Which marvel villain do you think will get their own film first?

I remember reading an interview (or Sony leak?) with Kevin Feige saying somthing along the lines of focusing on the Superhero and not the villain as part of the approach Marvel Studio's utilizes back around phase 1 or 2. The example given was Spiderman chasing a car and not focusing on the criminals in the car trying to avoid Spiderman but looking at Spiderman the entire time.

This is telling in that even now I don't see Marvel Studio's ever really focusing on a villain all that much. A lot of the info. about Thanos for instance is from reports always surfacing on CBM about earlier script notions, unused ideas, or deleted scenes never to be shown on Blu-Ray, I've gone on about how I see Thanos as more of a plot element than a villain in the ranking the villains thread so will just leave it at that as really not a lot of time to explore his history before events kicked in full motion and even if so with traditional superhero ending to Endgame it was his end anyway onto the next villain again.

Point I'm trying to make is villains (I'm not talking antihero's or villains turned hero or some sort of emotional connection to being hero's buddy in some manner) just aren't that interesting in Marvel Studio's films for a reason. I don't see this happening soon as it's not embedded in their systemized approach for every movie they do.

It worked for Maleficient and Cruella De Ville, so why can't the MCU make a villain flick work? Start with Books of Doom as an inspiration and follow Doom's origin.

I didn't say they can't. I said I believe they won't. Anti-hero sure, outright villian probably not. They've got the next few years planned out, plus all the fox stuff back. Unless they do another Avengers like IFW where the villian takes central focus I don't see it. Would love it if they started seeding say Galactus over a few phases then brought him in. Or even if they did a Doom movie and seeded F4 there so as to not have to tell the origin again. But i don't see it happening. They've simply got too much hero content right now.

Maleficient & Cruella Disney is doing because they're part of beloved movies that Disney is hoping to have a built in audience from. It's just fashionable now to tell existing stories from alternate points of view.

I would rather watch a solo film for Black Knight, Nova, Moon Knight... than a solo film for Doom or Galactus or a team movie featuring the Thunderbolts. Silver Surfer, Namor, Black Cat and Silver Sable... I don't consider them as villains so a solo film for those are fine.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I rather see the heroes take center stage in these Marvel movies. Like Galactus/Doom can still be developed well and be one of the main focuses in a F4/Mcu movie, but I still want a hero/superhero to be the lead/s of that film.

I wouldn't skip a supervillain/s film but it just seems extraneous. Similar to Venom, Suicide Squad and Jokee. I would easily trade them over something else.

Last edited:
I remember reading an interview (or Sony leak?) with Kevin Feige saying somthing along the lines of focusing on the Superhero and not the villain as part of the approach Marvel Studio's utilizes back around phase 1 or 2. The example given was Spiderman chasing a car and not focusing on the criminals in the car trying to avoid Spiderman but looking at Spiderman the entire time.

This is telling in that even now I don't see Marvel Studio's ever really focusing on a villain all that much. A lot of the info. about Thanos for instance is from reports always surfacing on CBM about earlier script notions, unused ideas, or deleted scenes never to be shown on Blu-Ray, I've gone on about how I see Thanos as more of a plot element than a villain in the ranking the villains thread so will just leave it at that as really not a lot of time to explore his history before events kicked in full motion and even if so with traditional superhero ending to Endgame it was his end anyway onto the next villain again.

Point I'm trying to make is villains (I'm not talking antihero's or villains turned hero or some sort of emotional connection to being hero's buddy in some manner) just aren't that interesting in Marvel Studio's films for a reason. I don't see this happening soon as it's not embedded in their systemized approach for every movie they do.

I agree Marvel seems unlikely to make an entire movie solely from a villain's POV (though Infinity War comes closer than I would have expected from them, so who can say for sure?).

Based on the poll options, though, I would say Thunderbolts (and maybe, depending on the story, Dark Avengers) is a very plausible - even probable - possibility. The whole point of the Thunderbolts is that, even though they start out as villains, that's not what they really are in the end. In terms of heroics, it's really not all that different from the Guardians. And the Thunderbolts still have a ton of potential to carve out their own unique niche through exploring ideas about redemption and rehabilitation that the MCU hasn't really touched on before.

I didn't say they can't. I said I believe they won't. Anti-hero sure, outright villian probably not. They've got the next few years planned out, plus all the fox stuff back. Unless they do another Avengers like IFW where the villian takes central focus I don't see it. Would love it if they started seeding say Galactus over a few phases then brought him in. Or even if they did a Doom movie and seeded F4 there so as to not have to tell the origin again. But i don't see it happening. They've simply got too much hero content right now.

They choose what movies they make based on diversifying the types of stories they need to tell. A villain movie about a character like Doom is one such way to tell a different type of story. And Doom often straddles that line between anti-hero and villain.

People make excuses all the time until things actually get announced. Who would've rationalized Eternals getting a movie over tons of other characters?

Maleficient & Cruella Disney is doing because they're part of beloved movies that Disney is hoping to have a built in audience from. It's just fashionable now to tell existing stories from alternate points of view.

How is that any different than the MCU, another beloved franchise? Doom has enough backstory to carry a film and have him be fleshed out.

I think its Doctor Doom, plus I think the script for it is already done:

I would love to see a high quality Doctor Doom movie.

If one happens, Doom. Can you even IMAGINE another Dark Phoenix?? Holy $#!t. I can see Marvel doing that, like, never.....

I agree Marvel seems unlikely to make an entire movie solely from a villain's POV (though Infinity War comes closer than I would have expected from them, so who can say for sure?).

Based on the poll options, though, I would say Thunderbolts (and maybe, depending on the story, Dark Avengers) is a very plausible - even probable - possibility. The whole point of the Thunderbolts is that, even though they start out as villains, that's not what they really are in the end. In terms of heroics, it's really not all that different from the Guardians. And the Thunderbolts still have a ton of potential to carve out their own unique niche through exploring ideas about redemption and rehabilitation that the MCU hasn't really touched on before.

I do think Marvel needs to find a suitable replacement for Norman Osborne at this point if in fact they were planning on introducing him as the Iron Patriot (for Peter to assemble his Young Avengers counterparts to perhaps faceoff with who may be replaced by Ironheart in the meantime?) in a Dark Avengers or Thunderbolts film. Still, I'd see this more playing into a Civil War inspired multi-part event film as a sort of prelude before something bigger like Secret Wars as opposed to a film about villains. POV I think on a truly villainous character I'm still pretty doubtful about.

However, after reading about the Dr. Doom news, I think there's a lot of totally different plans in flux at the moment at Marvel Studios regarding everything. If the Joker earns a lot of money at the Box Office, I can see Kevin Feige perhaps taking a small cue from this at some point to perhaps focus a movie on more flawed and morally struggling characters but it's not something I see Marvel Studio's really being very enthusiastically pursuing.

Last edited:
I do think Marvel needs to find a suitable replacement for Norman Osborne at this point if in fact they were planning on introducing him as the Iron Patriot (for Peter to assemble his Young Avengers counterparts to perhaps faceoff with who may be replaced by Ironheart in the meantime?) in a Dark Avengers or Thunderbolts film. Still, I'd see this more playing into a Civil War inspired multi-part event film as a sort of prelude before something bigger like Secret Wars as opposed to a film about villains. POV I think on a truly villainous character I'm still pretty doubtful about.

However, after reading about the Dr. Doom news, I think there's a lot of totally different plans in flux at the moment at Marvel Studios regarding everything. If the Joker earns a lot of money at the Box Office, I can see Kevin Feige perhaps taking a small cue from this at some point to perhaps focus a movie on more flawed and morally struggling characters but it's not something I see Marvel Studio's really being very enthusiastically pursuing.

I think if Osborn's role was focused mainly on the Dark Avengers, then I think all they need to change is do the Thunderbolts instead, which don't need Osborn at all. They've already got Zemo on the board and Thunderbolt Ross could be the guy who brings the team together to oppose or show up the Avengers. If they were thinking of going full Dark Reign, then, uh, there's really nothing for that but to change direction entirely. I'm still skeptical on the idea of a movie focused entirely on a single villain, but I could definitely see a project like that being made for Disney+. I think even if Joker is a massive success, Feige is intelligent enough to see that its success comes in large part because of its stand-alone, experimental nature which obviously can't be replicated by the MCU.

Thanos is not the protag of Infinity War, I don't know why people keep insisting that.

Given his popularity I could definitely see them bringing back Brolin for a Thanos movie, be it a prequel/sequel or whatever.

I know what I want, which is a Dark Avengers movie with Daken in it, but the reality is it'll probably be a more 'popular' character that people are already somewhat familiar with. Dr Doom comes to mind, but maybe a Kingpin movie would be interesting.

I would rather watch a solo film for Black Knight, Nova, Moon Knight... than a solo film for Doom or Galactus or a team movie featuring the Thunderbolts. Silver Surfer, Namor, Black Cat and Silver Sable... I don't consider them as villains so a solo film for those are fine.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I rather see the heroes take center stage in these Marvel movies. Like Galactus/Doom can still be developed well and be one of the main focuses in a F4/Mcu movie, but I still want a hero/superhero to be the lead/s of that film.

I wouldn't skip a supervillain/s film but it just seems extraneous. Similar to Venom, Suicide Squad and Jokee. I would easily trade them over something else.

This ! Would rather see a film about Captain America than the Red Skull any day ! There's a reason why myths and legends that have been around for thousands of years focus on the good guys - well, the heroes anyway. No one wants to hear about the Nemean Lion's tragic childhood or the Hydra's struggles to be accepted that ended up pushing him away from his family to hang around in swamps menacing people. Instead we want to hear about Heracles.

Having said that, there is a place for anti-hero films ( Dirty Dozen, Magnificent 7 etc ) Suicide Squad could be hilarious if done properly, but of course, it wasn't.

Thanos is not the protag of Infinity War, I don't know why people keep insisting that.

Given his popularity I could definitely see them bringing back Brolin for a Thanos movie, be it a prequel/sequel or whatever.
Infinity War is clearly an Avengers movie.

We already had a Thanos movie practically. It was Infinity War. Also I'm sure general audiences would be bored of him by now, or would think that Marvel don't have any other great villains that they have to keep milking that cow for all it is worth.

Yeah, I'm not sure what more there is to say about MCU Thanos than has already been done. I just feel like his story has been told. I agree that he was already the protagonist in Infinity War.
I won't have to state this myself, all I have to do is agree and say "Marvel Did it First". The movie even ends with him achieving his goal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"