Which Films are your surprised haven't been remade?

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
When a remake is announced cries of "Originality is dead!" and "Hollywood is out of ideas!" echo around the misc movies forum, but the fact is that remakes are a big part of the movie industry these days.

This thread though is not about whether you love or hate remakes, the films you suggest don't need to be films you WANT to see remade, just ones that you are surprised haven't been.

For me the movie I have always thought Hollywood, some like Bruckheimer namely, would remake is 'Where Eagles Dare!"

Synopsis:

Several months before D-Day, the British stage a daring rescue deep inside Germany. Led by British Major Jonathan Smith and including one American, Lt. Morris Schaffer, their mission is to rescue American Brig. Gen. George Carnaby whose airplane was shot down over Germany. Carnaby, one of the architects of the D-Day invasion, is being held in the Schloss Adler, the Eagle's Castle, built high on a promontory and accessible only by cable car. The team successfully parachutes into Germany but lose their radioman in the jump and then a second member of the team within a day. Taken prisoner by the Germans, Smith's true mission is revealed.
I always thought it would be relocated from WWII but the set up is brilliant for an action thriller, the location is simply perfect and lends itself to an amazing set piece that done with today's rigs and tech would blow people away on an IMAX screen.

With Ghostbusters 3 in limbo and not knowing if Bill Murray would return to do it I'm surprised the idiot studio exces haven't decided to scrap the idea of a 3rd movie and just remake the franchise.

Back to the Future- It's a hugely popular franchise and I'm surprised they haven't gone after it yet. I think it's only a matter of time.

The Magnificent Seven. I read Tom Cruise was developing a remake of this remake. I'm surprised it's taken this long.

Westworld- This is a great concept and something I would like to see. It could benefit from today's technology and maybe be a little more plausible.

The Birds- A remake of this film could really benefit from today's technology and I think it would do well. I could definately see this happening. Today's issues with the bird flu could also tie into it.

With Ghostbusters 3 in limbo and not knowing if Bill Murray would return to do it I'm surprised the idiot studio exces haven't decided to scrap the idea of a 3rd movie and just remake the franchise.

Akroyd , Ramis, and Murray own the rights http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/12/dan-aykroyd-lays-down-ghostbusters-3-ultimatum/

Supposedly they can't move forward without their consent. There must be something to this because I have no doubt they would of remade it by now.

Back to the Future- It's a hugely popular franchise and I'm surprised they haven't gone after it yet. I think it's only a matter of time.

The Magnificent Seven. I read Tom Cruise was developing a remake of this remake. I'm surprised it's taken this long.

Westworld- This is a great concept and something I would like to see. It could benefit from today's technology and maybe be a little more plausible.

The Birds- A remake of this film could really benefit from today's technology and I think it would do well. I could definately see this happening. Today's issues with the bird flu could also tie into it.

Agreed on Westworld.

If Cruise gets the Magnificent Seven remake done I think they should update it to modern day in the same way that the Feudal Japan set version was moved to the Wild West.

The Birds was set to be remade with Naomi Watts in the lead and Martin Campbell directing.

Less Than Zero, closer to the source material. I mean, not 100% closer, because that was some ****ed up ****, but less... Brat Pack-y.

GB is owned by all parties involved in the films to an extent, hence why they either need Bill or need his permission to make the film. I think they have a contract with Sony on the rights that says Ivan Reitman has to direct any future GB project, until such time as he cannot, and who knows what happens with the rights when the actors pass on, but I think trying to remake it would be just as big a cluster**** as making GB3.

If Cruise gets the Magnificent Seven remake done I think they should update it to modern day in the same way that the Feudal Japan set version was moved to the Wild West.

Technically they've already done that with Mystery Men, changing cowboys into superheroes.

But if you were to do a non-superhero version of the story, set in modern times, how would you go about doing it? One doesn't exactly hire gunslingers to get rid of bandits anymore. And even if they were to do so, what modern day mercenary would work for free?

Maybe make it more modern but still set in the past? Maybe a neighborhood is being terrorized by gangsters during The Depression. They hire ex-cops/soldiers to chase them off, offering whatever valuables they have left as payment. That would explain the "working for almost nothing" angle (during The Depression, ANYTHING was better than nothing).

They can't just remake anything they want despite the fact they almost have by now.

BTTF is too well known and the actors who played the roles are too iconic. So they might do a half-assed 'sequel' IE quasi-remake but even that might still fail so I highly doubt it.

A big budget, The Ten Commandments.

Weird Science seems like something that's fit for a remake.

Highlander. It's one of the few franchises that actually would benifit and does deserve a reboot.

Could happen in 2015, with a teenager going back to 1985. His parents will probably listen to heavy metal or synth pop bands then.
What will be the shocking difference bwtween the years? Certainly not rock & roll, one cool thing in the first film?
Cell phones? Computers? "Emo" fashion? I know the latter is already outdated, but it is still a cultural difference.
And if there's a sequel. Will he travel to 2045 too?

A Dune remake has been in development hell for so long now, it's ridiculous. I think Peter Berg was attached to direct at one point. I think someone like Duncan Jones might be a good choice for a director.

I know that some (or most even) have been in various stages of development (hell) in the past but I'm surprised none of these have being done and made it to the screen or even actual production by now..

The Fly
Jumangi
Revenge of the Nerds or Porkys
Escape from New York
Nightbreed
Hellraiser
Neverending Story
An American Werewolf in London
Fantastic Voyage/Innerspace
The Great Race
Highlander
The Crow
Logans Run
Time Cop

I know that some (or most even) have been in various stages of development (hell) in the past but I'm surprised none of these have being done and made it to the screen or even actual production by now..

The Fly
Jumangi
Escape from New York
Nightbreed
Hellraiser
Neverending Story
The Great Race
Highlander
The Crow
Logans Run
Time Cop

The Fly ! Hell yes I've had that movie in my head for the longest time and a remake can be great.

And I would love to see a TimeCop remake and still based in 1994 and 2004.

The Fly
Jumangi
Escape from New York
Nightbreed
Hellraiser
Neverending Story
The Great Race
Highlander
The Crow
Logans Run
Time Cop

They almost did a Revenge of the Nerds remake, but that was scrapped in pre-production.

I always wanted to see Tony Scott's remake of The Warriors, set in Los Angeles.

Hellraiser. It's the last 80's tentpole franchise that hasn't gotten the treatment and, arguably, is the one that needs it the most. Hopefully the swell business Evil Dead 2013 is doing will convince the rights holders that they don't have to skimp on the blood. They were threatening for the longest time to make a PG-13 Hellraiser. A PG-13 Hellraiser! They had Pascal Laugier of Martyrs fame attached, the absolute perfect director for a Hellraiser remake, and they scared him off by wanting to appeal to teens and neuter the material. I wish we could've seen what he would've done with it. That would have been one sick movie.

They working on Westworld supposedly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"