Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel? - Part 3

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Thread Manager, Feb 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I am 100% sure that Ben REALLY wanted to do this or, believe me, he wouldn't have. It's true that he's got more options than a quarterback and "IF" Theron or Blunt REALLY wants to do this, that would clearly open some doors. I'm just not sure that's the case and we may never know.

He crushed it as Sherlock Holmes. As I understand it, he didn't have to renew, but wanted to; so what're they gonna say? No? Not in this time-space continuum.

As far as Strahovski goes, she's a bit of an unknown quantity, but I feel sure that if she got the right script, she could be terrific. I loved her in Chuck (though some may disagree). She had a LOT of the characteristics I want to see in Carol and portrayed them very effectively.

Hemsworth is just fine thank you very much. :oldrazz:

2. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Not many female celebrities LOOK that good in a bikini, so I echo you....Good on her.

When my (elderly) mother and I were watching Chuck, she blurted out (during one of the many somewhat revealing scenes) "Holy $#!t. She has a body on her that won't quit. If I looked like that, I'd have them pointing that F'ing camera at me too." :lmao:

3. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I agree with you about Benedict and Boseman, but not GotG. Casting Pratt was no sure fire success at the time. Also, I'm not saying Marvel SHOULD cast an unknown (and don't recall others saying that either, but could be wrong); I'm saying they should CONSIDER casting an unknown and I'm sure they are. There is a lot riding on this movie and I'm quite sure they are taking the casting very, very seriously. I think we can all agree they've done an outstanding job and deserve the trust they've earned.

4. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

Also, although Boseman was getting critical acclaim, he was hardly a big name. It wasn't until CW came out that this explosion of interest in the BP movie has occurred. But going in, most people I know responded with a "Who?" when I told them who was playing Panther

5. Jay Beezy

Jay Beezy Registered

Also, Paul Rudd was a known name, but he had no action blockbuster experience prior to Ant-Man. Like, literally none.

At that point of Ant-Man's release, the Marvel name was enough, in terms of casting credibility and box office reliability.

6. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Dead bang on. I'm sure Marvel knew going in that both would work out well.

I always wondered why they didn't cast Sam Worthington as Star Lord... I guess they whiffed on that one... :o

I'm thinking if MS decides they need star power, they'll spend the money now that penny pinching, cheap-ass, single soda Ike is gone and if they get a relative unknown who has what they want, they'll cast her too. At least they won't gum up a movie because someone wants a paycheck. Frankly, paying someone like Theron could easily MAKE the studio money. I don't see why a movie couldn't pull in 10s of millions of dollars more with her starring in it than with a relative unknown.

As you say though, Marvel has really solidified their brand and has built up a lot of trust and goodwill. Fox and DC are definitely having a rougher go of it.

7. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Yeah. People like us knew who he was, but he definitely wasn't an RDJ or Tom Cruise type of name.

8. Tg11

Tg11 Registered

They will go for an actress with name recognition on the level of RDJ and all the other actors in the MCU so I can see a big name like Theron being cast

9. Jay Beezy

Jay Beezy Registered

You're just saying that because of what we've just been saying.

10. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

They might, but I don't think it's necessarily true. They've shown they can have a very successful movie without the household name attached.

I love my argument here because I can never be wrong. If they do cast a Theron, I can say that I'm sure they considered lesser knowns and if they cast a lesser known, I'm right. Life is good. :woot::cwink:

11. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

You're right. I'm so used to him being freaking everywhere now, that I forgot that before Guardians of the Galaxy he was very little known. Saldana wasn't though, so I guess my point still sort of stands.

Again, you guys have made some great points.
    I still think that, based on their more recent castings, Marvel Studios are most likely looking for a "safer" choice (which doesn't necessarily mean a big name actress), someone that'll give fans as much confidence in the project as possible. I know I keep repeating myself but this is a very special movie and they have to be very careful in what kind of messages they send.

But yeah, it's pure speculation on my part, it's not like I actually know jack****. Hopefully we get some news very soon.

#961 Abudefduf, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  12. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

One would've thought Guardians would've had some really big names to sell it, given that it was such an obscure property. They didn't go that route though.

If they need such a big name for Captain Marvel, are they implicitly saying that they don't have enough confidence either in the movie or in a female-led CBM that they need something else to sell it?

13. Orba

Orba Registered

I just don't see Marvel going with Theron, they have shown that they prefer people that they think could become stars to people that already are stars. Theron is too big. By going with people that have potential to be big they can lock them into a contract before their fees go sky high. Also by essentially being star makers it seems to generate a lot of loyalty from the actors towards Marvel for giving them their big break (getting a big role in a Marvel film pretty much guarantees them offers in other high profile films).

Marvel don't need to have a big name star, they have shown that the Marvel brand alone will get people into cinemas.

14. third3ye

third3ye Registered

Months before Civil War I believed that Marvel would need to cast someone who is already a big name for this role, since I figured they'd need her and Cumberbatch to help anchor Phase 4 as they start to build their slate without the OG actors. However, now I think they're in a position where they can cast a relative unknown and groom her to be a big star. RDJ is being utilized as a supporting actor, Evans seems happy with Marvel (my guess is he'll re-up after A:IW), and they're trying out Ruffalo in a Thor film. If they can continue to feature the Big 4 in some capacity for Phase 4, then that's less pressure on the new actors to carry the slate. Black Widow film is being discussed as one of the first Phase 4 films so ScarJo's name will be thrown in there. Boseman's BP has been very well received and can also be leveraged for Phase 4. Marvel's not the type to cast a completely unknown for a titular role though, whoever they get for Captain Marvel, it'll be someone with some name recognition at the very least, has the acting chops with prior work to prove it, and can pull off a likable public image.

15. Dark Raven

That sounds just like Yvonne Strahovski. :D

16. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Even Saldana wasn't really a big name in the RDJ sense. She was, IMO, only slightly less obscure than Pratt. Except for being blue, I don't recall her in any sort of big time extravaganza. They could have cast Worthington.....he was blue too....

I've mentioned before the a lot of CBMs use REALLY fine character actors. Close, Oldman, Hopkins, etc. Those people can really help a movie along. Hiddleston is another who wasn't really known, but is a very fine actor. If Marvel can find someone in that vein, I don't think they'd hesitate to go there.

EDIT: Cooper and Diesel had much bigger names, but they did voices.

#966 InCali, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  17. third3ye

third3ye Registered

I said acting chops! :cwink:

18. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

It's hard to say what she might be capable of doing; esp with the right script. Time will tell.

19. Dark Raven

Apparently when Yvonne auditioned for Chuck, the creators wanted someone who could act, do action and do comedy. All the people before that they saw were either very action-orientated or very sweet and you couldn't really buy them holding a gun. They said that when they saw her they knew she was the one.

20. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I heard that when she went in for the audition that the chemistry between her and Zachary was "undeniable". They knew they had their Sarah immediately. Yvonne is really an unknown quantity and we don't know what she may or may not be able to do. If Marvel thinks she's the one, she probably is. If they think it's someone else, they're probably right.

21. Tg11

Tg11 Registered

How about Rachel Nichols as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel? She can definitely do action especially if you have watched her in GI Joe: Rise of Cobra or how about Katie Cassidy? Diane Kruger she is another pick for Captain Marvel for someone who is a big name sort of but she is kind of lesser known and then there's Alice Eve she's not as well known

22. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Dude(tte), you are seriously flipping my $#!t out. Make up your mind. :oldrazz::cwink:

23. Jay Beezy

Jay Beezy Registered

My pick from the less established side is Alexandra Daddario, whom I've mentioned before.

Interesting tidbit: Of all the names mentioned in this thread, including my mentions, Daddario is the only one that Kevin Feige follows on Twitter. :cwink::oldrazz:

24. KangConquers

KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Theron is nowhere near the mainstream star that Downey is. If you wanted a female equivalent, your best bet would be Jennifer Lawrence.

25. jaymes_e06

jaymes_e06 Registered

RDJ was not nearly as much of a A-list actor until after IM. If anything Theron is a far bigger star than he was before filming the first IM.

#975 jaymes_e06, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.