Which recent DC/WB screw up annoyed you the most?

BvS, which was - to quote under Seagal's classic under siege 2 - "the mother of f*** ups'' !

Or it could just be that no sane/respected director would work under the conditions that Zack had agreed to when they finally convinced him to take the gig. Also can I just mention how sad it is that he was one of their last choices, he didn't even want the job at first, they finally convinced him and here we are.

Really, I didn't know that. I thought he'd been keen to do it from the off.

They went from MOS which was supposed to be a standalone superman universe, to a full on DC Movie Universe.

Yes too much too soon.

They could've released a good JL movie but the interest still wouldn't have been there after the absolute dumpster fire that was BvS. The general audience really did not like nor connect with that movie.

The knock-on effect from BvS's (and now JL's) reception is going to be felt for some while, I think. Thankfully Wonder Woman escaped the BvS fallout - I hope she manages the same following JL.

I often wonder why so many directors seemed to view a Superman movie as anthrax. I mean, I get why really big names might have been apprehensive. But with the resurgence in the superhero genre happening at the time and the fact that Nolan was involved, you would have thought more directors would have been interested. I’m sure there were some younger talents that would have jumped at the chance. But maybe WB was only pursuing people with a proven track record (though aside from 300, Snyder wasn’t exactly a hit maker).

Yes I can well understand why they might be apprehensive now, but Man of Steel came straight off the back of Nolan's Batman work, with Nolan as one of its producers, and Marvel blazing a trail through the box office. I'd have thought that combination would have been pretty tempting.

Yes I can well understand why they might be apprehensive now, but Man of Steel came straight off the back of Nolan's Batman work, with Nolan as one of its producers, and Marvel blazing a trail through the box office. I'd have thought that combination would have been pretty tempting.

Yeah. Maybe it was just the stigma of taking on Superman. Or maybe it was Goyer’s script.

BvS will win this poll by a country mile, and deservedly so. It was a horrible movie when it came out, and its reputation only gets worse as time goes by. All but the most hardcore Snyder fans acknowledge its sheer awfulness these days.

People from this thread need to go visit the thread about "Zack Snyder director of Justice League" or something to that affect. They revere Snyder there, they even try to argue that most people liked BvS. It's insanity

JL was bad, sure. But after what we got with BvS, the ones who were put off by it expected this. We were prepared. BvS is really where the damage made itself known. MOS was teetering between good and bad film (I still think its solid despite the serious problems I had with it), but there were enough promising elements for WB to move ahead with Snyder, I guess. Or it could just be that no sane/respected director would work under the conditions that Zack had agreed to when they finally convinced him to take the gig. Also can I just mention how sad it is that he was one of their last choices, he didn't even want the job at first, they finally convinced him and here we are.

They went from MOS which was supposed to be a standalone superman universe, to a full on DC Movie Universe. If I remember, MOS got delayed in 2012. Avengers dropped that summer, and WB had its heart set on the connected stuff. It was all ill conceived from the start. They saw the success of the dark knight trilogy and thought they could do that with superman. All changed with that delay and Avengers though.

They could've released a good JL movie but the interest still wouldn't have been there after the absolute dumpster fire that was BvS. The general audience really did not like nor connect with that movie. The brand isn't damaged beyond repair, but they really need to look at these properties in a different light. Get people who understand/love these characters. If you can swing a big name director/writer to make a film, thats great too. They shouldn't settle on someone just to meet a deadline or be worried that they'll miss the boat on a trend. Just make good movies and let things happen naturally. Sigh.
I think I agree with your take the most Chip Chipperson, especially with Man of Steel. I think you could've salvaged your franchise from that. But as you said, BvS was where all the real damage was done.

Man of Steel was satisfactory. It wasn't great, but they could have built from it. It was definitely BvS where all the damage was done. JL never had a chance after that disaster.

Still JL was the nail in the coffin.

WB was so quick to put JL on the fast track they just wanted the movie out and done already.

Their handling of Justice League. Easy.

While Snyder's ideas for BvS were cynical and misguided, he was allowed to make the film he wanted to make and the film had a clear singular vision under his guidance. The ambition was clearly there, and I can at the very least respect that. Justice League, on the other hand, is the embodiment of corporate greed, cynicism, impatience, reactionism, and sheer stupidity. It literally could not have been handled worse, from start to finish. It's a cookie-cutter movie from the bowels of bad place, and more people should have lost their jobs over it.

Finally, a post I agree with that follows the logic I see. Reason more didn't lose their jobs probably cause following the miscues from someone above them giving the miscues so they wouldn't lose theirs.:whatever:

I liked MoS. And as much as I wanted Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman on the big screen together, I really wish we'd had a Supes solo trilogy first.

Agreed. I loved MoS, still do. Wish we had a MoS sequel first and a few solo films, but the second they announced Batman coupled in I knew the outlook was bleak.

When BvS tanked after its first weekend, WB had two problems:

-They had already signed Snyder on for Justice League.
-The film was scheduled to start shooting just a couple of weeks later, which means millions of dollars had already been put into pre-production work.

I don't doubt that, at one point, WB was very confident in Batman v Superman. They hired Snyder for JL based on the work he was doing on BvS. Obviously they didn't see the warning signs until late in the game. The resulting disaster is what happens when you rush forward with a sequel before seeing how the first film performs first. You gave yourself no breathing room in the event of a worst case scenario.

Production on Justice League should have been delayed. It's really that simple. I'm aware WB would have eaten millions of dollars in pre-production costs. I'm aware that it would have cost some people their jobs. I don't care. Let's look at what happened instead:

- They began production on Justice League as scheduled.
- They kept Snyder, who was essentially toxic to the brand at that point.
- They rewrote the script as they went along.
- They "fired" Snyder after principal photography was finished.
- They brought in a new director (whose filmmaking style and sensibilities couldn't be further apart from Snyder's) just six months from release to not only complete post-production work on the film, but also to write/shoot new material as well as re-shooting some old material.

Sure, delaying the film would have cost them millions of dollars, and it would have been a PR black eye for the short term (at least). But you cannot tell me that hitting the breaks on production, ditching the toxic director, and taking time to rework the script would not have given them a better opportunity at delivering a better film and earning their investment back in the long run. In what realm of reality was the route they took better?

I didn't frequent the Justice League boards all that much because I had zero hope for the film, and frankly didn't see the need to bog people down with my negativity. But I knew from March 2016 that the film was going to be a complete dumpster fire. It only became clearer and clearer as the months went by.

Last edited:
Voted JL but honestly it was that they didn't have a plan after Man of Steel. They just wanted a cinematic universe to compete with Marvel and fast.

Putting Snyder in charge of the whole universe was another

People are right with BvS though, but I voted Justice League because I could forgive Batman v Superman and the fact that Thor:Ragnarok and Black Panther made more money than the first live action JL movie is inexcusable.

XVaiYBQnki8K9gq2RWLWn4rbpUMO4Ud5tCvqmycKPGk.png

BvS is what did it. They tried to cram to much in. The story was a mess and it left their whole universe in a state of disarray. Lex was to weird, and they killed Superman after his second outting.

Zodsday should've been handled with a proper Doomsday intro (punching to the surface) at the end of BvS (after credits). He could've been setup as a villian for Justice League. Then Death of Superman with the whole League around him. Then resurrection in a different manner. Could go FOS sends out something to steal the corpse as an after credits scene. One shots with the Reign of the Supermen on the DVD's as extras then another Justice League movie with Supergirl going to the FOS to look for answers and finding Clark in an incubator or something.

They had templates for Suicide Squad to and just went to cosmic and big to fast. Remake an Assault on Arkham in live action or something. . . . save the bigger threats for 2nd and 3rd films or team ups.

Warners keeping Snyder on board for Justice League only to keep their bonuses intact.

Even though I think Justice League is watchable, like Boom said, they should've just delayed it and eaten the money. But since they were only focused on bonuses and probably thought they could fool audiences into going again (JUSTICE LEAGUE!!), that was never going to happen.

It'll be nice when Black Panther (at the least) doubles Justice League's box office.

Zodsday should've been handled with a proper Doomsday intro (punching to the surface) at the end of BvS (after credits). He could've been setup as a villian for Justice League.

I like that.

They had templates for Suicide Squad to and just went to cosmic and big to fast. Remake an Assault on Arkham in live action or something. . . . save the bigger threats for 2nd and 3rd films or team ups.

Loved Assault on Arkham. Something like that would have been great.

I can picture a large board room at WB with a bunch of important people talking about the future of the decu after MOS. Somehow the idea for their next movie had to come from " our best selling comics in DC history have been TDKR and death of superman so let's make them both one movie!" I can imagine one person speaking up by saying " TDKR is an elseworlds story and meant to end batman and the death of superman is not very well received by fans let alone we have seen superman for half of one movie" the person who spoke up was fired.

It baffles me that this universe was started with those 2 stories as the base. Huge, important stories like death in the family, jimmy olsen and doomsday were just brushed aside for some reason.

Just like everyone on these boards I love these characters and want to see DC do well. To answer the question; is the way BvS was handled

The answer I think we all should say is one word....

"Martha"

That single moment ruined everything to me.....I mean , that is absolutely horrible terrible awful writing. It made no sense, it was idiotic, and it completely ruined the DCEU for me. Say whatever you want about the weakest MCU film - Thor Dark World, Hulk, IM3 - NOTHING in those films were as silly and stupid as "MY MOMMY'S NAME IS MARTHA TOO !! LETS BE BEST PALS !!!!"

I can picture a large board room at WB with a bunch of important people talking about the future of the decu after MOS. Somehow the idea for their next movie had to come from " our best selling comics in DC history have been TDKR and death of superman so let's make them both one movie!" I can imagine one person speaking up by saying " TDKR is an elseworlds story and meant to end batman and the death of superman is not very well received by fans let alone we have seen superman for half of one movie" the person who spoke up was fired.

It baffles me that this universe was started with those 2 stories as the base. Huge, important stories like death in the family, jimmy olsen and doomsday were just brushed aside for some reason.

Just like everyone on these boards I love these characters and want to see DC do well. To answer the question; is the way BvS was handled

Death in the Family in particular would have been great to have before BvS, because it would at least explain Batman's attitude and behavior in that film. But that illustrates Snyder's problem perfectly. Snyder is so interested in the what that he has zero interest in the why. So he'll have things like Batman and Superman fighting each other that he wants to do and doesn't care about how to get there or how to resolve it. It shows in every film he does. He reminds me of the type of person who watches Jaws and fast forwards through the Indianapolis speech so he can get to the shark blowing up.

Deciding to do the death of Superman so soon, and in such a half-assed way, was a big mistake.

BvS for me as well.

It's weird (and frustrating) that the more I see of movies like Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and now Justice League, the better Green Lantern looks in retrospect.

I think messing up the modern Superman origin story-- particularly since they included many of the correct broad strokes but messed up the execution so badly-- is the one that still stings the most. Even over what should have been historic meetings in BvS and JL.

I voted Justice League screw up.

There's no excuse at this point. They have the MCU as a template, they've already made 4 DCEU movies and should have learned from any mistakes via those movies. Yet some how they make an even more of a colossal mess and it becomes the least grossing movie since the launched the DCEU. How did that happen?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"