Which studio do you think handles their properties the weakest: Sony, WB or Fox?

Vader's Fist

Civilian
Reaction score
I'd say Fox has proven themselves to be the most competent of the three, but I don't think that's saying much. Personally, I think the worst is Warner Bros, since unlike Sony or Fox they have access to a full universe of characters and still managed to to make a mess of things.

Opinions?

Last edited:
This thread would probably be better off in the Misc Comic Films section. Not in the Marvel films forum.

I’m gonna vote Warner Bros. Fox in its current form will soon be no more so they won’t be making any more Marvel comic book films when the deal closes. Believe it or not, The Fox-Men movies are hit-or-miss of course their treatment of the FF is disgraceful but they’re still a heck of a lot more consistent than Warners. Warner’s dropped the ball on Green Lantern and the vast majority of the DCEU and aside from the TDK trilogy only really Wonder Woman has worked recently for them. Sony’s track record isn’t that bad — they only have two critical misses as far as Spider-Man is concerned. SM3 and AMS2 are the only two misses for a lot of people(though Spider-Man 3 was a financial success). Of course, there’s the Ghost Rider movies but almost no studio could make those films work and Marvel even if they had the rights to Ghost Rider at the start wouldn’t even bother.

Last edited:
Warner Brothers no question.

They literally have access to the entire DC Universe of stories & characters, yet because of their short team thinking, they sit here with a universe that feels like an empty shell compared to the MCU.

Warner’s a sad case — by all rights they should be more successful than Marvel as they have access to ALL of its characters unlike Marvel at the start which only mostly had access to their lesser known characters at the time.

Last edited:
WB for sure.

For a studio to have access to all of its characters and just be bogged down by shoddy stories and poor planning is just unacceptable. We live in a world where the combined story of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman can’t even recoup at the box office, but Captain America can. That’s just weird.

Sony, the only good superheroes they made by themselves were 14-16 years ago. Those two were great, but in retrospect it's clear they were great because of Sam Raimi and the team he assembled. They messed up so bad, they had to let Disney take their money machine (Spidey) and put him in their movies, as well as then make their solo movies at Sony, just so they could keep making money and finally have a good Spidey movie again.

Venom shows lessons were not exactly learned.

WB made Wonder Woman, and has clearly course corrected from the disaster that was the Zack Snyder vision for the DC universe. Also while Snyder backfired, their relative hands-off approach (at least pre-JL) allowed Christopher Nolan to make three of the finest superhero films of all time, one of which is a masterpiece that will likely always be the benchmark by which the genre is judged.

Fox was disastrous for blockbusters during Tom Rothman's reign, but near the end as he was on his way out, and then with the rise of Stacey Snider, they have become a nice alternative from Marvel's assembly line and Disney's cluster-fudge, by allowing filmmakers to take weird left-field chances with their licenses. It has sometimes backfired, but it has also given us Logan, the Deadpool franchise, hopefully X-Force... and I still have a curiosity to see if they can salvage New Mutants, because the basic idea sounds great.

I voted WB because I think they've made some head-scratchingly bad films lately (with Zack Snyder being the primary reason).

But still, I may have been too hasty in my vote because the Dark Night movies and Wonder Woman are, in my opinion, better than anything I've seen from Fox.

And WB hasn't made anything nearly as bad as Fant4stic.

WB never should have given Zack Snyder as much power as they gave him, but that's really their one, big notable sin.

Fox has hired more bad directors and made more bad films than WB has.

Wonder Woman better than X2? Batman Begins bett than X2?

Yeah no.

This is easy. Sony. Not even close.

Fox has had plenty of good X-films. Deadpool and Logan in recent years have been excellent, and while they have had their problems, especially with anything non-X-Men related, I still would say they have done more good than bad. They certainly have with X-Men.

WB/DC has been less successful, but they still have Wonder Woman, they still have TDKT, the Burton Batman films, and the first two Superman films. I even thought Man of Steel was an entertaining popcorn movie and Superman Returns had its moments. There has been bad for sure, but there has also been good.

Sony has been a disaster. They have no idea what they are doing. They had two good Spider-Man films from 15+ years ago that they owe almost entirely to Sam Raimi. Since then they started meddling with the films and it has been one bad decision after another. Even WB figured out they needed to get rid of Zack Snyder eventually. Avi Arad is STILL around stinking up things for Sony. Plus, they have Tom Rothman too, the guy most responsible for Fox's biggest disasters.

So for me, there is zero question which of the three studios has been the worst.

I voted WB because that studio's DC films SHOULD be at or near the MCU in popularity given the quality of their character line-up and the lack of limiting licensing agreements. Neither Sony nor Fox have full ownership of their Marvel characters and have (had for Fox) access to a far less expansive character line up. WB had the most potential of any studio, and thus far has (mostly) wasted it.

Sony is the easy answer because they've made a total of 3 good movies in 20 years and one of them was actually done by another studio.

However I think it's worth pointing out that their worst film, ASM 2, is a better movie than FFINO, Apocalypse, BvS, JL, Suicide Squad, etc. So they may have a weaker track record on the whole but they've never made anything as bad as Fox and WB do on a semi-regular basis.

So that said, in terms of sheer potential wasted, it's WB by a country mile. There's no excuse for how pathetic their output has been. They have the most iconic superheroes of all time at their disposal and it took them almost 40 years for them to finally make a character work that wasn't Batman.

Sony is the easy answer because they've made a total of 3 good movies in 20 years and one of them was actually done by another studio.

I don't count Homecoming. It may technically be a Sony movie, but they had nothing to do with actually making it aside from hiring Marvel to do it for them.

However I think it's worth pointing out that their worst film, ASM 2, is a better movie than FFINO, Apocalypse, BvS, JL, Suicide Squad, etc. So they may have a weaker track record on the whole but they've never made anything as bad as Fox and WB do on a semi-regular basis.

I found ASM2 to be quite a bit worse than Apocalypse and just as bad as the others except for FFINO (which is on its own level of terrible). In the Civil War thread we were recently discussing whether Zack Snyder was Uwe Boll bad. I think most of us agreed his movies aren't. FFINO really is Uwe Boll bad.

Last edited:
WB by a Country mile. WW was bland and completely unremarkable but still vetter than the trainwreck universe she has been in. The only cjaracters WB has managed to get right in the last two decades are Batman and Wonder Woman (even as mediocre the movie was).

I found ASM2 to be quite a bit worse than Apocalypse and just as bad as the others except for FFINO (which is on its own level of terrible).

I did, too. Also, Sony produced the Ghost Rider films, did they not?

I don't count Homecoming. It may technically be a Sony movie, but they had nothing to do with actually making it aside from hiring Marvel to do it for them.

I found ASM2 to be quite a bit worse than Apocalypse and just as bad as the others except for FFINO (which is on its own level of terrible). In the Civil War thread we were recently discussing whether Zack Snyder was Uwe Boll bad. I think most of us agreed his movies aren't. FFINO really is Uwe Boll bad.

Eh, I think ASM 2 is a complete failure but I think both ASM movies hold up better than any of the aforementioned films from WB and Fox.

I forgot about Ghost Rider. I never saw the second one but I'm sure it doesn't exactly help my case :funny:

Sony. WB screwed up with snyder and ayer but seems to be getting better, as the upcoming releases look promising.
Otoh, venom looks bad, morbius and kraven solo sound like a terrible idea, silver and black is now stuck in bad place and asm duology was the worst superhero thing ive ever seen. Into the spiderverse looks good but we shall see.

Fox's turnaround was pretty impressive and it'll always be an industry testament to the fact that no amount of franchise suck is forever prevalent and that it can be done. WB seemed pretty lost for a while, and they have yet to prove that they're fully out of the woods. But Sony had to resort to a rival to show them how to handle their biggest property. Sorry, Sony.

So that said, in terms of sheer potential wasted, it's WB by a country mile. There's no excuse for how pathetic their output has been. They have the most iconic superheroes of all time at their disposal and it took them almost 40 years for them to finally make a character work that wasn't Batman.

Fox definitely has the longest list of truly bad films with 7 under 50% on RT:

Daredevil
Elektra
Fantastic Four 2005
Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer
Wolverine
Fant4stic
Age of Apocalypse

Last edited:
WB for sure. I haven't like a movie they've made, except Wonder Woman which was very middle of the road, since TDK (I despise TDKR). They've also made Catwoman, Jonah Hex, and a few other movies on par with Fan4stic.

Fox definitely has the longest list of truly bad films with 7 under 50% on RT:

Daredevil
Elektra
Fantastic Four 2005
Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer
Wolverine
Fant4stic
Age of Apocolypse

Justice League
BvS
Suicide Squad
Catwoman
Jonah Hex
Steel
Superman 3
Superman 4
Batman and Robin
Batman Forever
Green Lantern

WB has a longer list

Justice League
BvS
Suicide Squad
Catwoman
Jonah Hex
Steel
Superman 3
Superman 4
Batman and Robin
Batman Forever
Green Lantern

WB has a longer list

:up: Yeah, I was forgetting about things like Batman and Robin.

I voted WB because I think they've made some head-scratchingly bad films lately (with Zack Snyder being the primary reason).

But still, I may have been too hasty in my vote because the Dark Night movies and Wonder Woman are, in my opinion, better than anything I've seen from Fox.

And WB hasn't made anything nearly as bad as Fant4stic.

WB never should have given Zack Snyder as much power as they gave him, but that's really their one, big notable sin.

Fox has hired more bad directors and made more bad films than WB has.

I have to disagree with the bolded statement. WB churned out Catwoman, Jonah Hex, Green Lantern and (my guilty pleasure) Suicide Squad, four of the worst films of all time. (The only reason I left out Batman & Robin and Superman 3 & 4 is that those were made so long ago.) Those four movies are just as soul-crushingly awful as Fant4stic was. The only difference is that the WB disaster movies don't look quite as cheap as Trank's bomb did. However, the studio managed to squander a lot of A-list talent in those movies, some of whom took years to shake off the stigma of being involved in such dreck.

GL is so hideous that I actually apologized for taking people to see it. I was mortified. It was on TBS the other day and I watched a bit of it to see if it was as bad as I remember. It was worse. :cmad:

Justice League
BvS
Suicide Squad
Catwoman
Jonah Hex
Steel
Superman 3
Superman 4
Batman and Robin
Batman Forever
Green Lantern

WB has a longer list

Oh, s###, Steel! I definitely forgot that one, but does anyone want to remember it? The guys at Double Toasted always use the still where Shaq's eyes are doing weird things when they talk about Steel. Poor ol' Shaq was worse than cross-eyed:

steel-helmet-2.jpg

:wow: :shock :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"