Days of Future Past Which is better: X2 or First Class?

Cyclops' scene with the comatose Xavier was more character than anything Havok and Banshee combined got in X-Men: First Class.

We may not have known the "why's" of everyone in X-Men, but we certainly had a clear idea of who they were. The personalities of Cyclops and Jean Grey were both established very well in X-Men. In X-Men: First Class, Havok and Banshee were honestly nothing more than a couple cliche teenagers. I don't necessarily need to know the "why's" about them, but it'd be nice to at least get some semblance of who these guys are as people. As it is, there is absolutely nothing to invest in with Banshee and Havok, other than some cool displays of power, which I will admit were among some of the best in the entire franchise.

Character to me is more than a display of power. But that's all Havok and Banshee were. Action pieces.

Cyclops and Jean Grey were well established *characters*.

I understand what you're saying, but as for Banshee, I found him to be a very likeable character. If Vaughn gets his sequel I'm sure they will be fleshed out more. Especially if it's true that he only wants to introduce one new character.

X2~~ I'm pretty disappointed with first class.....

It's a good X-MEN film, but the plot was so simple/lack of creative, lots of lines were painfully stupid, and characters' relationships were not developed well. In terms of above elements, X2 was nearly perfect in every way.

The funniest part is, unlike those fanboys with hate, I supported First Class all the way, even when someone I know *****ed about it after early screening, I still believed FC would top all the 2011 summer movies/most of the superheroes movies. Now, I became one of the very few who turns out don't like it very much, maybe my expectation was tooo high (I believed it would be alot better than Kick-Ass)

X2~~ I'm pretty disappointed with first class.....

It's a good X-MEN film, but the plot was so simple/lack of creative, lots of lines were painfully stupid, and characters' relationships were not developed well. In terms of above elements, X2 was nearly perfect in every way.

The funniest part is, unlike those fanboys with hate, I supported First Class all the way, even when someone I know *****ed about it after early screening, I still believed FC would top all the 2011 summer movies/most of the superheroes movies. Now, I became one of the very few who turns out don't like it very much, maybe my expectation was tooo high (I believed it would be alot better than Kick-Ass)

Oh man this is pretty much me right now. :(

I really wanted to like this film but i found myself cringing at the one liners, bad special f/x (mostly from Shaw and some of the diamond form from Emma) and the bad acting from some of the kids (the reaction of the kids during the assault of the Hellfire club at the CIA). I kinda felt underwhelmed by the final battle as well.

Hopefully with repeat viewings I'll learn to actually like this film.

Tbh, I find X-Men FIrst CLass to be the best X-Men film since X2. Overall, I'm choosing X2, but X-Men First CLass is incredible.

Oh man this is pretty much me right now. :(

I really wanted to like this film but i found myself cringing at the one liners, bad special f/x (mostly from Shaw and some of the diamond form from Emma) and the bad acting from some of the kids (the reaction of the kids during the assault of the Hellfire club at the CIA). I kinda felt underwhelmed by the final battle as well.

Hopefully with repeat viewings I'll learn to actually like this film.

For what it's worth, I liked the movie better on 2nd viewing than I did on 1st. I'm thinking about going today to see it for a 3rd time, since I have no other plans for the day.

BUT, it sounds like I liked it a lot more on my first viewing than you did, too.

X2 wins out by a nose for me due to Wolverine tearing **** up at the mansion and the whole ending involving Phoenix. There is no question that First Class is right up there, though.

For what it's worth, I liked the movie better on 2nd viewing than I did on 1st. I'm thinking about going today to see it for a 3rd time, since I have no other plans for the day.

BUT, it sounds like I liked it a lot more on my first viewing than you did, too.

unfortunately I'm broke right now so I'm gonna hold off on my second viewing. :doh:

In all honesty I really really think they should just remake X men 3, and do it right, bring everyone back under SInger and give us a real version of Phoenix.

I would have given it to X2 if X3 didn't screw up X2's storyline. Pretty much killed all the impact of that story.

First Class is more stand alone and feels more epic to me.

after watching all the x-men movies in the last 5 days ( one a day :D ) X-men First class is the best so Far! my ranking

X-men: First class
X-men 2
X-men
Last stand
Wolverine Origins

The narrative in XMFC is not as tight and polished as it is in X2, but it's much more interesting and dynamic..if that makes any sense at all.

SuperSolider,

Totally agree, even if I put X2 ahead of First Class. The tightness and polish of X2 just win out for me. But, again, it's not by much that X2 beats First Class.

Righ now, I find it a hard question.

I'll need to see First Class again.

Has anyone seen X-men since watching first class? I did yesterday and XFC makes X-men a much better and emotional film. That's how a prequel should be done. :up: :word:

And the more I think about XFC the more I like it. By far the best X-men film yet and it made me appreciate the first two so much more in retrospect.

I understand what you're saying, but as for Banshee, I found him to be a very likeable character. If Vaughn gets his sequel I'm sure they will be fleshed out more. Especially if it's true that he only wants to introduce one new character.

I really liked Banshee as well. He's first failed attempt at flying got the 2nd biggest laugh at my theater (after the Wolverine cameo).

I really liked Banshee as well. He's first failed attempt at flying got the 2nd biggest laugh at my theater (after the Wolverine cameo).

Yeah, everytime I saw the movie people were cracking up at that scene. :woot:

I'm contemplating if I want to see it again, but take my sister this time. Only thing is she hated all the previous films and doesn't consider them X-men films. I'm not sure if she'll like this one or not, I doubt it though.

Nothing could ever top the opening Nightcrawler scene in X2 but overall, X-men First Class, I thought, was the better movie.

Yeah, everytime I saw the movie people were cracking up at that scene. :woot:

I'm contemplating if I want to see it again, but take my sister this time. Only thing is she hated all the previous films and doesn't consider them X-men films. I'm not sure if she'll like this one or not, I doubt it though.

My dad and I already have plans to see it again on Sunday. He also managed to spoil the Wolverine cameo for my sister and my brother-in-law, who are seeing it Wednesday. ("I thought everyone knew about that already?!" :doh: )

For me, it's not even close, First Class by a country mile.

I still feel X2 has one of, if not the best, opening sequences in comic film history. But First Class just has a better overall story, pace, performances, action, everything. And the whole final Missile/Beach sequence outclasses ( no pun intended) anything from any previous X-men movie in terms of action, suspense & emotional investment.

I would say X-Men 2 is slightly better. Though it did have the unfair advantage of having a decent movie to set it up.

The plot was simple, but effective. The antagonist had a good freudian motive and it was nice to see the X-Men have an actually threatening human enemy.

A few X-Men were however underused, like Colossus and Cyclops.

It also gave us some of the best scenes out of the entire franchise.

I have to say First Class, I have more of a soft spot for the characters they chose to include. I've never been majorly into Jean or Scott as weird as that may sound. It was nice to see them them develop/ portray some lesser known mutants such as Riptide, Darwin and Angel. X2 was amazing but after seeing the action scenes and some of the performances by the actors in First Class, I thinkFirst Class comes out on top, but not by much.

My dad and I already have plans to see it again on Sunday. He also managed to spoil the Wolverine cameo for my sister and my brother-in-law, who are seeing it Wednesday. ("I thought everyone knew about that already?!" :doh: )

How many times will that be for you?

That sucks that your dad ruined the cameo. Did he tell them what he says too or just that he's in it?

I was feeling some Ron Weasly type vibes from Banshee

This is kind of unfair. X2 had it's characters already developed and ready for some more emotional moments. XFC really had to set everything up again. With that said I do feel XFC was lacking in script/acting and sfx. The script was rather lazy for the quality of actors they had. And it sucks, cause I really was rooting for this film. I even got a couple of my friends to come out and see it with me who are not really into X-men. We all kind of walked out disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"