Who played James Bond the best?

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by The Hurricane, Mar 10, 2006.

?

Who was the better James Bond?

1. Sean Connery

2. Pierce Brosnan

3. Roger Moore

4. George Lazenby

5. Timothy Dalton

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. pointman Registered

2. @JeanGrey Registered

Your post = my thoughts!

3. ChrisBaleBatman Legendary Hero

That's pretty much what I expected.

I think overally, as a whole....that is basically the feeling. Connery 1st, Brosnan 2nd, Moore 3rd, Dalton 4th and Lazenby 5th.

Should be interesting to see in the coming years where Craig fits into that list. It'll take time though.

4. Bruce_Wayne29 Registered

Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan.

5. Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

No-one has said 'Pierce Bronson' yet.

Seems my threat has the required effect.

6. st barbara Registered

My favorite Bonds (in order) Connery, Dalton, Brosnan, Lazenby, Moore.

7. Sakuraba Seer of Visions

I liked Timothy Dalton the best.

8. The Batman The Dark Knight

1. Tie: Connery and Moore. These guys define Movie 007. Period. When people think of the iconic James Bond, the characteristics either come from moore or connery. Connery was a man's man, and his films were the ultimate male fantasy: Fighting dangerous organizations, driving nice cars, and making love to the most voluptuous women all while keeping your cool. Moore was the funniest bond, turning even crappy lines into gold.

2. Daniel Craig: I think his performance in CR was excellent, and he'll bring 007 back to its roots and plant it into todays role. He's succeded where dalton didnt: Bringing charisma to the role while taking it seriously. He's the toughest of the bonds, IMO, and really the only one i can see functioning as a secret agent in the real world.

3. Pierce Brosnan: Made James Bond popular again, and combined the personality of Moore and Connery. His Bond really did start the movement to a more human bond thats lead to CR. Sadly, his movies were kinda lacking, save for Goldeneye. He'll definetly be listed alongside moore and connery as the most definitive Bonds.

4. Timothy Dalton: While i applaud him for taking the character back to the books, he really did take the role a bit too seriously. The Living Daylights is a good film, however. And the whole Aids scare really hampered the whole "love interest" side of bond, making him much more of a gentleman type and less of the womanizer we all know. He really shouldve had a little more fun with the role.

5. George Lazenby: His Bond does nothing for me. When I watch OHMSS all I think about is how fantastic Connery wouldve been in the movie.

9. Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

The thing about Dalton is, he so easily could have played Bond as the charming, ultra-suave womanizer had he wanted to. Watch, for instance, Rocketeer, especially the parts where he plays the Masked Bandit.

10. Movies205 Corporate Money

I've seen 15 of the 21 official bond films, all relatively recently since I started really watching them last year so my opinion on this is relatively valid, I have not seen On Her Majesty Service yet, when that sets come set comes out in 2 weeks, I will have... I also have been watching a ton of Bond films since the 2 sets have come out, you know what I've learned... There is no "DEFINATE" bond... Just like there is no "definate" Batman or so many other characters that have had many different incarnations.

As someone who wishes to become a writer, it's amazing to see so many different takes on a character, acting is such a wonderful art I must say and you don't truely see that till you see different people take on the same role. I love what all the various people who've played Bond did with the character.

Sean Connery- A stern, yet light-hearted womanizer who got the job done, no matter the cost. His good films, Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, and Thunderball. Were serious but had a light tone to them, where things got wacky but was fun.

Roger Moore- A wise and experience field agent, playing it tongue in cheek, keeping the series fun and more family orientented, presents us with more outlandish adventures rather than the serious espionage work of Connery.

Timothy Dalton- Takes Bond back to his roots by making his more serious, no long tongue in cheek, and adds dept to the character. While still keeping over-the-top villians, his films though have a more serious tone in terms of adventure and are more low-key.

Pierce Brosnan- Amalgram of Moore and Connery, with a little more swuave debonair thrown in. He takes the seriousness of Connery and the tongue-in-cheek of Moore and infuses them to takes us on out worldly adventures that still touch base in reality(minus Die Another Day).

See my point, there all good and different. Each producing a master-piece in terms of Bond for every era...

Connery's Best: From Russia with Love and Goldfinger
    Good: Dr. No
    Mediocre: Thunderball and Live and Let Die (Didn't see yet)
    Bad: Diamonds are Forever (I didn't see this , but I'm assuming, DaF is next to be watcheD)

Moore's Best: For Your Eyes Only(haven't seen, but heard), The Spy Who Loved Me, and Live and Let Die(Heard but haven't seen)
    Good: The Man with the Golden Gun
    Mediocre: A View to a Kill
    Bad: Moonraker (Haven't seen but heard)
    ---No Clue: Octopussy

Dalton's Best: Living Daylights and Licence to Kill

Pierce Brosnan's Best: Goldeneye and Tommorrow Never Dies
    Good: World is Not Enough
    Mediocre/Bad: Die Another Day(The last part is god-awful but there some memorable things about it)

See my point, they have good films and bad films... With that said, I haven't seen an unwatchable Bond film yet so I'm glad to own the sets...

11. Fried Gold Registered

LOL

12. Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Damn straight. Although when I see Dalton as Neville Sinclair in the Rocketeer, all I see is the perfect Tony Stark, circa '91.

13. the gael Registered

from the six bonds, Connery was the best... Just so perfect for the role. He was fleming's bond ( minus the scar )

14. Apollo Registered

Pierce Brosnan, hes the greatest, i wish he'd return for at least one more

15. SurfDUI Registered

It's straight that Dalton gets his due here-his Bond movies were off the chain, and he did think he was Clark Gable.:woot: I LOVE Lic. to Kill. Good twist to Bond.

Connery is everybody's sentimental favorite and he should- but Roger Moore just blew. Maybe it's cause he did '70s Bond, but he didn't even keep actin after those movies did he? Go ahead!! I Dare you watch Moonraker w/ a straight face.

I just kind of dismissed 'Remmington Steele' cause he's made a palpable carrear out of pretending to be James Bond...in everthing he did...Famke and the tank scene was great in Goldeneye though.

16. SurfDUI Registered

George Lazenby-you know your Bond:woot:

17. Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

The first Marvel Legends Iron Man figure, with the mask off, looks suspiciously like Timothy Dalton.

18. Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

Okay.

I saw an incredible pre-credit sequence, an ultra-smooth and confident Roger Moore, a smart Bond girl for once in Holly Goodhead, classic villain in Drax, superb special effects, a sinister sequence where a woman is killed by hunting dogs, numerous great action scenes, Jaws, and a classic Shirley Bassey theme tune.

19. mister Lennon Registered

You forget that stupid girl with glasses tryng to be Jaws love interest.

20. Fried Gold Registered

Did you see the bit with Bond in space firing lasers?

21. mister Lennon Registered

Moonraker is so bad and campy as diamonds are forever or die another day. The three films have their good points, sure, but overall they are probably the three worst bond movies ever.

22. mister Lennon Registered

Well, a view to a kill and octopussy are close to that title.

23. The Batman The Dark Knight

Kevin, it must be tough dealing with the opinions of fanboys who got their opinions from other fanboys.

Seriously...typical stock answers for hating moonraker

24. SurfDUI Registered

...Moonfaker

25. Mr Jide Registered

Connery is in a league of his own and will never be topped.