Who has the toughest job?

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by Khonshu, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Khonshu Registered

We've been told a number of times that releasing Guardians of the Galaxy is somewhat of a "risky move" for Marvel Studios because it is a "lesser known" IP from the Marvel comics canon. I personally have really good vibes about this flick, but I feel like a lot of moving parts have to come together to make it the hit that we all want it to be.

That being said... who has the toughest job, do you think? What actor, character, production element, etc. has the most important piece of the puzzle to make this thing succeed?

Is it James Gunn - to deliver a cohesive, entertaining, and quirky picture that connects with increasingly jaded audiences?

Is it Chris Pratt - to produce a Star Lord that we can envision leading us on many more Galactic adventures?

Is it Rocket - to show us that a film can make a talking animal into a serious and believable dramatic character?

Is it Lee Pace - to give us a compelling villain that is grounded and presents a real challenge to our heroes?

There's a huge list that could be made for this...

WHO WILL MAKE... OR BREAK... THE GUARDIANS?

2. Khonshu Registered

I'm going to kick things off by saying that I think that Lee Pace has the toughest job in this film. The heroes and the film will be defined by its villain, and as such, a film with an animated tree and raccoon will flop if the villain that they are combating is cartoonish or played as a generic "bad guy". I know that Pace is somewhat subject to the writing and the dialogue - make no mistake, the guy needs a good script - but ultimately if Pace doesn't lend gravitas to the role, then I can see the film faltering.

I hate to compare Guardians to the original Star Wars trilogy, but I truly feel that one of the main contributing factors to the success of Star Wars was because Vader was played as deadly serious, intelligent, and as a significant threat to the heroes. If Ronin is indeed the "big bad" of this Guardians film, then he needs to be smart, ruthless, and without any sign of campiness. I think that this is true key to this films success.

3. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

I think the crucial player is James Gunn. The film will ultimately soar or fall on the quality of its script, and the quality of the final product, and Gunn - as writer and director - is responsible for both. But ultimately, everyone has a role to play, especially in a film whose ensemble is so upfront and center.

4. warhorse78 Registered

Probably the editor.

5. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Its the audience. To find something they could possibly dislike about this film. LOOKS AWESOME