Which Superhero films belong in the National Film Registry?

Why does Watchmen belong on it?

Watchmen is a masterpiece.

But there are only two movies deserve to be there in my opinion for their impact and they are TDK and Superman: The movie.

*citation needed*

:oldrazz:

59507501.jpg

Then you should type "I think of Watchmen as a masterpiece". :p

Then you should type "I think of Watchmen as a masterpiece". :p

Kind of redundant isnt it. We are all just sharing our opinions here. Its not a unimaginable sentiment either. Very recently I saw Scott Derrickson(director of Doctor Strange) calling the Ultimate Cut of Watchmen a "masterpiece". Although this is not the thread to debate if it is or not, so I will refrain from doing so. We are all just sharing our opinions man.

And like I said I think only TDK and Superman deserve to be there. What do you think?

Well, no, we aren't all sharing opinions. A lot of statements are facts, about the factual content and properties of a given movie. Also, a lot of people *do* mean statements like "This is a masterpiece" as flat out inarguable facts, and act as such when people contest this.

So, yes, you really *should* specify "In my opinion" when stating opinions. Because even if it seems absurd to you, it actually does make a difference.

Also, a lot of people *do* mean statements like "This is a masterpiece" as flat out inarguable facts, and act as such when people contest this.

I really dont care what other people do. I dont believe there is one objective truth or fact when it comes to evaluation of movies. I might think Wolf of Wall Street is cinematic perfection, you might think its boring, none of them are facts. Just mere opinions. So when I say TDK is a masterpiece, its very very obvious,that its just my opinion. There are no set of rules that define if a movie is a masterpiece or not. All you have is your opinion. That you are sharing on a message board. And when I say something its obviously my opinions, and I am sure as hell not going to preface that everytime I say something. So keeping that in mind...

TDK and Watchmen are masterpieces in modern comicbook films.

Superman and TDK deserve to be there in the National Film Registry.

Ive said my piece.

Well, no, we aren't all sharing opinions. A lot of statements are facts, about the factual content and properties of a given movie. Also, a lot of people *do* mean statements like "This is a masterpiece" as flat out inarguable facts, and act as such when people contest this.

So, yes, you really *should* specify "In my opinion" when stating opinions. Because even if it seems absurd to you, it actually does make a difference.

Personally, I prefer to qualify my statements with IMO or a similar phrase. That way when I state a fact it's clear and there's no room for misunderstanding.....unless I'm stating "alternative facts." Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

That's how I roll. Although I can see why some folks don't feel the need to put in such a qualification - and sometimes it's obvious that someone is stating an opinion ( "Batman and Robin was the best Batman film ever made.") but it isn't always that obvious.

I think metaphysician has a good point that often people state facts and opinions almost interchangeably - and not everything that's discussed is pure opinion ( although at the same time idiot09 has a point that there really isn't such a thing as true objectivity - particularly when it comes to movies).

Regardless of which approach people take, I guess the underlying theme is about keeping things civil. I'm all for respecting people's opinions, but at the same time have no qualms about disagreeing with them vehemently - it's certainly possible to do both.

Cheers Super-fans.

Iron Man
Batman '89
Man of Steel
The Dark Knight Rises
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Superman The Movie :super: - the definitive 'daddy of the genre that all take this as the template on 'how to do it'.

Honestly, I only see 4 that should:

Superman: The Movie
Spider-Man
The Dark Knight
The Avengers

Being a great movie is not enough for an honor like this. It needs to be culturally significant, and these are the only ones I think qualify based on that requirement. We have many great CBMs, for sure. But these I think are the ones that hit that culturally significant mark.

I'm pretty sure Wonder Woman will eventually end up in it. Whatever you may think about that movie, it was definitely culturally significant and captured the zeitgeist.

I'm pretty sure Wonder Woman will eventually end up in it. Whatever you may think about that movie, it was definitely culturally significant and captured the zeitgeist.

Wonder Woman if I was going to make a list of contenders for a 5th spot in my ranking would be high up there. If I was choosing a 5th, it would be between Wonder Woman, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, or Guardians of the Galaxy. But, time needs to tell on some of these.

With STM making it into the NFR, here's my updated list:

Batman '89
Spider-Man
The Dark Knight
The Avengers
Wonder Woman

Possible Additions: Batman Begins, Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy

Last edited:
With STM making it into the NFR, here's my updated list:

Batman '89
Spider-Man
The Dark Knight
The Avengers
Wonder Woman

Possible Additions: Batman Begins, Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy

I'd agree with these. Not so sure about Batman Begins or GOTG though. The others definitely.

The Dark Knight.
The Avengers.

That’s it.

They do stand out in pop culture as really leaving their mark.

No other comic book movies come close to the cultural impact of Superman, The Dark Knight, and The Avengers. None. The first Spider-man comes close, but ultimately it does much the same job as Superman, only it didn’t do it first.

Superman created the template from which all other comic book movies spring, The Dark Knight proved that comic book movies can have weighty, serious, meaningful storylines, and The Avengers showed how to pull off superhero spectacle in a way no other movie has competed with before or since.

It’s those three at the top, with maybe six or seven more below them, and a big drop off to the rest.

In STM, TDK and TA, you have all that needs to be said about the comic book movie genre.

No other comic book movies come close to the cultural impact of Superman, The Dark Knight, and The Avengers. None. The first Spider-man comes close, but ultimately it does much the same job as Superman, only it didn’t do it first.

Superman created the template from which all other comic book movies spring, The Dark Knight proved that comic book movies can have weighty, serious, meaningful storylines, and The Avengers showed how to pull off superhero spectacle in a way no other movie has competed with before or since.

It’s those three at the top, with maybe six or seven more below them, and a big drop off to the rest.

In STM, TDK and TA, you have all that needs to be said about the comic book movie genre.

That's not true. Wonder Woman had a huge cultural impact this year, and probably for years to come. It doesn't matter whether you liked the movie or not. That's not the point here. It's about the impact it had, and WW had tons.

That's not true. Wonder Woman had a huge cultural impact this year, and probably for years to come. It doesn't matter whether you liked the movie or not. That's not the point here. It's about the impact it had, and WW had tons.

This. I'd say Wonder Woman is the most important movie of the year. I can't say that about any other CBM movie.

Oh yeah, I'm not denying that at all. But it's not on the same level as those three are for me. It's a fabulous film, but has a poor cgi heavy third act that drags it down. WW is definitely in that next tier though, along with Logan, Spider-man, Batman 89 etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"