Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel? - Part 3

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Thread Manager, Feb 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

RDJ was not an A-lister AT ALL before IM. He was a critically-acclaimed actor better known to the public for his drug problems than any role he'd had in the last decade outside of the supporting gig he had on Ally McBeal.

2. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Registered

RDJ clearly was not an A-lister at the time. And that's fine, these comic book movies sell themselves when money and effort are put behind them. I would love if Marvel did another, I didn't see that coming, Chris Pratt style casting choice. That would be fun.

3. KangConquers

KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

The poster didn't specify "at the time of his casting."

The fact that they used "Like RD Jr" to ensure box office success lead me to believe that they meant "An A-lister."

4. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

Ditto. As much as Emily Blunt remains my top choice of the known quantities (followed closely by Rebecca Ferguson and Brie Larson), I'd still be all for some left-field "who?" choice that Marvel can turn into a star. Because with choices like that, you know they were chosen because their screentest was awesome, lol.

Ah, gotcha.

5. Mike5575

Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

Kevin Feige is also following Kate Upton. Your point? :oldrazz:

6. Jay Beezy

Jay Beezy Registered

Was Kate Upton ever mentioned as a desired candidate for the role? Or at all, as in before you just did?

#981 Jay Beezy, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  7. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

Oh, I'm pretty sure that at some point someone on the internet has already suggested her for the role. Some people are just terrible at fancasting superheroines.
    I still remember one guy on another message board flat out admitting that he thought a more, ahem, a more well-endowed actress should've been cast for Wonder Woman, because that's what the character was only good for according to him. :funny:

Nailed it.

You see, this is why I'm so skeptic of Strahovski (or Sackhoff for that matter), even though I've personally seen very little of her work.
    For every person who swears she's secretly great and just needs the chance to prove her acting chops, there's another one who thinks she just isn't all that special besides the good looks.
    In what world would that be a good thing for this project? I wasn't following the movie at the time but I doubt the pre-CW Black Panther boards were this full of skepticism. And the Doctor Strange board sure as heck aren't like that.

#982 Abudefduf, May 27, 2016
  8. Jay Beezy

Jay Beezy Registered

It's debatable that someone did suggest Kate Upton for the part because we don't read about it ever, so if we had, it was probably a one time joke.

And perception from our end doesn't really affect the studio picking someone for the part. If the studio feels like she pulled it off, who are we to judge? In what world have we known better than Marvel Studios when it comes to their casting decisions? Point is it's up to Marvel, not us, to decide whether or not she's good enough.

9. Mike5575

Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

People follow people on Twitter for different reasons. I doubt that Feige is following anyone he wants to be Captain Marvel. Nope, he'll leave that decision largely up to the director and casting director Sarah Finn.

10. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

Of course we matter. We are The Fans. We made Fant4stic fail. We made WB scared of even updating us on what the most recent Justice League developments are. We have all the power in the world. If we unite against Yvonne Strahovski we'll destroy her, just like we did with Ben Affleck.

Wait

But then I look at the poll and I see three votes for Carano and Rousey, so you never know. :o

#985 Abudefduf, May 27, 2016
  11. Jay Beezy

Jay Beezy Registered

Fant4stic was Fox Marvel, not Marvel Studios. Marvel Studios takes more care than other studios trying to adapt comics for film franchises/universes. Now, am I saying Daddario is a shoo-in? Absolutely not. And yes, it's 100% doubtful Feige follows her because she's going to be Captain Marvel (he's followed her for a while, before Captain Marvel was announced) and I put the emoticons next to the Twitter follow comment because I'm certain it means nothing. But that doesn't mean she can't be in contention for this or she can't pull it off. There's a reason why searches and tests are done.

In defense of Carano and Rousey, obviously they got votes because of their fighting prowess, which is more important for Captain Marvel than why someone would joke about wanting Upton.

12. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

It's gotta be funny for Feige that anyone he follows on twitter gets speculated being in a Marvel film

Maybe Feige is just a fan of her boobies lol

#987 BoredGuy, May 27, 2016
  13. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Disagree. Lawrence is hot right now and clearly she's one of if not the biggest names at this point. Charlize is, IMO, a bonafide A list star and has a very high profile. Right now, maybe Downey has a bit of an edge, but both are news where ever they go. Things like this change on a month to month basis so I just tend to put people in groups and let it be. It's always in flux.

14. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

If FFINO was any good, it would have been fine. I don't think comic book fans killed it. It was pretty much DOA. The critics prolly had more sway.

If I hadn't watched Chuck, I wouldn't be a Strahovski fan. I think I'd take Upton over Carano or Rousey. I dunno.....hopefully we won't be going there.

15. jaymes_e06

jaymes_e06 Registered

I know I am. :o

16. Punisher_MAX

Punisher_MAX Ol' Painless

I'd vote for Strahovski simply because she was Miranda in Mass Effect and man did I love her.

17. zeptron

zeptron Registered

Let's also not forget that initially Heath Ledger was known for playing romantic leads(especially his Brokeback Mountain role) and not villainous roles. Let alone one of the most psychotic villains in fiction. When he was cast as Joker TDK people were extremely skeptical and some even made Brokeback Mountain jokes. And he ended up giving one of the most iconic portrayals in movie history.

18. Jay Beezy

Jay Beezy Registered

I suppose I find it comforting that he's aware of her existence and may keep her in mind for something if not Captain Marvel. Maybe since Feige is hoping to push a Black Widow solo film forward, there can be some wiggle room for Hawkeye movie that introduces Kate Bishop.

19. Baneis8feettall

Baneis8feettall Half face half amazing

Point is Feige likes tig ol' bitties.

20. Laderlappen

Laderlappen Fat, drunk, and stupid

Heath Ledger though was an oscar nominated critically acclaimed leading dramatic actor.

21. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

The point is, Heath had a reputation as a "nice guy" who played "nice guy" roles, and they cast him to play this psychotic villain. And, to quote his Joker "everyone started losing their minds" and pre-judging. Because "he'd never proven that he could play a role like that."

Chris Hemsworth was primarily known as a Australian soap opera actor who's biggest film role pre-Thor was an extended cameo in Star Trek 09. Hugh Jackman was primarily known as a Broadway stage musical actor pre-Wolverine, etc.

The point is, just because they've "never played a role like this before" doesn't mean that they cannot do it.

Also having scene Yvonne in 24: Live Another Day, I know that she can play "tough action heroes" quite well.

22. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

I don't think there's any doubt that Strahovski could play a convincing action heroine, I'd actually really wouldn't mind if she joined the MCU in some way.
    But!, can she play Carol Danvers, hot-headed high-ranking officer of the Air Force with charisma and sense of humor to spare? That's my biggest question, right up there with "Who am I" and "Why am I here".

And Daddario as Kate Bishop, come on. I'll make my life mission to piss in Feige's cereals every morning for the rest of my life if something like that ever happens. :o

#997 Abudefduf, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
  23. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

Daddario is too old to play Kate Bishop anyway. I'd love to see her in the MCU at some point, but not as Kate Bishop.

24. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

Daddario is so beatiful it hurts. With looks like hers, I could definitely see her playing the Enchantress or some other magic user (I'm not familiar with the Doctor Strange supporting cast, but there's got to be someone in there for her to play).

But nope, she's definitely no Kate Bishop.

25. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

I could maybe see her playing Jessica Drew as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.