Civil War Which side would Bruce Banner be on?

Tacit Ronin

Avenger
Reaction score
There is a small little exchange between Stark and Widow where they wonder which side Banner would be on. Thoughts?

I think he would be pro accords to be sure. No one demands oversight more than the fricking Hulk. And I think Banner knows that. He admitted in AOU he doesn't trust himself very much.

Anti-Accords, he would never trust the government to point and shoot the Hulk at a target.

I think it's worth noting that the third option (technically the 2nd when you get down to it) was retirement. The Accords weren't a registration of all superpowered beings in the world. It was a notice to the Avengers saying they're going to operate on their rules or not at all. They weren't trying to recruit anyone with powers or a fancy suit, just the ones that were going to go and...well, avenge, I guess.

Bruce definitely does not want the Hulk in government hands, and especially not in the hands of Ross. But at the same time, Bruce doesn't really want the Hulk in anyone's hands. He doesn't want the Hulk in the first place. He wouldn't want to fight to make sure Hulk can operate without limits or agendas. He'd do what he did in Age of Ultron: Leave. Get out of Dodge and make sure the Hulk can't hurt anyone.

For the record, I think Ant-Man would've retired too, especially since he already did from his life of crime, but that's beside the point.

Well if Banner/Hulk of the MCU were like that of the comics(that is: two distinct personalities) then it's easy to say Banner would be pro and Hulk would be anti. Accountability sounds like it's right up Banner's alley. Hulk though has never liked the idea of ANYONE telling him what to do. He's the bad boy of the Avengers. The anti-hero, their Wolverine or Batman in terms of temperament. But the MCU version? I know Banner has a lot of concerns about his power being ill used but that includes himself. I don't know...I guess it could really go either way. Question really is, where would Thor fall on this question. After all he always has the option of just moving beyond the Earth's jurisdiction if he wants to.

Thor would create whole additional messy political issues, since he's both not an Earth native, *and* a foreign head of state ( well, family of head of state ). I suspect Thor would have to be given all kinds of extra special addenda. Doubly so because his active involvement would very quickly raise the "How does Earth relate to otherworldly governments and organizations, especially when Earth is technically a protectorate of Asgard?"

He wouldn't take a side. He'd stay out of this as best he can. Hell, he made such a decision before all this came to pass when he took off in the Quinjet at the end of Age of Ultron. He can't get caught up in any of this stuff anymore.

Banner would absolutely be torn.
Thor would be above the conflict.
Hulk would be below the conflict.

Makes sense that they were left out of the flick.

Considering where the other heroes wouldve landed.

Pro-
Iron Man
War Machine
Black Panther
Black Widow
Spider-Man
Vision
Jessica Jones (not a hero, would agree they need to be held accountable)
Luke Cage (not a hero, would agree with Jessica :p)
Iron Fist (would agree with Luke)
Dr Strange (just a wild guess)

Anti-
Captain America
Bucky
Falcon
Hawkeye
Ant-Man
Scarlet Witch
Daredevil (wouldnt be able to continue his crime-fighting)
Punisher (would inevitably see conflict if heroes were tasked with taking him down)
Hulk (beef with Ross)
Thor (probably considers heroes to deserve more respect)

Still think the teams would be fairly even with these lineups. Couldve been a crazy battle 10 v 10

Last edited:
They already addressed this in the film in a convo between Stark and Romanoff, they made it pretty clear Banner would not side with them. But I can see the point some of you are making that Banner wouldn't pick a side at all, since he's probably still in his anti-violence mood after AoU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"