Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Who is Vanchat?

Whiskey Tango

Avenger
Reaction score
wvVzfGn.png

So I thought maybe this was just a throwaway name after the pilot but now with an even bigger mention in #4 it appears that this mysterious individual might become an important player as the show progresses. Thus this thread.

Things we know

1) Ward stole a 'Chitauri neural link' from him in Paris. Whether the apartment was owned by Vanchat himself, or one of his associates is unclear. We do know he planned to sell it, as mentioned by Maria Hill.

2) Akela Amador was captured during a raid on one of Vanchat's gulags and held prisoner for four years in a copper mine in Shanxi Province, China, where during her captivity she lost her eye.

Questions & Speculation

So he seems to be some kind of international criminal, clearly wealthy. Possibly a weapons dealer or at least a purveyor of esoteric artifacts and technology?

Amador's bionic eye was installed during or after her captivity in the copper mine. Whether this was Vanchat's doing or someone elses is unclear, although they made a point of keeping the identity of her 'handlers' unknown so they are likely a separate entity.

I think it's clear that Vanchat is a major player in the trafficking of weird or advanced tech in the world, and that he (or she? I don't believe they've referenced a gender) is likely responsible for installing Amador's eye and selling her to whomever was responsible for the diamond robberies. Vanchat has obviously come into conflict with Shield multiple times but just how much information they have on him currently is unknown.

Vanchat may or may not eventually be shown to have ties with an entity like Hydra, or AIM. or the Rising Tide? Nothing but guesswork and wishful thinking right now but fun to think about.

Thoughts? I have to rewatch the last ep still, I may have missed or gotten something wrong. And it may turn out to be irrelevant anyway.

Vanchat is a major player in the trafficking of weird or advanced tech in the world
funny coincidence, father of AOS writer Maurissa Tancharoen - Tommy Tanchaoren - according to IMDB has a nickname "Vanchat" and works on the show as transportation coordinator.

Back on topic, some crazy suggestion.
Vanchat -> van-chat -> Van Chat -> Chat Van

500px-GMC.png

Skye created Skyenet some kind of AI (in her van) that went out of control, brainwashed Skye, created her new identity, organized The Rising Tide and now uses SHIELD data to gather all sources of superpowers... and eventually create Ultron.

Yeah, Vanchat is Maurissa's dad. It's a writer's in-joke.

Yeah, Vanchat is Maurissa's dad. It's a writer's in-joke.

I know, that was brought up way back in the pilot thread. But I'm talking about the actual character and whether or not he or she will be important.

Back on topic, some crazy suggestion.
Vanchat -> van-chat -> Van Chat -> Chat Van

!!!

Skye created Skyenet some kind of AI (in her van) that went out of control, brainwashed Skye, created her new identity, organized The Rising Tide and now uses SHIELD data to gather all sources of superpowers... and eventually create Ultron.

I like the cut of your jib.

Turns out that "writer's in-joke" is going to be making an appearance after all.:o

Returning to the series for the first time since the pilot is fan favorite Ron Glass who plays S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Doctor, Streiten. Also returning are Saffron Burrows (Agent Victoria Hand), Ruth Negga (Raina) and Cullen Douglas (Edison Po). The episode also includes the first appearance of the mysterious Vanchat who will be played by Aiden Turner.

http://shieldtv.net/spoiler-casting-images-season-1-episode-11

Last edited:
Aiden Turner could prove a very nice addition to the cast. :cwink:

If my theory that Ward's brother Maynard has gone over to the dark side turns out to be true, Turner wouldn't be a bad choice to play him. When he was on All My Children he was such a bad actor that he couldn't fake a US accent, though.

dwts_aiden.jpg

aiden-turner-shirtless.jpg

More eye candy for Xeno :D

Yes. Maybe Vanchat and Ward can have a vicious fight during which they rip each other's shirts off and are doused by a leaky water pipe which causes their pants to get tighter while Simmons takes their measurements with one of Fitz's doohickeys. Fun for the whole family. :word:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"