Which film is better? Thor or Thor: the Dark World?

Discussion in 'Thor: The Dark World' started by psylockolussus, Oct 31, 2013.

?

Which film is better

1. Thor (2011)

2. Thor: The Dark World (2013)

3. Tie

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. balanda

balanda Active Member

That's nice. That's your particular subjective bias. There are many different objective ways to enjoy a movie, as any director would tell you, and story is only one of them. I hope you're not one of those tiresome people who ascribe negative qualities to those who have other ways to enjoy movies too, but it's certainly true some do like to look down on those who enjoy the less "cerebral" *coughsuperheromovie* aspects.

2. FeedOnATreeFrog

FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

I watched the first Thor last night. I liked it wayyyyy more, despite the underwhelming set pieces.

It's actually has a decent heroic story.

And it actually irks how The Avengers just negates Thor's ending because 1. Loki was fine, 2. Getting back to Earth was no big deal.

TDW also undermines the ending of Thor because apparently they can just rebuild the bifrost in no time at all and he still didn't come back to see Jane.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  3. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

I don't know what you're talking about.
    And yet you have a big reaction about something that I just said. Thats funny! :yay:
    There's no trolling in my post. It just you can't take negative things being said about the movie.

But I'm pretty sure if my comment was positive, you would have seen it in the other way.

4. GriffinSTatum

GriffinSTatum Well-Known Member

I have to vote The Dark World. It was not only bigger in scope, but it also had more on screen chemistry with the cast, more than the first Thor. While some of the family aspects were not as represented in this film over the previous film, it made up for with the much better effects and action sequences. Loki is in both films, so it wouldn't suit me to say that Loki is better than Malekith, when I prefer Loki in TDW over how he was in the first Thor, although I still really liked his performance in the first. I preferred Malekith over Laufey, as he seemed to be a greater threat.

TDW will definitely be a movie I see multiple times in theaters.

5. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

I've been watching it on Amazon Prime and Netfix. Gonna watch it before I go see the movie next Friday.

6. Jaxon

Jaxon Well-Known Member

Bifrost probably just needed the tessaract for the power interface, rebuilding the machine is probably simple enough.
    And he didn't see Jane because he has basically been forbidden to by Odin.

7. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

In no time at all? If that was the case it should have been done by the time of The Avengers. They get it going with the Tesseract though, as it's one of the most powerful artifacts there is, but then there's a ton of work to do and Thor isn't exactly allowed to go on vacation, especially not to her. He only goes to her when something strange happened because then he can't stop himself despite his father's wishes.

8. balanda

balanda Active Member

Loki was very far from fine - I got an oh sh*********t in the post-credits scene of Thor seeing Loki shadowing Erik. (If I hadn't seen that straight after, and was convinced Loki was dead for a year before seeing the Avengers, maybe I would have had a different reaction.) This is someone who was utterly utterly lost and now dedicated to pure revenge and evil, resonating in a way that someone who hadn't had that kind of almost-sympathetic origin story wouldn't have had.

"Dark energies" sounded pretty ominous to me when I was watching The Avengers. But I get that some found it a fake-out.

9. tek

tek Well-Known Member

probably more connected to the first especially with the odin/thor/loki scenes. that being said there were some heart wrenching scenes in this one. could make valid reasons for both.

10. J.Howlett

J.Howlett Guest

Didn't Feige reveal that the Dark World takes place 2 years after the Avengers? If that's the case, there you go. It took them that long to get it back up, all the while, Thor and the Warrior's Three pretty much were trying to get the Nine Realms back in order...in which case, it's been 3 years since Thor and Jane saw each other last.

Is my math correct?

11. J.Howlett

J.Howlett Guest

As for better, easily the Dark World just on the aesthetics alone. Pure and simple.

12. ddddeeee

ddddeeee Well-Known Member

Thor didn't go see Jane because he was busy fighting wars, he even says as much to her herself.

13. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

I don't remember what time frame they say in the movie but Wikipedia says two years of fighting to bring order to the Nine Realms so you should be correct.

I'm seeing it again in four hours so I'll see if the movie brings that up.

14. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

^I'm pretty sure the movie states that its two years since the Avengers,cant remember which character said it but i'm pretty certain its said in the movie.

15. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

It should be stated by Jane when Thor comes back.

16. Feenix

Feenix Well-Known Member

17. Casius--J

Casius--J Web Master

Thor 2 by far for me. I enjoyed the first one but I agreed with the complaints that there wasn't enough asgard and a lot of characters didn't get much development. I thought TDW had a better balance between earth characters and the asgardian ones. Better action scenes too although I would agree Thor had a better story.

18. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Well-Known Member

Loki's trial is a flashback scene.

19. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

I saw the movie again and the time frame is mentioned at the end, by Darcy. She says it was 2 years between Thor and TDW, basically indicating that the movies are separated by roughly the same time frame as they are released.

20. Feenix

Feenix Well-Known Member

Ah, makes sense, thanks.

21. 747

747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I like Thor: The Dark World a tad bit more than the first one. They have similar highs, but T:TDW is more solid as a whole.

22. Jaxon

Jaxon Well-Known Member

Still between both movies the best 5 seconds is when Thor regains Mjolnir in the first movie and stands in the classic Thor pose with hammer above head, great music in that scene too.

23. balanda

balanda Active Member

I liked the character arc for Thor in the first one more, because it was his origin story and it was fun seeing him be a brat. I think we also got more meaty story and emotional depth. However, I am perpetually annoyed at the blockbuster format seemingly mandating that Thor's "learning humility on Midgard" arc be only 3 days, because it made his turnaround seem less realistic, and his romance-across-the-stars with Jane seem like a fleeting crush. I also found while a decent attempt had been made at Loki's character arc, there were parts of it that just seemed a bit inexplicable to me. (The plot felt chopped about.) Also I thought Asgard and the costumes looked less golden fantasy than tacky. Both good movies, I think I prefer the latter one however.

24. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

I voted "Tie"...
    I just can't decide!

25. Feenix

Feenix Well-Known Member