Who played James Bond the best?

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by The Hurricane, Mar 10, 2006.

?

Who was the better James Bond?

1. Sean Connery

2. Pierce Brosnan

3. Roger Moore

4. George Lazenby

5. Timothy Dalton

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Batman Beyond A creature of the night

1. Sean Connery
    2. Pierce Brosnan--Timothy Dalton
    4. George Lazenby
    5. Roger Moore

Connery is the undeniable classic. His Bond is like Sellers' Clouseau - the prototype golden performance. No one else shall play him like Connery - even if wannabe Craig tries hard for it.

Brosnan and Dalton, for my account, played the same Bond, in that he's the Fleming Bond. I really feel they both were closer to Fleming's original conception of the character than the others. Brosnan, always excellent as Bond (NO bad performance in any of the four Bonds he did) injected some humor and class in his performance, which is understandable of course. Dalton was really excellent in LTK, but got unlucky and left afterwards. To end, these two swap places in my top 5. Sometimes Brosnan is second, sometimes Dalton is second. They were both equally wonderful Bonds. Truly remarkable!

Lazenby, I always felt, was far better a Bond than Moore. Mostly because, even if right out copying Connery's style of Bond acting, he still tried to be Ian Fleming's Bond. Of course, a large attribute to that has got to go to Peter Hunt, who already had a mamooth production with OHMSS, to care and get a magnificent performance out of Lazenby. I really though he was great - like a rough diamond, that is, that sort of sense. He was quite good, and I would've loved to have seen him stay. Its a shame he left.

Moore is one wonderful guy, but neither his portrayal nor many of his films are my favorites really. Aside from classics like TSWLM and FYEO, the others are a measure and measure game. Anyway, he was a good Bond, I guess...

Thats my list, folks!

2. gamemiester Registered

3. GREEN =w= DAY Registered

hands down, Connery was the best Bond. in close second, Timothy Dalton. Dalton was a bad ass!

4. Rizor Registered

Connery. Lazenby was more of an emulation of Connery's Bond even though I liked him in OHMSS. And Moore and Dalton each seem to be playing one of the two sides of Connery's coin. Moore's the wit and womanizer. Dalton's the dark edge. Brosnan did a good job at trying to balance these two sides and kinda made Bond his own for his performances, but he just didn't do it as well as Connery. Really, Connery gets points just for being Connery. He created the on screen persona of Bond and will forever be associated with 007. He's got everything you want from the character. Sean Connery is simply the definitive Bond.

5. George Lazenby Registered

1) Connery - "Now hear this Goldfinger, your luck has just changed."
    2) Craig
    3) Moore - "Balls Q?" "Bolos 007." I love that exchange.
    4) Lazenby
    5) Brosnan
    6) Dalton

6. pointman Registered

well said.

7. Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

I love all of them, I think they well all fantastic in different ways. My least favourite is Lazenby, but he hardly had a chance to establish his performance. Likewise with Dalton, he only had two attempts. The first was just getting to know the role (and a script written for Moore), and the second was too grim. I feel in Dalton found his range on the first two and his third would have been pitch perfect.

8. Why isn't Craig included in this poll?

9. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

When the thread was made....Craig's film hadn't been released...so no one knew how he had portrayed Bond yet.

10. Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

Plus....you can only really judge how good an actor was as Bond when he's finished playing the part. You can then judge his entire contribution.

All of the actors who have played Bond (more than once) evolved in the role. Connery in Dr No is just feeling out the role. Connery in Goldfinger has the role down perfectly, effortlessly. Again with Moore, in Live and Let Die he's Bond-by-the-numbers, whereas in The Spy Who Loved Me we see Moore's 007 defined.

11. Mr Jide Registered

Personally, I thought Connery had established the embodiment of the character in his 1st outing. When watching Dr.No, its the same performance effortless and on-point performance through out up untill YOLT.

12. Rezzo The Fire Rises

From the ones listed I pick Timothy Dalton

13. Sebastos le professionnel

Sean Connery gets my vote.

14. Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

I disagree, in Dr No he is solid, sure, but with Goldfinger he has that effortless charm and confidence. He really shines in Goldfinger.

15. Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Moore definately was the best..........................

.................Simon Templar

16. The_Vision 4815162342

Sean Connery, no contest...

17. Mr Jide Registered

I think that GF was the first of Connery's performance as Bond that really highlighted his more laid back, playful side coupled with an insane amount of cool. Whereas Dr.No and FRWL were more serious but definately agreed on solid performances in all.

N/B one of my favourite Connery/Bond scenes is in FRWL when he asks this Russian guy at the desk if his clock is correct...the second time he asks and the bomb goes off, the expression on Connery's face is pure gold.

18. Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

Simply put, no 007 has ever been as charismatic as Connery is in Goldfinger.

19. The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Sean Connery.

20. Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

I grew up in the Roger Moore era, eventhough he may not be the best bond it terms of character (according to Flemings books), he's my most memorable.

P.S. Eventhough TLD is one of the best Bond flicks in the series, i can't believe Dalton is beating Moore in the poll.

21. Sebastos le professionnel

It goes like this:

Connery
    Craig
    And then everyone else. :o

22. gambit_890 Registered

Sean Connery hands down....

It's actaully kind of mind boggleing that people think that anyother actor has the ability to protray 007 as well as Connery...

2. Dalton
    3. Moore / Brosnan