The Dark Knight Rises Who is the main villain of this movie? *SPOILERS*

After seeing the movie again, I realized that Bane actually doesn't take orders from Talia, contrary to what people have said. The only order she gives him (leave Batman alive), he directly disobeys. So I don't get why people are calling him a lackey.

Bane. As others have said, he played Dagget like a puppet and "liberated" Gotham City. Plus Talia wouldn't have gotten out of the Pit if not for Bane. Bane was fairly genre savy as well: "show me the body" and attempting to shoot Batman pointblank to ensure he and Talia's plan went off. Bane was the main villain and Talia was Osito.

If you prefer, Bane was the Batman to Talia's Jim Gordon.

Last edited:
Bane has the most screentime as a villain in the film and gets all the cool action moments. He's definitely the decoy Ra's al Ghul of the film (Ken Watanabe in Batman Begins), who was shown giving orders and I think Bruce Wayne was supposed to replace him and attack Gotham . Except Bane doesn't die 40 minutes into the film, but he kind of goes out in a similar fashion (or like Rachel tasering Scarecrow) and then is forgotten about as the next set piece is set up. Bane at least became wiser than Talia that Batman had to die in order for the plan to succeed after his teary tender moment with her and she says bye-bye to him.

Talia is Ra's al Ghul's heir, who set her sights on destroying Gotham when her father died as a result of Batman's actions and she lost any resentment toward her father. She wasn't excommunicated from the League, but with her father gone it's clearly her that brought Bane back into the organization that cast him out. It's her family drama that makes up just about all of the flashback time in an attempted mislead to make the audience think it's Bane like Bruce did. It's her that hides in the shadows and hides behind a frontman just like daddy. She's rich like her father became.* She's accustomed to barking orders, even to Bane, who is her friend and protector. It's her fusion bomb and her detonator. It's her that dies last, gloating.

*Neeson said Ra's al Ghul was very rich, even if it didn't come across in Batman Begins, "I think he's as rich as Bruce Wayne, and has access to enormous, enormous funds of money. And he's like Bruce Wayne. He wants to defeat evil and corruption in the world." "And has developed a way of doing that...without revealing too much." Variety reported a spoiler in early 2004, "Liam Neeson plays the villain, Ra's Al Ghul, a wealthy international terrorist."

Last edited:
I agree with Caped Crusader; it was Ra's Al Ghul's plan all along. Talia and Bane merely put his plan into play. Ra's was the mastermind in the end

Bane and Talia still put their own spin on it. They wanted to spark off widescale revolution by any means necessary. Ra's seemed more eager to make an example of Gotham and use that as a warning to other cities/societies: Change the way you do things, or we'll change it for you.

The fact that this is even a reasonable question to ask depresses me immensely.

For me, Bane and Talia were equals but I understand why some didn't think that way. I remember overhearing some people chatting after the movie and they were laughing at how Bane turned out to be some "lovesick lap dog". :(

For me, Bane and Talia were equals but I understand why some didn't think that way. I remember overhearing some people chatting after the movie and they were laughing at how Bane turned out to be some "lovesick lap dog". :(

Devin's source had this part right when he was told in March 2011: "The League of Shadows. Headed by Talia Al’Ghul. With Bane, who is her muscle/possible love interest." :oldrazz:

I know a girl who wants a Bane stuffed animal because he's just a big old lovesick teddy bear at heart, in her opinion. She thinks it's cute.

Devin's source had this part right when he was told in March 2011: "The League of Shadows. Headed by Talia Al’Ghul. With Bane, who is her muscle/possible love interest." :oldrazz:

I know a girl who wants a Bane stuffed animal because he's just a big old lovesick teddy bear at heart, in her opinion. She thinks it's cute.

LOL That's how Tumblr is right now. A lot of gushing because he's really just a lovesick softie who'll do anything including tearing the world apart for his girl. :hehe:

Crazy how Devin was 2 out 3 with this scoop. After seeing the movie, I wish the 3rd (about Blake) just ended up being true as well. :p

The person (I bet Chris Nolan) who decides to not give enough screen time or do more things to Selina/Catwoman...

"Impossible. Keep her close, he'll come for her."

The perfect comparison for Bane and Talia would be Electra King and Renard from the Bond movie "The World is Not Enough". Renard was seen as the "main baddie" throughout most of the film until its revealed that Electra (Bond's love interest) is actually working with Renard and are lovers. It didn't degrade Renard to a henchman they both had the same goals and were both equally in charge basically co-main antagonist. One was theatrically (Renard) while Electra was deception.

You see pretty much the same exact thing here in TDKR. Bane is viewed as the sole mastermind until Talia reveals to be working WITH Bane and its shown that their is some kind of love or special relationship between the two. It DID NOT lower Bane to a muscle henchmen. They both had the SAME GOALS. Bane had more than Talia as he also probably wanted to prove Ra's wrong that he was a worthy successor. Bane (theatrically) and Talia (deception) were both the main villains.

I can see why alot of people got upset about the Talia reveal as a lot of us wanted Bane to be a solo mastermind and they way they presented the reveal left the "who is the real mastermind?" up to interpretation. I initially was upset about this as well. But after seeing it again they both had same amount of authority over the LOS and Bane did most of the work anyways. And like a lot are pointing out when Talia gave her only order to Bane he pretty much gave her the finger and did his own thing so yeah they both were the main villains.

These same four people who go into every thread where people are having a discussion and try to make a quick jab at one of the Nolan's, the plot, or whatever are getting extremely exhausting. You didn't like the movie or aspects of it, cool. Go somewhere else and quote each other and giggle at the depressing questions us morons are asking and answering.

These same four people who go into every thread where people are having a discussion and try to make a quick jab at one of the Nolan's, the plot, or whatever are getting extremely exhausting. You didn't like the movie or aspects of it, cool. Go somewhere else and quote each other and giggle at the depressing questions us morons are asking and answering.

Lol it does somewhat remind me of a middle school gossip session. Make sure we keep saying how cool it is that tumblr is making fun of bane. And I love how people keep pretending that as soon as they got out of the movie the first thing they heard people talking about was how bane was talias "lap dog" or "lovesick". Exaggerate much to make sure your opinion is validated? And the whole "bane is lovesick" or "friendzoned" was funny for the first 200 times it may have been a joke now it's rather lame. Especially when even a 5 year old can figure out its platonic love and he was acting as her protector.

Last edited:

Because it's the cool thing to do. :o

Lol it does somewhat remind me of a middle school gossip session. Make sure we keep saying how cool it is that tumblr is making fun of bane. And I love how people keep pretending that as soon as they got out of the movie the first thing they heard people talking about was how bane was talias "lap dog" or "lovesick". Exaggerate much to make sure your opinion is validated? And the whole "bane is lovesick" or "friendzoned" was funny for the first 200 times it may have been a joke now it's rather lame. Especially when even a 5 year old can figure out its platonic love and he was acting as her protector.

Why don't you just say it's me since you pretty much just repeated everything I posted? :whatever: I suggest that maybe you should read first before getting so damn defensive. Pretending? Why the bad place would I pretend about something? Were you with me when I got out of the theater to know that I was pretending? Please also point out where I said that I share the same thoughts as what I heard because you're saying that I'm doing that to get my opinion validated.

Lol relax.. I'm
Not defensive at all. I was simply echoing Tanneraines observation. And yes, I do find some of it childish when it's mind numbingly repeated on robot like ways. No, I wasn't singling you out, you just happened to post all those things on this page, that I've seen about 3 dozen other times in other threads. And if your audience REALLY was immediately after the film talkin about what a lovesick puppy bane is, I'd reckon that's certainly the exception, not the rule.Forgive me for doubting you on that, just to me seemed like the "in" thing to say.

I'm for the Elektra King/Renard example. I think Bane is the overall strategist and tactician, but the goal may have had more input from Talia, particularly the slow knife aspect of it. I think Talia was enraged at her father's death, so when Bane prepares to fulfill Ra's Al Ghul's destiny with his own more extremist approach, Talia argues for a bit more of a focus on making Bruce suffer. Still think most of Bane's men see them acting as one most of the time.

Bane. He's working with Talia for the same goal. There is a line of Bane's in the screenplay that was cut from the movie that goes along the lines of "Ra's al Ghul saves me from the pit. That is why I have to fulfill his destiny." He and Talia are partners. If you are saying that Bane is not the main villain of the movie then by that logic you are also saying that Hush is not the main villain of Batman: Hush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"