Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel? - Part 1

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Thread Manager, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spitfire

Spitfire Registered

Happy to reassure you that your vision is fine. :yay:

Why would Carol need to have a muscular physique? Spidey isn't huge and no one doubts his super powers. I understand Cap, Thor and Hulk being muscular but Carol just needs to look like someone who is an airforce officer (e.g. super fit).

2. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

Yeah, I don't expect whoever gets this role to "bulk up" or anything like that. She's an Air Force officer. She should just be in good shape...which pretty much every leading lady in Hollywood already is.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Registered

Some actresses are a bit on the skinny side and look like they could be knocked over by a strong gust of wind. I hope Marvel avoid hiring anyone like this in any of their movies (size zero isn't a great role model imo).

I would use Charlize and Emily as examples of what Carol's physique should resemble - healthy and fit.

4. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

Although I will point out that Spidey actors get subjected to criticism as well. Both characters, to me, seem like individuals with the "power" of strength. They don't necessarily need to have the same muscle density (because, let's face it, it's impossible to have enough muscles to actually match Spider-Man's strength).

5. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Ever see Emily in "The Devil Wears Prada"? I think she was like a size -2. You can change your physique without going all Hemsworth and if you look at the difference in Emily's body in Devil and Edge of Tomorrow, the difference is startling.

With regard to size 0 and role models, I wholeheartedly agree. I have an 18 year old daughter who just graduated from Santa Monica High. She lost a lot of weight for her prom and, while I didn't push it, I let her know she looked just fine with 20 extra pounds.....not that she listened....

6. Mike5575

Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

Well, at times she has been portrayed as pretty muscular, I mean, she's a superhero.

[​IMG]

7. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Yvonne Strahovski could easily get away with wearing that outfit. Yikes....

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Registered

I doubt they will follow the comics that closely in this respect but she will be toned (don't expect Carol to wear a leotard either - very impractical and a bit chilly :cwink: Love the hair though!).

9. Mike5575

Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

I kind of miss the leotard a bit. Carol kept her long blonde blonde hair. Now they just won't leave her hair alone. I blame the stupid helmet and faux mohawk. The hemet almost makes her look masculine at times. It's not a very flattering look.

As someone said, I wouldn't mind seeing Yvonne wearing something like a leotard and knee high boots. :o

#959 Mike5575, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  10. NotSoLongAgo

NotSoLongAgo #spidermansolit

I really prefer that myself. I hate to use gal gadot as an example but it's true. She looks more like a model than wonder woman imo. I think it's funny when she posts pictures of her new physique and she looks exactly the same

11. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

The funny thing is that I have "NO" idea what to expect with regard to costume. She's had so many different looks.

I didn't think SuperHeroes got cold, but I've never seen Wonder Woman hanging out in Chicago during the winter either, so......

12. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

The de-facto body type for comic book artists, well at lot of them anyway, is "perfect." It kind of shows a lack of creativity in e Big Two to be honest. The films are under no obligation to do that. Carol doesn't need be super-big (she's a pilot, not a bodybuilder) nor does she need to be "super-model hot." She's a career military woman, not a model. Looking clearly "fit," like she keeps in shape, would be sufficient.

As for the costume, the fact that Marvel has specifically named her as "CAPTAIN Marvel" makes me think that it'll be closer to her current costume in the comics. Not 100% exact, but along those lines.

13. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

I don't think that we need to sugarcoat things here when it comes to female super-hero costumes. A lot of them have the ACTUAL purpose of "fanservice." Then the writers come up with an excuse to try (emphasis on try) to justify them. There's really no reason why a no-nonsense career military woman would wear a costume that's essentially a one-piece swimsuit and thigh-high stripper boots, except that it'll be "sexy" for the readers (or at least that's what Marvel/DC believe).

Same for depicting 95% of their female heroes as being super-model levels of attractive.

14. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

All too true. It's also somewhat true for the men (as far as looks go), but you don't normally see Chris Evans or Hemsworth in a speedo (Though there was the shot of Steve after the experiment turned him into Cap in TFA and the water scene for Thor). We generally like our movie characters hot hot hot though there's definitely more of an exploitative angle with women characters.

15. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

in the comics yes, though it's quickly reversing (at least Marvel, DC seems to be going the other way with it)
    but in the movies, female fans have benefited much more from scantily clad heroes than men have
    the only "fanservice" for men over 11 full films has been a tiny bit of SW cleavage in AoU

I'm a believer in sexy outfits being okay as long as it matches the character's personality, like Amora or Emma Frost
    Carol, being military, is much better off in the modern costume

16. Mad Ones

Mad Ones Bebe le Strange

Captain America and Thor do not have sexy superhero costumes, and I don't think sexiness should be built into her costume at all. Showing some skin when she has some down time and in civilian clothes would be fine, just like when we see the Chrises shirtless.

17. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

What about the Hulk running about in those tight pants with no shirt?:hubba:funny:

18. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

well yeah i wasn't really speaking uniforms with the fanservice comment, more generally that the 'exploitative' shots have thus far focused on men

19. BatsDC

BatsDC Side-Kicker

I have a feeling we'll be getting an announcement soon

20. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

You mean like the shot of Thor (for a crazy, homeless person, he's pretty cut) in the first movie?

In movies generally, there is much more sexploitation of women, but, after thinking about it, in Marvel movies, they haven't really followed the pattern so much. It will be interesting to see what the uniform is. I doubt it will be a full dress Air Force one after she goes superhero on us. :woot:

BW's "uniform" shows off Scarlett's very attractive body without the skin (heck, so does Thor's...except his arms, CA's, and Maria Hill's). I suspect they'll go for a little more revealing look than BW or Maria without going overboard, but I'll be damned if I can envision an outfit.

In the more general sense, one of my favorites for the role, Yvonne Strahovski, had some very, uh, shall we say "revealing" moments in "Chuck" which were probably more typical of TV/Movies. The camera absolutely loves that woman. I can certainly see why some people would not appreciate these sorts of attempts at "cinematography". My mother's response was more along the lines of "Holy $#!t, if I had that body, I'd have them pointing the ####ing camera at me too".

I think Marvel is going to handle this tastefully, but if they are interested in casting someone who looks like Yvonne or Charlize, take my word for it, they are going to capitalize on their, frankly, stunning beauty.

The more I think about it, if Charlize doesn't want a multi movie deal, she would be beyond awesome as The Enchantress if given a meaty role. I wonder who would be good as The Executioner?

21. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

On the casting?

22. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

I always thought, aside from being a great Captain Marvel candidate, Charlize would make a fantastic Asgardian. She's just so tall and regal. I think she could be equally great for Enchantress or Valkyrie if she doesn't want a Captain Marvel-sized commitment.

23. Spitfire

Spitfire Registered

I'm going to assume that male comicbook writers have never worn a leotard because they are extremely uncomfortable and no self-respecting woman would want to have her bum on display while trying to save the world. :cwink:

I think the leotard needs to stay in the fantasies of Carols fanboys :yay:

24. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Well, not being a male comic book writer, self-respecting, or having worn a leotard (at least NOT THAT I KNOW OF), trying to save the world (at least with any hope), or having my bum....Uh.......never mind.

EDIT: "not that I know of" Was a joke from a standup routine by Ellen DeGeneres many years ago. She said something to the effect of "I'm single, dating, no children (and here she winks, pulls on her tie, smiles, and sez); at least none that I know of".

Very funny stuff....

#974 InCali, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  25. AndrewGilkison

AndrewGilkison Registered

Carol is a big girl in the comics. Quite frankly, given that she got her powers from Kree DNA it stands to reason she'd have some muscle.

And this is a big budget summer movie. Obviously Carol isn't going to be wearing a spandex bathing suit leotard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.