Guardians of the Galaxy Which was your favorite: GOTG1 vs GOTG2

MessiahDecoy123

Psychological Anarchist
Reaction score
I know the knee jerk reaction is to agree with the critics but which one did you enjoy more?

Vol 1 (9.3) > Vol 2 (8.5) is my score.

The first film was slightly better, but I thought Vol. 2 was funnier. They're both great and in the top tier of the MCU.

Vol 2- it has better repeatability too! After my first viewing I was giving the slight edge to Vol 1, but after a second viewing I'm decisively declaring Vol 2 to be the better movie (to me).

i love both films but the first one is better. The second movie is funnier though

GotG1 and it's not even close.

Very close for me, Vol.1 is the best MCU movie for me, however Vol.2 is right up there with it, I need another viewing of the 2nd movie before voting.

I know the knee jerk reaction is to agree with the critics
What? Who does that?

Anyway, the first was much better in my opinion. I do like the second film, but one of the worst sins I think a story can commit is to feel forced. Unfortunately, a lot of the most important parts of the second one feel forced to me. Particuraly Star-Lord's relationship with Ego. I know I'm going to take some heat for this, but I actually think Ronan was a better villain than Ego...even though he was simple, I believed Ronan's character and he felt consistant. I didn't believe Ego.

If they were going to take the pure villain route with Ego, it would have been better to just do it within five minutes of meeting him. Drawing it out just had me checking my watch because the writing was on the wall instantly.

Obviously, there's a lot more to it than that, but that's just an example of something that felt forced to me.

This was an easy vote for me.

GotG got a big fat meh from me. Didn't see what the big fuss was about.

GotG2 made my top 3. I laughed, cried and the eye candy was beyond glorious.

Plus the story hit home for personal reasons.

Might be the first MCU film since Avengers I see for a 2nd time in theaters.

GoTG1 for me. I thoroughly enjoy the film and would watch it again any day.

I can't say the same for 2. I just didn't enjoy it.

What made Vol. 2 such a great sequel was that apart from a few minor beats (opening credit dance sequence, Peter trying to seduce Gamora with a love song, etc.), it really wasn't a carbon copy of the first movie's formula at all.

I like Vol. 1 better. That being said, if the first half of Vol. 2 was anywhere near as good as that second half, I probably would like the second one better.

Easy GotG Vol. 1 ... but i like both movies...

To me, they had different strengths, so, if pushed, I would probably say GotG1 (mainly because it got me out of my Crapformers/TASM2 funk), but I'll say about the same.

I love both equally right now. I think I will have to watch both back to back or something to decide. I have both at 9.25

Both have their moments, I can't choose lol

I liked the first one significantly better but seeing as how the first is one of my favorites ever that's not slapping Vol. 2.

Overall, the story and depth are far better on Volume Two than Volume One .

Thus, I feel Volume Two is the better movie.

Overall, the story and depth are far better on Volume Two than Volume One .

Thus, I feel Volume Two is the better movie.

Agree and also disagree.

I feel vol 2 is better, but not because of the story - which is pretty thin, almost as thin as vol 1 ("get the orb" that's it pretty much).

But it ain't the story that makes these films great, it's the characters, and in vol 2 we get characters who feel authentic - they're mixed up, in pain, making mistakes, full of regret and afraid but instead of wallowing (like certain other cbms, yes B v S, I'm talking about you) they do what real people do and just get on with it.
Only Logan does more with characters, in terms of cbms, but doesn't have vol 2's humour, heart and spectacle.

Anyway, I loved vol 1, it's my go to movie if I need a pick me up - vol 2 has a more even mix of joy and pain, and for that reason I feel it's the better film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"