Which is the More Professional Email Client?

Lily Adler

#forthecontent! 📹 (she/her)
Staff member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to make an email account for a business venture and wonder which client looks more professional.

I currently have two Email addresses, one with Gmail and one with Yahoo. I always use the Gmail account for anything to do with work. A colleague of mine has a Hotmail account, but again always uses her Gmail account for work.

Not familiar with Outlook I'm afraid.

EDIT: Did some looking around the web - so Outlook is basically upgraded Hotmail. Huh. TIL.

Last edited:
If it's work, gmail would be my choice, it's layout is the most straight forward and unobtrusive by way of structure.

I have my own domain for my website hosting business but use Outlook for just normal email. Gmail always came off as kinda like, everybody and they grandma has it, including scammers.

I agree with @Calvin, register a domain name that suits your business venture and hang e-mail off of that. Most companies that you can register a domain with offer an associated e-mail service that is reasonably inexpensive.

Who do you have your stuff through?

My experience with Hotmail is that it is very hard to start an account with this one, and a number of accounts I know of got easily hacked, even after account owners changed their passwords their accounts got hacked a second time.
While it is easy to connect it to Skype, I'd still recommend avoiding it.

Google is easy to sign up to and use. A functional source that looks good as you use it, and it's more secure.

Most people use Google as their prime search engine so using the Google domain wouldn't look awkward, more casual looking maybe, but not awkward.
Anyway, the person receiving the email wouldn't see how it looks like to you, because they would probably use a company owned paged to communicate and receive your messages. What comes after 'usernameaccount@' would be less noticeable as an important thing unless it is necessary to match authenticity with the address you provide the receiver with.

Thank you to all who replied. I'll look more into the email server option. Money is going to be a little tight at the moment.

Thank you to all who replied. I'll look more into the email server option. Money is going to be a little tight at the moment.
I actually do that on the side, resell domains and email domains. I'll PM you, it has my linkedin and what not on there if you're interested.

It’s honestly not too bad these days, I work at GoDaddy, if it’s just one email address you need you’d be looking at roughly 80 bucks a year between a domain and an email service, and that’s at the regular renewal rate, you’ll typically have intro discounts initially to make that lower as you get started. Like a dollar for the first year of the domain and like 24 bucks for the first year of the email service.

Same here regarding GoDaddy

It’s honestly not too bad these days, I work at GoDaddy, if it’s just one email address you need you’d be looking at roughly 80 bucks a year between a domain and an email service, and that’s at the regular renewal rate, you’ll typically have intro discounts initially to make that lower as you get started. Like a dollar for the first year of the domain and like 24 bucks for the first year of the email service.
Issue is that someone claimed the domain and GoDaddy wants $90 just to negotiate with the current holder if they wish to part with it. And then there's patenting the logo and assets.

I've used Yahoo for well over 15 years. Don't feel like changing it.

i have gmail, yahoo, outlook and other email addresses, but my most professional one is a .mil lol

Issue is that someone claimed the domain and GoDaddy wants $90 just to negotiate with the current holder if they wish to part with it. And then there's patenting the logo and assets.
If they’re using the domain I wouldn’t bother with that if you’re on a budget, owner likely not to part with it and so you waste 70 bucks, and if they are willing who knows what their asking price will be. Try to come up with an alternative .com that’s still decent.

I'm an independent reseller, I just pay them an annual fee to do it.

Well I see that a ".net" domain is available for $14 a year.

Gmail is the more professional one according to many business professionals.

Outlook is essentially the same as Hotmail now. Hotmail is not considered professional at all. You should never use that.

But if you are doing a business venture, you can get a domain name, and then GSuite (the business side of Gmail) to sync it so that it looks like it sends from your domain name even though your actual inbox is within a Gmail account.

Eg - say your business website is www.libidoloca.com - you receive your emails within [email protected] but when you send out emails, it comes from [email protected]

Don't bother with that, because you'll have to wait even longer and it's too expensive. Just pick a different domain name.

I wouldn't bother with .net either, unless you're buying that in addition to .com.

You don't want someone with a similar domain name to yours that is .com while yours is .net. If people go to the .com site and don't remember yours is .net, that will draw people away from your business.

Remember, you'll also have to put in a lot of work to get your domain name to the top of Google. If that .com one is already there, it's in direct competition with you.

Also, if the other business has a similar name and also a similar business area, they could potentially try to sue you for passing off, whether or not there's any real grounds for that. Better to steer clear.

Last edited:
Very informative post :up:

But if you are doing a business venture, you can get a domain name, and then GSuite (the business side of Gmail) to sync it so that it looks like it sends from your domain name even though your actual inbox is within a Gmail account.

Eg - say your business website is www.libidoloca.com - you receive your emails within [email protected] but when you send out emails, it comes from [email protected]

I had no idea.

Very informative post :up:

Thanks!

I had no idea.

Yep. Gsuite doesn't cost a lot to upgrade from a regular Gmail account. But then it also allows you to use it as your physical inbox, especially when sometimes the inbox that comes with a hosting plan for a website is rather basic and not all that functional like Gmail. Then Gsuite also allows you to connect it to more than one outgoing email account (provided you have another domain name). You don't even need to have a website set up yet, just own a domain name, which is not expensive.

The only two extensions I'd bother with are .com if you are a business and .org if you are a non-profit organisation. People don't take .net as seriously as .com when it really comes down to it. If you have .net, it always looks like you couldn't get the .com extension. And all these other extensions you get (eg .biz, etc) can look a bit spammy and not serious at all.

Outlook is actually more pro to me than Gmail, as thstst Microsoft's default. But to each their own.

The more unusual (and longer) your domain, the more likely it is to be available. Think along those lines. But not too long. Make up a word/phrase or change another one - like you've done for your username.

BTW, www.libidoloca.com is available. Just saying. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"