Diseased Maniacs: The Villains Thread with POLL

They absolutely need to give us John Byrne's Man Of Steel Lex Luthor. Sign the actor to multiple DC films and let him be an ongoing part of the mix.

Mxy would be fun as a side villain.

For some reason I could see Gunn taking that role.

If Momoa is gonna be Lobo I really think it should be here and not some solo project, I'd have Luthor be an antagonistic secondary character and maybe have Toyman or Parasite or someone be the villain in a cold open.

If Lobo isn't happening anytime soon? I'd choose Luthor and Parasite

Lobo’s kind of more of a nuisance than an outright villain, isn’t he?

I think he could be an outright villain, if you play up the Bounty Hunter thing, maybe Braniac Or Mongal or just an unnamed person looking to have the last Son Of Krypton sent him to capture Superman but over the course of the film he kinda goes into business for himself and just tries to kill Clark.

Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of Lobo, I know he's always been not all the way evil, but the anti-hero thing doesn't appeal to me

As much as I desperately want to see Brainiac brought to live action for once, I think the best route here is to start smaller with a villain like Parasite or Metallo. Bonus points if Gunn includes Lobo in the mix as a nuisance and Sean Gunn cameoing as Toyman.

Lex Luther should be introduced but as the criminal mastermind pulling the strings. I would have Superman fighting real world issues like saving people from natural disasters and saving Lois when she gets to in over her head. Keep it simple.

Toyman with giant robots
Parasite

Metallo is great, but I could use a rest from Kryptonite.

Lex Luther should be introduced but as the criminal mastermind pulling the strings. I would have Superman fighting real world issues like saving people from natural disasters and saving Lois when she gets to in over her head. Keep it simple.

Personally I don't mind if Lex is in the film, but I absolutely believe he needs to not be the main antagonist of the film. Frankly, if it were up to me, I wouldn't have Lex (General Zod too, for that matter) as the main villain in any of the DCU Superman solo films we get. Superman's Rogues Gallery has been left to the wayside for far, farrrr too long at this point on the big screen due to the over-reliance of Lex and Zod.

I really hope that they have Lex be Superman's ongoing rival who is present and involved in the various threats happening in the solo films, but don't have him be the main villain of a film until we get to a Justice League film where Lex leads the Legion of Doom. Work up the years of history between him and Clark and how Lex just keeps on getting off the hook from facing punishment for his various schemes, so that when Lex finally makes a bigger scaled play, it holds a significantly larger weight of meaning to both Superman and the audience.

Toyman with giant robots
Parasite

Metallo is great, but I could use a rest from Kryptonite.

Yeah, that's also very true. It'd be great to see a Superman film where kryptonite just flat-out isn't involved in any way for once.

I also like the idea of the villain being either Toyman or Parasite, the more I think about it. For example, if Gunn takes inspiration from the DCAU version of Toyman (Winslow Schott Jr) in particular, he could make for a really compelling and emotional story where Clark needs to save the day by not only outsmarting Toyman's creations, but also using his empathy and compassion for others to get through to a troubled man who grew up abandoned and in destitution by events outside of his control.

Heck, Gunn could easily do something similar with Parasite by taking a page out of the version we saw in the recent Man of Tomorrow animated film too.

Lex, but with a secondary villain also, Brainiac.
And I'm talking the animated superman and JL Lex.
No goofy real estate Lex that Hackman and spacey brought, and no ADHD Lex like JE.
A serious, hard-core, in top physical shape, evil but extremely brilliant, Lex.

Personally I don't mind if Lex is in the film, but I absolutely believe he needs to not be the main antagonist of the film. Frankly, if it were up to me, I wouldn't have Lex (General Zod too, for that matter) as the main villain in any of the DCU Superman solo films we get. Superman's Rogues Gallery has been left to the wayside for far, farrrr too long at this point on the big screen due to the over-reliance of Lex and Zod.

I really hope that they have Lex be Superman's ongoing rival who is present and involved in the various threats happening in the solo films, but don't have him be the main villain of a film until we get to a Justice League film where Lex leads the Legion of Doom. Work up the years of history between him and Clark and how Lex just keeps on getting off the hook from facing punishment for his various schemes, so that when Lex finally makes a bigger scaled play, it holds a significantly larger weight of meaning to both Superman and the audience.

Yeah, that's also very true. It'd be great to see a Superman film where kryptonite just flat-out isn't involved in any way for once.

I also like the idea of the villain being either Toyman or Parasite, the more I think about it. For example, if Gunn takes inspiration from the DCAU version of Toyman (Winslow Schott Jr) in particular, he could make for a really compelling and emotional story where Clark needs to save the day by not only outsmarting Toyman's creations, but also using his empathy and compassion for others to get through to a troubled man who grew up abandoned and in destitution by events outside of his control.

Heck, Gunn could easily do something similar with Parasite by taking a page out of the version we saw in the recent Man of Tomorrow animated film too.
Yeah, I agree about Lex, next to Joker, is the best and most complex DC villain. I think this movie needs to show the beginning relationships between Lex, Clark, Superman, and Lois. It is essentially they get the chemistry right between them. I think the movie budget will be low for the first outing so the villains will be grounded. I think Morgan Edge would be a perfect 1st villain and introduce intergang.

Hm, hard to say.
I would say Metallo with Lex in a small role that in the end is revealed to be the mastermind behind it.

Thing is that i think just like with Batman and Joker, Superman needs to build up to have more than Lex Luthor as Villain.
But for a lot of these characters, i think it would be too early...we need first a movie that does some world building etc to sell later.
Like Brainiac for example.

But you gotta have Lex in some role there to build up to that.
So i think finding a way to make Metallo the main Antagonist while having Lex in a smaller role, could be the way to go.

Yeah, I agree about Lex, next to Joker, is the best and most complex DC villain. I think this movie needs to show the beginning relationships between Lex, Clark, Superman, and Lois. It is essentially they get the chemistry right between them. I think the movie budget will be low for the first outing so the villains will be grounded. I think Morgan Edge would be a perfect 1st villain and introduce intergang.
For me, I'd love a Lex origin film.

It should/could be a relative low budget film.
It would cost around 70 to 80 million.
Story driven, with little FX.

My Lex? Matthew McConaughey.

Set Lex up for all future films.
Show us why Lex is "Lex".
Was it his childhood that caused him to go bad? Perhaps.
Maybe he had an abusive father that pushed him, or....
maybe he had good parents, but Lex just turned bad all on his own.

Show him being even more intelligent than his teachers in elementary school, correcting them and even writing out complicated formulas they don't understand. His arrogance would already be showing.

Show him graduating HS at 12.
Getting multiple PHDs by 16.
Making his first billion by 19.

He develops a Germ phobia at an early age, so he is constantly shaving all his body hair, including his facial and scalp hair, and he wears gloves.

He Forms Lex-corp by 23.
He Becomes the wealthiest person on the planet by 24.
He buys up properties in Europe and Africa to get the mineral rights, and he has those who refuse to leave their town or villages, "disappeared".

He would have rock star status while out in public. He wears movie stars, models, and singers on his arms like most do jewelry.

The Ladies and men both love him, but he has no time, nor desire to have any close relationships.
He hires mercy as his personal assistant and bodyguard.
She shadows him everywhere he goes and keeps away the admirers that stray to close.

She is a trained assassin and an expert in all weapons, and is also an expert in hand to hand combat. She never talks.

Lex would be on all the major magazine covers and make all the talk show rounds.
He soon grows bored with it all as he secretly hates people, but they are a means to an end so he continues the act, putting on a likable facade while doing so.

He would have Tony Stark level of intelligence, but without the quirkiness or humor.

He has an observatory that nasa would kill for.
He was using it one night when he witnessed a supernova a few light years away. It creates a mini black hole and a warp in space. Fascinating he muses.
He does quick calculations. Any debris from that solar system will be here soon, because of the blackhole and warped space he concludes.

A few years pass.

He becomes obsessed with future tech, especially the possibility of alien life and technology.
The debris from the supernova has reached Earth, and he has spent a fortune collecting all he can.
He would have a huge vault/secret room filled with bits and pieces of crashed alien craft and alien tech on display behind protective glass, and an odd assortment of different meteorites, some green in color.
He reverse engineers some of the damaged tech and creates new technologies.

A couple of years pass.

Thanks to his reverse engineering, Lex has created dozens and dozens of inventions and cures in his lab, a lab any university would be green with envy over.
As easily as we tie our shoes, he comes up with ideas and creates them.
An Engine the creates unlimited energy from water, a cure for cancer, Crops that grow many times their original size, a cure for the common cold, etc etc

He hides it all away and locks it up. He saves them for a rainy day.
He created and invented them all out of boredom more than anything else, just to see if he could.
He thinks he has no real challenges left, so he soon grows weary.

So he creates a boom in highrise construction in "his" city of Metropolis, creating competition among billionaires in building the biggest, tallest, and most outlandish looking skyscrapers on the planet. It's all fun to him.

A few years pass.
Lex looks out over Metropolis from Lex-corp.

Metropolis has now became a very futuristic looking city, with skywalks and monorails connecting different buildings. Some of the buildings reach over 2,500' in height.
It's all thanks to him, but even that doesn't satisfy him for long.
Boredom creeps back in, so he releases some of his inventions to market.
His wealth almost instantly quadruples.....

A few more years pass.

Lex is now 49.
He has recoiled from public life. He is now utterly bored with normal life.
He spends his days and nights locked in Lex-corp, micromanaging everything, every little detail of his empire.
He is now worth close to a trillion.

He has neglected his appearance.
He has slight beard, with some hair growing on his head.
His clothes are in a disheveled mess, and he smells.
( think Howard Hughes )
Mercy, ever at his side, crinkles her nose at the smell.
Lex notices her reaction.
Apologies, he quips.

It's at this time that Superman makes his first big public appearance. Its at the very end of the film,
( he saves a huge ship )
and soon everything will change.

( BREAKING NEWS )
Lois Lane reporting....

Lex looks up from what he's doing and watches the breaking news.
A flying man in blue and red has saved a huge ship from sinking.
Lois gives a play by play of the action.

He leans forward to watch the scene closer.
His eyes grow wide with excitement.

Lex pulls out some paper and a pen.
He is talking really fast to himself now.

( must be an alien, less gravity here, superstrength, ability to fly, wonders if invulnerable, yes, he must be, due to a denser molecular structure, superspeed? Probably, yes)

He does quick calculations on paper.
Using his photographic memory, he recalls the details of the supernova he witnessed.

He draws some diagrams and writes out some complicated math formulas.
He calculates.
Eureka he concludes. This being is an "alien", and "it" comes from the same solar system where he witnessed the supernova 26 years ago.
Extraordinary he muses.

He welcomes this.....this.....super-man's arrival.

Finally, a worthy adversary he muses.
Oh, The possibilities, he shouts.

He excitedly exits the room, and returns a few minutes later, wearing a new business suit.
He is now clean shaven and bald again.

Lex looks at mercy, well?

She nods.

She stands by his side as Lex looks out over Metropolis from his movie screen sized window.

Lightning flashes off in the distance.

And For the First time in years, Lex smiles.

Last edited:
For me, I'd love an Lex origin film.
It would be a relative low budget film. Prolly 70 to 80 million. Story driven, with little FX.

Set Lex up.
Show us why Lex is the way he is.
Was it his childhood? Maybe.

Show him being even more intelligent than his teachers in elementary school. Correcting them and even writing out complicated formulas they don't understand.

He Forms Lex-corp by 23. And Becomes the wealthiest person on the planet by 27.

He would Pretty much have rock star status out in public.

The Ladies and men both love him, but he has no time, nor desire to have any close relationships.
He hires mercy as his personal assistant and bodyguard. She shadows him everywhere he goes

He would be on all the major magazine covers and make all the talk show rounds.

He secretly hates people. But they are a means to an end.

He would have a Tony Stark level of intelligence, but without the quirkiness or humor.

He would be obsessed with future tech, especially the possibility of alien life and technology.
He would have a huge vault/secret room with bits and pieces of crashed alien craft on display behind protective glass, and an assortment of different meteorites, some green in color.

Years pass.

Lex has created dozens and dozens of inventions.
An Engine the creates unlimited energy from water, a cure for cancer, Crops that grow many times their original size, etc etc

He hides it all away and locks it up. Saves them for later.
He did it out of boredom more than anything, just to see if he could.
He has no challenges left. He soon grows weary.

So he creates a boom in highrise construction, creating competition among billionaires in building the biggest, tallest, and most outlandish looking skyscrapers on the planet.

Metropolis has now became a very futuristic looking city thanks to Lex, but even that doesn't satisfy him for long.

A few more years pass.

Superman makes his first big save at the very end, and everything will soon change.
Lex welcomes his arrival.
Finally, a worthy adversary.
Bingo!! I was hoping that Todd Phillips was going to do a Lex Luther movie similar to Joker. Maybe a Lex on the autism spectrum that make Mr. Luther self centered, highly intelligent and a loner. Would have been interested in seeing that guy go through the worlds of science and Industry while tackling his relationship with his father similar to Arthur and his mom.

That's the Lex I want.
No goofy lex like Hackman or spacey and no Lex like JE.
This Lex would be very self obsessed and in peak human condition. He would work out for hours a day.

While obviously the primary antagonist should be someone we haven't seen on screen yet - Gunn has a fondness for alien or monstrous antagonists so he would do great with Brainiac or Parasite - I am more hyped for Lex than anyone because while he has been in almost every Superman movie it also feels like he's never been in a Superman movie?

Hackman's Luthor is awesome and He Who I Feel Uncomfortable Praising's interpretation of that version in Superman Returns is really interesting to me but they're obviously drawing from pre-Crisis Lex. There's bits of your classic post-crisis Lex in BvS but it's drown out by a deeply embarrassing performance and some of the worst written dialogue I've ever heard.

I think Lex should also be the creator, or the cause, of most of supermans rogues gallery.
Metallo, parasite, bizarro, Amazo, etc are all failed attempts by Lex to defeat superman.

And even Brainiac could be blamed on Lex.
Lex contacts him to tell him a kryptonian is on Earth.
Otherwise, he probably would have never known.

How would you guys feel about a black actor playing Lex? I feel like John David Washington could bring out Lex's smugness and intensity.

For me, I'd love a Lex origin film.
It should be a relative low budget film. Prolly 70 to 80 million. Story driven, with little FX.

Set Lex up.
Show us why Lex is the way he is.
Was it his childhood? Perhaps.
Maybe he had an abusive father that pushed him, or, maybe he had good parents but Lex just turned bad all on his own.

Show him being even more intelligent than his teachers in elementary school. Correcting them and even writing out complicated formulas they don't understand.

He Forms Lex-corp by 23. And Becomes the wealthiest person on the planet by 27.

He would Pretty much have rock star status out in public.

He hires mercy as his personal assistant and bodyguard. She shadows him everywhere he goes

He would be on all the major magazine covers and make all the talk show rounds.

He secretly hates people. But they are a means to an end.

He would have a Tony Stark level of intelligence, but without the quirkiness or humor.

He would be obsessed with future tech, especially the possibility of alien life and technology.
He would have a huge vault/secret room with bits and pieces of crashed alien craft on display behind protective glass, and an assortment of different meteorites, some green in color.

A few years pass.

Lex has created dozens and dozens of inventions.
An Engine the creates unlimited energy from water, a cure for cancer, Crops that grow many times their original size, etc etc

He hides it all away and locks it up and saves them for later.
He did it out of boredom more than anything, just to see if he could.
He has no challenges left. He soon grows weary.

So he creates a boom in highrise construction, creating competition among billionaires in building the biggest, tallest, and most outlandish looking skyscrapers on the planet.

He looks out over Metropolis from Lex-corp.
It has now became a very futuristic looking city, with skywalks and monorails connecting different buildings.
It's all thanks to him, but even that doesn't satisfy him for long.

A couple more years pass.

Superman makes his first big save at the very end, and everything will soon change.
Lex welcomes his arrival.
Finally, a worthy adversary.

This would be a film worth watching.

How would you guys feel about a black actor playing Lex? I feel like John David Washington could bring out Lex's smugness and intensity.

This would be a film worth watching.
Eldris Elba for me. I'd have no problem with it.

Brainiac would be my choice, but I would be okay with saving him as the “big bad” and have Metallo as the main villain in the first film with Lex behind the scenes pulling some strings.

Metallo made a cameo in that new Netflix show, The Recruit, hahahaha. (Not really, but it was an incredible likeness).

That's why I'd really want a solo Lex origin film first.

We would know why Lex is "Lex" by the time of the superman film, and we could jump right into another villain, with Lex in the background, but him still having a strong presence.

Metallo could be a very interesting villain for a Superman movie because its a very science fiction concept. A man gets his consciousness uploaded to a robot body. Instead of putting on an Iron Man suit, he is LITERALLY the Iron Man suit. It deals with the subject of trans-humanism and the thin line between man and machine.

Maybe take a page out of STAS and have Luthor infect John Corbin with a virus so he would need this in order to save his life, with the idea that he would kill Superman for him. The kryptonite would be an "arc reactor" like power source for the robot body. And the ending should be that when Corbin is defeated at the end, Lex just rips the kryptonite out of the body, basically killing Corbin.

I’d keep the first film focused on Clark’s life as much as possible, so maybe minimal villain stuff, just something simple that furthers Clark’s character arc, like Parasite, Rudy Jones, a janitor and criminal who became Parasite while trying to rob LexCorp. Have Rudy paralleled with Clark feeling so behind in life as a struggling reporter, constantly tempted to take the easy way out as well (taking advantage of his Superman powers to get ahead). In the end, Clark connects with the desperate and hopeless Rudy, walking him off the metaphorical ledge (maybe sharing his identity, his story, etc), only for Lex to show up in his super suit, blowing up Parasite, saving the day. Turns out Lex engineered this all to kickstart the announcement of his presidential campaign. Lois and Clark know the truth but can’t prove it yet.

The sequel can deal with President Lex, Metallo, and Brainiac, exploring themes of tech giants’ power in government, ending with the exposed and disgraced president commandeering the defeated Brainiac’s ship and taking to the stars to continue his work. Supes leaves Earth to find Lex and rescue the stolen worlds in Brainiacs ship.

Threequel starts cosmic on War World. Meanwhile back on Earth we have several Death of Superman inspired replacement Supermen, until the real Superman shows up in the end, mullet and all, teaming up with Lex to defeat Cyborg Superman.

Last edited:
I think a bunch of black actors could play Lex well. Also would be up for JDW in a CBM sometime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"