Who do you want to see as Captain Marvel? - Part 4

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Thread Manager, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

I can't find any confirmation of that yet. Maybe the article you read could have been speculation?

#751 flickchick85, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  2. DarthMuppet

DarthMuppet Lord John Whorfin

I can't find it anymore either. I think you're probably right though.

3. Joeyjojo72

Joeyjojo72 Registered

Well , to those who care about such things, Ms. Larson does have certain proportions that match the way Carol (and every other female cb character) has been illustrated historically. Costuming should be a breeze.

Of course for me it's all about the acting.

4. DarthMuppet

One of the better mock-ups I've seen for Brie...

[​IMG]

5. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

That's pretty cool, but those darn heels. :cmad:
    I swear, if they give her heels in the movie I'm gonna write at least a couple of annoyed comments on the internet. Maybe even three or four. I'm serious.

I mean, I realize that Larson's not particularly tall so they might want to give her something to help her look taller in group shots, but I'm talking about the in-movie costume here, the one that will be reproduced in toys; and imo that one absolutely shouldn't have them.
    Unfortunately for me Anka's recent redesign (which I assume will be the basis for the movie's one) kind of does have heels so I'm expecting the worst, but who knows.

End of the off-topic rant. So, um, yeah, how about some news, MS. :o

6. flickchick85

Not that this matters, but I actually have a feeling that Larson's taller than the 5'7" Google would have you believe, tbh. In a couple of films I've noticed that she kind of towers over her female co-stars, she's definitely taller than Amy Schumer who's listed as the same height as her (Amy looks taller in certain Trainwreck scenes but that's just movie magic because if you see them together at events, Brie is notably taller), and I remember seeing one interview with her where she said she doesn't like to wear heels partially because she's tall already and doesn't want the extra height. "Official" heights in Hollywood are often fudged upwards for men and downwards for women because Hollywood casting agents are still of that old mindset that male stars should be taller than their female co-stars. I get the impression that's the case with Brie, and she's actually more like 5'8", which is taller than average for a woman.

Anyway, this is just a long-winded way of saying, yeah, she doesn't need the heels. Even with no shoes on at all, her Carol would be taller than Scarlett Witch and positively tower over Black Widow. She'd also probably be taller than RDJ without his lifts too, let's be real. ;)

7. DarthMuppet

Totally with you guys on the heels. My hope is that with Marvel pursuing a female director, they'll actually give CM boots with heels that are function over form... you know, like a real military officer would wear. As you say, Brie isn't exactly short. She's the same height as Daisy Ridley, and Rey wasn't wearing high heels in TFA, nor did she look short.

8. Mike5575

Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

Now that's our Captain Marvel! :ilv:

I agree. Brie Larson is tall. She's just as tall as 6'0 Leonardo DiCaprio. Not accounting for the heels, I'd say she's somewhere between 5'8-5'9.

[​IMG]

#758 Mike5575, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  9. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I can't see any image, at least on this device.

10. flickchick85

It's showing up for me.

11. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Ok, I can see it on my laptop now, but not a mobile device for some reason.

Yeah, those heels are way too tall. I hope the suit is skintight and comic booky like that. The boobs look a bit too pointed though.

12. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

Well, I think Leo being 6'0" is some hollywood height, he's prob closer to like 5'10"
    but either way, she's not short considering she doesn't wear giant heels to award shows

13. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I wonder if Bigelow would take a project like this....she's pretty awesome.

14. SoNicRaDiATioN

SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

The thought of Bigelow directing Captain Marvel has entered my imagination many times...She did do Point Break and Strange Days.

15. AndrewGilkison

AndrewGilkison Registered

Bigelow said she had no interest in doing a superhero movie last I checked.

16. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

Idk I've only ever seen Point Break and Hurt Locker of hers, and they were both pretty meh
    so off of very limited experience with her work, I'm not upset if she doesn't do a Marvel film

17. SoNicRaDiATioN

SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

I like Point Break, used to love it, but it hasn't aged well at all. Extremely dated.

18. Brian Braddock

Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Its very much a film of the times, but its still great to me.

19. Mike5575

Scarjo is only 5'3, but Black Widow is 5'7 in the movies. Yet, she's clearly not wearing high heels in the movie.

Brie Larson is 5'7, which is taller than the average height for women. If she's a little taller than that, then Marvel only needs add a couple of inches there. Nothing to worry about.

As far as the overall look of the costume, the only thing we can be sure of is that the costume will be some variation of the Captain Marvel costume that we've seen since she took the mantle. Kris Anka's redesign has heavily inspired by the Warbird look with the extra padding and pouches. The notion that any redesign is because of the movies is unsubstantiated. Marvel Comics is still Marvel Comics, and they wouldn't want to stifle the artistic creativity of their artists. So far, the MCU has had their own unique take when it comes to designing costumes.

20. Mike5575

So, Marvel's schedule for Hall H at SDCC has been released. The panel is 75 minutes long. Enough time to squeeze in Captain Marvel announcement?

21. BatsDC

BatsDC Side-Kicker

That's longer than usual. GotG Vol 2 and Doctor Stange will certainly fill up the majority of the panel, and there'll probably be some Spidey stuff too... But there should be time for a Captain Marvel announcement, even if they just walk Brie out on stage for thrity seconds.

I'm expecting soemthing to do with Infinity War honestly, they could bring Brie out for that.

22. flickchick85

My pipe dream scenario is that they do a repeat of SDCC 2010 - at the very end of the presentation surprise everyone by bringing out the cast line-up of Avengers: Infinity War for the first time, which would hopefully be their moment to introduce Brie. But I realize it's harder to get everyone there now, so such an event is unlikely.

#772 flickchick85, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  23. harryoscop

harryoscop Registered

Momma :hrt:

24. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

Well, Feige said to wait until the middle of summer and the middle of summer is near so yeah, I'd say it's about time for an announcement. :cmad:

Interesting, if true. I mean, in the photo posted by Mike55 she does indeed appear to be taller than Vikander, even though according to Google they should be more or less of the same height.
    However, Gal Gadot is also quite tall but that didn't stop WB from giving her heels, so I don't know what to expect. :hehe:

Are you sure about that? I never payed attention to it while watching the movies but I do know that all the Hot Toys figures of Widow do have heels, which is why I just assumed they were canonically part of her costumes.

They will use that one as the base. Just you wait.
    No but seriously, as I said it's just my assumption. I find Anka's design to be pretty... MCU-esque already, it would probably need very few changes to work.

#774 Abudefduf, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  25. harryoscop

harryoscop Registered

We're definitely getting an announcement at CC.

Also, Carol's alien space suit that she got from the Kree shouldn't look like Earth military flight suit. I really hope that's not what we're getting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.