Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel? - Part 1

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Thread Manager, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike5575

Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

I for one wouldn't mind seeing Chris Hemsworth in a speedo, if it meant I could see Yvonne Strahovski in a leotard and thigh high boots. :drl: At that point, it would feel like I was watching Baywatch, though and not a superhero film.

I realize Carol won't be wearing the leotard,but the reason I picked it, was because it showed off her muscles and definition pretty well. She's not scrawny. She's a healthy, fit woman. :yay:

The leotard just shows off her muscles better.

Anyways, I would pick the leotard over the ugly helmet and stupid mohawk any day. At least comic book artists new well to leave her hair alone back in those days. Even the way her face is drawn sometimes seems off. They can't have Carol look too attractive it seems.

#976 Mike5575, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

I hate that leotard with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. If there's one "little thing" that could completely ruin the movie for me, it's that damn costume. Thankfully, I'm confident that's not a risk, lol.

3. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Registered

Maybe there will be a scene where she has to go undercover as a stripper, and...

4. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Registered

[awkward silence]

5. Mike5575

Or maybe its a superhero costume Tony Stark made for her.

6. Mike5575

I like it for nostalgic purposes, but yeah, bad choice for the movie.

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Registered

The picture showed things I both want and don't want to see in the movie. I loved the way the artist drew her as feminine, but the outfit would be a bit 'trashy' in a movie.

I want to see Carol representing feminine strength and I would prefer a classical look (no mohawk - we already have a female character with an 'alternative' look with SW). Her outfit needs to be stylish, practical and not just focus on making Carol look sexy for the fanboys.

8. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

This would be my overall preference:

[​IMG]

She looks muscular and tough, but still feminine and sexy, no faux-hawk (that's not a mohawk dammit) and helmet, and no mono-kini
    good compromise, right?

9. Mike5575

Yeah, this is a good one. Hair is a little shorter than I'd like it to be, but still very nice. I still think the bright red gloves look a little tacky with those buttons. I think they should remove the gloves altogether for the movies.

#984 Mike5575, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  10. BoredGuy

nahhh c'mon, Marvel needs more be-gloved heroes!
    it's a classic comic staple, and so far only cap has em, and now he's gone short and fingerless

11. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

Just change the color, or modify it a bit. Also, I like the short hair, but I'd ditch the faux-hawk. I'm mixed on rather she should have the mask.

Another thing that a filmmaker has to consider is the performer. You don't want your actor/actress to be embarrassed to wear their costume. And you might be able to get away with it if you hire a young, fairly unknown actress. But an actress like Charlize has clout and she also (judging from what I've read about her) very firm opinions about that sort of thing. Plus she just did Fury Road, where they seemed to go out of their way NOT to oversexualize her character.

#986 Loki882, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  12. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

The difference is that, in the case of male characters, it's more specific scenes. Like they may write in scenes for Hemsworth to take his shirt off, or stick Evans in a tight-fitting T-shirt for a scene, or get Hugh Jackman to show off his bare ass for like five seconds, etc. But it's not their LOOK, their actual superhero costumes are still pretty practical. With stuff like Carol's "classic" look, her COSTUME that she fights crime in is sexualized. That's the distinction, and it's an important one.

Now if they want to right in a scene where, say Carol's at the beach wearing a swimsuit (as long as it doesn't feel really shoehorned in) for example, then that'd be fine. That's a more accurate comparison to those other examples.

13. BoredGuy

true true, that's why, like I said, I wouldn't want Carol in the mono-kini

was just pointing out that women get fan-served more than men when it comes to the movies, not that the male heroes are wearing banana hammocks or anything
    and hey, that's fine, men have gotten it for 50+ years in the books, its y'all's turn I suppose

but true equality would mean shirtless SW for every time there's a shirtless Thor :o

kidding, obv

14. Mike5575

Now, just imagine those scenes but with Yvonne Strahovski, and you have some great moments in "cinematography" as InCali would say. But of course, she would have her Captain Marvel uniform on the other 98% of the time.

Yeah, and then something happens, and Carol has to fly away and ends up saving someone's life wearing a black and gold bathing suit. Just a small nod to her old school costume.

15. Mike5575

Yeah, and look at how long it took to get Cap's costume perfected. It looked utterly ridiculous in Avengers. Carol wears a pretty flashy costume, I just want it to look perfect the first time, so they don't have to mess around with it. I wonder how Marvel would reconcile Ronan's very dark look in GOTG to Carol's super bright and happy costume. They could at least get rid of the buttons on those gloves.

16. Popndough

Popndough Registered

I'm not trying to dismiss anyone's opinion on the aesthetics of Carol's classic lightning bolt costume, but I'm not seeing anything impractical except for maybe the sash. (It's been a while since I read her original series, but didn't she change to this costume to separate herself from Mar-vell, and be her own superhero--Ms. Marvel#19)

There is a reason gymnasts, acrobats, dancers, figure skaters, athletes, and stage actors wear leotards(or swimmers/wrestlers in similar attire).
    They provide very good range of movement, don't flop around when moving, and are aerodynamic, which seems very PRACTICAL to me.

Exposed skin is also good for keeping the body cool via sweat during physical exertion(like fighting hordes of aliens). I know I get more overheated playing ice hockey in all my equipment than I do in shorts/t-shirt playing basketball in summer.

The long boots, and gloves cover more than is really needed for someone who is nigh invulnerable like carol, but I suppose they could give extra protection for when she kicks, knees, punches, or elbows a foe.

Of course, regular clothing materials are very impractical for all superhero costumes, that is why things like kevlar, and unstable molecules need to be used, or else all superheroes would end up naked by the end of a fight.

Skin tight outfits(male and female) are also practical for artists since they can be drawn much faster than more bulky outfits with all their creases, and folds.

If some humans don't want to dress in a way that is considered "sexy", that is fine. If others want to dress in a way that is considered "sexy", that is also fine. Carol seemed to like the superhero uniform Janet Van Dyne designed for her in Ms. Marvel #20.

That said, I will be interested to see what they do with her costume in the movies. I do think they will use something based on her new costume.

The colors should probably be toned down a bit, and maybe add some more double gold stripes around her waist and/or down her sides to add some more detail.

There just seems to be too much plain blue in the middle which is kinda "meh" to me. The sash, which I think will be gone in the movies, just isn't enough to make it interesting.

Her costume will probably end up like a modified X-men 1 costume with the appropriate colors/emblems added. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/06/f9/bf/06f9bf5dbbdd27a10cdb92c99a4f7911.jpg

I am still hoping Rachel Nichols gets the part(I wish I could vote for her in the poll), but if I was voting for pure physical looks/build, I'd have to go with Gemma Atkinson. She is the closest to being Carol's doppelganger I've seen of any actress, especially these days that she has gotten even more into fitness.

She has been on my radar as a possible Carol ever since she played Lt Eva McKenna in Command & Conquer: Red Alert in 2008.
    Her lack of experience in action roles, British accent, and possibly limited acting range(I say possibly because I've only seen her act in a few limited roles. Apparently, she's done some stage acting as well) made me think she would be too big a risk for such a big role

However, from what I have seen(from interviews,etc.), her personality seems to be very Carol-esque(tomboyish, confident, daring, dedicated, good sense of humor,etc.), so she might be able to pull it off.

She has also since worked on her American accent for US roles(she was rumored to have auditioned for Supergirl, although she'd be a much better Powergirl, and she's said she'd love to play her favorite video game character, Lara Croft), and she does boxing/muay tai https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpOjktdSjTo as part of her training, so she might be able to pull off fight scenes as well.

I think she at least deserves an audition.

Sorry about the super long post.

17. Popndough

Popndough Registered

I actually loved Cap's WW2 costume in First Avenger with all the leather, and straps. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Mat...a/Captain-America-Chris-Evans-hi-res.jpg.html

I wish they kept that one.

18. Mike5575

Yeah, I still don't see how Carol's out outfit was very practical. It's not just the leotard, but the whole outfit. I get how a leotard could give her ease of movement, but the thigh high boots? I think that would actually slow her down in a fight.

19. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

-Given all of her major character traits, I just could never wrap my brain around why she'd wear something like that. It seems ooc. And the best that the comics could come up with to justify it initially was "she thinks that it looks style-ish." Which might work with say, Wasp (who's non-superhero career was as a fashion designer), but it's utterly unconvincing for Carol. The thigh-highs are particularly problematic. I can justify pretty much all of the MCU costumes thus far, but that one would stick out like a sore thumb (and not in a good way).

-Basically the main problem is that it feels like a case of writers/artists wanting to make her look "sexy" as their PRIMARY motivation. She needs to look "hot" first and everything else is secondary to that. Which is the case with a lot of female costumes, and it's disappointing. By contrast, her current look does BOTH quite well. It looks more practical/professional and fits her character better, but she still looks quite attractive.

20. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

Yes it's quite good. They're were clearly trying to homage the original costume while still making it look like something that a combat soldier would wear when fighting in a war, and I think that they succeeded brilliantly in that. Really aside from TA, ALL of Cap's costumes have looked really good. And even with TA one, my biggest issue with it was the mask (it looks too cheap/homemade imo). When he has the mask off, the costumes tends to look much better, at least to me.

21. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

To be fair, she spends a lot of time flying, so she didn't really need to walk much.

22. Mike5575

Ok then, what possible benefit could thigh high boots provide her? She's kicked bad guys several times as well.

23. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

I never attempted to imply they served a benefit in combat. I don't think anybody reasonably could suggest that.

24. Spitfire

Spitfire Registered

Dancers, figure skaters, athletes etc. wear a range of outfits based on maximising their performance and they don't all wear leotards. Watch Black Swan and the dancers wear a range of clothing and don't flash the flesh, and many swimmers cover their entire body to maximise their performance.

If leotards are great for superheroes then why don't we get male characters to wear them? Cap is well covered, as is Thor and IM. Even Hulk maintains his dignity and keeps his trousers on. Don't the female characters deserve to maintain their dignity as well?

Thigh high boots have never been practical. I'm pretty sure that the last movie character I saw wearing them was Vivien the prostitute in Pretty Woman. Is this what we want for Carol?

Does anyone expect actresses of the calibre of Emily Blunt or Charlize Theron to want to dress like this?

The simple fact is that these costumes focus more on the sexuality of the women wearing them than their characteristics as a superhero, and Marvel should be applauded for moving away from this approach in the comics.

25. Mike5575

One of the few times in which a leotard or bathing suit is actually practical:

[​IMG]

Namora of Atlantis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.