ferpuerto17 Well-Known Member

Thor 2 had more action and kept me on my seat even though I really had to go... I say Thor 2

3. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

I have no doubt Thor 2 is going to win this poll. But I think in a years time people will feel differently, as I think Thor 1 has more re-watchability than the sequel.

4. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

I do think some people are voting for Thor 2 because the action/the visual effects are so much better compare to Thor 1. But in my opinion, people should judge on which film is better based on the story.

5. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

Thor is a superior first and foremost, action and visuals plays just as big of a role as story telling. People judge a film on what makes it better to THEM, whether it's because of the action, story, visuals, or all three it doesn't matter.

Thor 2 can't be too bad since most critics as well as fans think it's better than Thor, I'm not saying you're wrong for not agreeing. Just don't make it seem like everyone SHOULD feel the way you do.

6. psylockolussus

Well its my opinion and I've seen the movie unlike you so I think I can debate with people who have seen the movie. You keep debating with people who have seen the movie about what they liked or not but you haven't seen the movie yet.

Based on the comments from the people who thinks TDW is better, they didn't mention the story being superior to the 1st one, but they mentioned, action sequences and visual effects as reasons why TDW is better.

7. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

I'm not debating anything I just see through what you are doing unlike most people, it happens everytime a film comes out. The people that don't like the film hang around in that films threads and try to convince everyone that thy shouldn't like the film as well. It's really passive aggressive tolling that's what it is, JMC wasn't particularly enamored by the film but he's not trying to push his opinions on to everyone.

You are seriously calling people wrong for thinking the movie is better than the first and they HAVE seen the film. Also you're ignore most of my points made in my post like you always do, which was STORY ISN'T THE ONLY ASPECT OF CBM FILMS. First and foremost these characters are superheroes, so naturally with them action and visuals are a major part of what makes them appealing. This isn't a drama where the ONLY that matters is emotion and story, it's a film about a warrior prince from another world and yes action and visuals are an important part of his film.

Now I'm NOT saying story isn't very important which it is, but it isn't THE ONLY thing in this type of film. You are short selling the value of great visuals and action sequences which takes just as much talent to create.

8. psylockolussus

Since when I people called wrong about this issue? All I said in my post is people should judge a movie based on the story and not just because of action and visuals. Thats merely a suggestion and observation and I've seen a lot of people say the exact same thing when they criticized Man of Steel.

And you are not really the best person to argue with about this issue/topic since you haven't seen the movie yet. If you have seen the movie and you think TDW is better then we could argue.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  9. Saitou Hajime

Saitou Hajime Well-Known Member

I look at it as more of a Alien/Aliens situation, but if pushed against the wall I'd go with TDW, just on the vastly improved scale and set design. Loki was back in his element as the wildcard trickster [blackout]who ends up on top in the end[/blackout], and Malekith and the Dark Elves are better antagonists than Laufey and the Frost Giants.

10. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

This isn't an argument based on what I think about the film, it's your insistence that people should judge the film using YOUR method of judging a film. Now if you keep ignoring the main points of my post I'm going to have to end this disagreement.

It's one thing to disagree with someone, but to ignore 90% of what they're saying and nitpick certain aspects of the post is an entirely different story.

Good grief

11. psylockolussus

Again its a suggestion and NOT an order. I'm not forcing people to judge a film based on the story, I just said they should. I don't know why you have so much issue with that, maybe because I didn't like the film that you think is so good and yet you haven't seen it yet :huh:.

12. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

I NEVER said the film is good, you even saying that little remark let's me know that you don't want to have a sensible convo so good day.

13. psylockolussus

And yet you question when the film gets negative reviews in RT, you post things like "to each to its own" when someone said the fight scenes in the movie are standard action movie stuff and you even said Malekith being one-dimensional and the supporting characters not getting enough character development won't stop from you from enjoying the movie. Obviously, you want the movie to be seen as a good movie and reading your posts, I'm pretty sure you think the movie is good even without seeing it.

14. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

False I only question negative reviews that either don't make sense or are just contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian. I praised JMC's review of the film and he wasn't overjoyed about it either, but he did make valid points without beating people over the head with negativity. Also since when is saying "to each their own" a bad thing, it basically just means it's up to each person to decide how good they are on they're own. Saying that I don't mind Malekith being one dimensional is something I've been saying for months, I have enough of that with Loki. Sometimes I just want a bad guy that's just pure evil, what's wrong with that. I never knew every villain had to be this complex person that you somewhat relate to. As for the Warrior's Three and Sif, you're darn right I don't mind their roles being limited since guess what? It's pretty much always been that way in the comics just like Malekith being one dimensional.

Now what does any of that have to do with our convo? Nothing you're just reaching since you don't really have any counters to what I'm saying.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  15. psylockolussus

You know what we could have a better conversation once you finally watched the movie. Right now, everything is perfect for you when it comes to this movie. Its just getting tiring that you always have a say when someone criticize the film.

16. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

Well....that's that *slaps dust off hands*

17. spider-neil

spider-neil spins a web any size!

Thor 2 (IMHO) is better than the original movie but the Earth scenes (for me) were just as boring as the original movie.

18. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

First of all it's pretty weird to put words into people's mouths like that. Is it so hard to think that people just judged it differently than you?

As for what to judge I think judging on the story is very simplistic. I think you should look at everything. A good story doesn't work if there's bad acting, for example.

19. ddddeeee

ddddeeee Well-Known Member

The fact that the first Thor is even making a showing in this poll is significant since people should be on a high on the new one.

Once the hype settles I fully expect people to like both fairly equally. This idea that critics prefer TDW is nonsense because the average rating is currently the same and we still have 200 reviews to go.

I liked TDW a lot but I fully expect it to drop a good 10 -15%.

20. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

Thor the dark world. Beyond a doubt

21. Feenix

Feenix Well-Known Member

Hmm, so anyone who votes Thor 2 is apparently not judging the movie based on psylockolussus' criteria and is therefore wrong. Must be nice living in a fantasy world where people actually give a [email protected]&! about your opinion. Luckily, we live in the real world where no one cares.

22. Jaxon

Jaxon Well-Known Member

I was really surprised by the sci-fi element in TDW, I wasn't expecting to see that level of high tech from Asgard and others (loved the implosion grenade, was damn cool).

The thing I really loved about Thor 1 is how well Hiddleston portrayed some crucial scenes. The scene where Thor was sitting on the steps after throwing over the table and there you see Loki's hand brush the pillar as a snake would reveal itself sliding down a tree. His scene with Odin while holding the casket. And more and more.
    But I think TDW was much more a film about Thor and it was good to see Helmsworth return to his original size (he looked smaller in Avengers) so I really felt he was giving everything to his role.
    Can't split them, loved different things about each, but I'm happy with that.

23. Thor Odinson

Thor Odinson Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity to watch it today; it opened here yesterday, and I can say I'm disappointed with TDW.
    Unlike the first Thor, I don't think I'll be watching it a second time in the movies.

24. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

Tell me about it!

I think psycolossus is passive aggressively trolling, I was trying to get this point across all last night.

25. kedrell

kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

I gave the original Thor an 8/10. Good movie, but there's plenty of room to improve. I'll just have to wait 5 days more to see if they did.