Who is more likely to kill? Batman or Superman? (NO MOS SPOILERS till 6/24)

MessiahDecoy123

Psychological Anarchist
Reaction score
I know MOS is the elephant in the room but please put anything regarding that movie in spoiler tags until June 24th (10 full days after MOS is released).

So which character is more likely to kill?

Superman largely because he has dealt with the kind of threats (Doomsday, Zod in the late 80s comic where he executed him and his cohorts for example) where's had no choice besides when they were together in the comics as KINGDOM COME suggested if something had happened to Lois I imagine he would to nobody's surprise.

Barring the his first year(1939) the character of Batman has been driven to nearly killing foes (The Joker) at times but has always resisted.

Really?

In the "primary-at-the-time" comics version, who has Batman ever actually killed? I'm genuinely curious, as I can't recall anything. I guess the closest I ever saw was when he fought Qayin (whom Bruce mistakenly believed was responsible for the miscarriage of his and Talia's baby) in the memorable graphic novel "Son of the Demon" wayy back in 1987, and even then I'm not sure Batman dealt the killing blow himself.

Superman, on the other hand, HAS killed in the "primary-at-the-time" comics version. He reluctantly but forcefully acted as judge, jury and executioner to the pocket universe's Phantom Zone criminals. The three villians had just went full-on Kryptonian and wiped out the entire population of Earth in the pocket universe and threatened to find and do the same to Superman's Earth. Superman first exposed them to Gold K to rob them of their powers and then exposed them to Green K to kill all three of them. Killing them affected Superman so greatly he began subconsciously masquerading as Gangbuster and then left Earth for deep space for several months because he was afraid of what he was now capable of.

Both stories have been retconned, but the Superman one was definitely in-continuity for a long time.

Superman is (ridiculously) more likely to kill.

I say Superman. Both opinions can have solid points. The episode of the Justice League cartoon A Better World perfectly sums up the moral values of both heroes and how far are they willing to go without crossing their own lines. The only incident of Batman killing that I remember is in The Dark Knight Returns, the infamous "I believe you." scene where really there was no other way of getting out of that situation without having the little kid murdered by the Mutants. In the animated film they showed Batman like Lucky Luck hitting the guy's hand instead of killing him and although i like it better it's very cartoony and less badass. Even a pissed of Frank Miller couldn't make Bats properly kill someone. Superman i feel can be easly corrupted while trying to do the right thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeqej4539Yw

Really?

In the "primary-at-the-time" comics version, who has Batman ever actually killed? I'm genuinely curious, as I can't recall anything. I guess the closest I ever saw was when he fought Qayin (whom Bruce mistakenly believed was responsible for the miscarriage of his and Talia's baby) in the memorable graphic novel "Son of the Demon" wayy back in 1987, and even then I'm not sure Batman dealt the killing blow himself.

Superman, on the other hand, HAS killed in the "primary-at-the-time" comics version. He reluctantly but forcefully acted as judge, jury and executioner to the pocket universe's Phantom Zone criminals. The three villians had just went full-on Kryptonian and wiped out the entire population of Earth in the pocket universe and threatened to find and do the same to Superman's Earth. Superman first exposed them to Gold K to rob them of their powers and then exposed them to Green K to kill all three of them. Killing them affected Superman so greatly he began subconsciously masquerading as Gangbuster and then left Earth for deep space for several months because he was afraid of what he was now capable of.

Both stories have been retconned, but the Superman one was definitely in-continuity for a long time.

Superman is (ridiculously) more likely to kill.

Bruce Wayne forced Joe Chill to suicide. He pushed a man under a train in Detective Comics #821, he buried the KGBeast alive to starve to death, he killed Ra's Al Ghul and then burnt his body to prevent any resurrections. He also killed Ra's' father The Sensei at Nanda Parbat. It seems inevitable he will have killed someone in his time as the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh. Those are the major ones that spring to mind immediately, not just the several times we see panels of Bruce blowing up helicopters and cars and stuff (I remember one particular one from NML where a pilot couldn't escape from a helicopter Bruce took out). While Superman's body count is more memorable, it's just because we don't expect it from him, we kinda do from Bruce.

EDIT : feeling like a complete ******** for not learning the meaning of the word " barring " before making this post. move on. lol

Last edited:
Who cares about the first appearances of Batman. Batman is better told more like he is today. I go with superman just because he has some villains like doomsday that have to be killed

I would have to go with Batman for this poll. While Batman has the moral compass to try to avoid killing at any cost, for me it comes down to the fact that Bruce is still human and as such is still very limited compared to Kal-El who has the power to conceivably get through most situations with only a fraction of his total power, and that's still enough to do it non-lethally; he just has more options available to him than Batman does. The writers at any time are pretty much obligated to show Batman doing the impossible so he doesn't find himself in a compromising situation

Both have histories of killing. In terms of cinema, Batman has racked up an impressive body count in both the Burton-Schumacher and Nolan series. I only saw Superman Returns and do not recall him killing; however, considering the standards in previous Nolan and Snyder films, there is a considerable chance he will cause the circumstances leading to character(s) death(s) in Man of Steel.

Both have histories of killing. In terms of cinema, Batman has racked up an impressive body count in both the Burton-Schumacher and Nolan series. I only saw Superman Returns and do not recall him killing; however, considering the standards in previous Nolan and Snyder films, there is a considerable chance he will cause the circumstances leading to character(s) death(s) in Man of Steel.

The first thing that pops into my head is the sequence in Batman Returns where Bats sets one of the Red Triangle Circus gang on fire, then blows up another one with a bomb. In the heat of battle, especially facing multiple opponents, Batman has always been willing to do whatever is necessary.

of the two, Batman would be more likely to intentionally kill someone
(not that it would be likely for him to do it) just more likely then it would be for Superman too

however, it might be more likely for Superman to accidentally kill someone (his battles especially with some of his bigger baddies can get pretty epic, and can cause a lot of collateral damage, smashing through building, debris falling all about, cars being thrown around) he has a bigger chance of causing death

it's pretty easy for bats to "accidentally " kill someone too, as seen in pretty much all the nolan films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"