Who should challenge Trump in 2020?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Silvermoth, Nov 22, 2016.

?

Who should challenge in 2020?

1. Bernie Sanders

2. Hillary Clinton (again)

3. Elizabeth Warren

4. Cory Booker

5. Sherrod Brown

6. Kirsten Gillibrand

7. Julian Castro

8. Kamala Harris

9. Oprah Winfrey

10. Keith Ellison

11. Michelle Obama

12. Tom Hanks

13. Kanye

14. Joe Biden

15. Andrew Cuomo

16. Someone else

17. Bernie Sanders

18. Hillary Clinton (again)

19. Elizabeth Warren

20. Cory Booker

21. Sherrod Brown

22. Kirsten Gillibrand

23. Julian Castro

24. Kamala Harris

25. Oprah Winfrey

26. Keith Ellison

27. Michelle Obama

28. Tom Hanks

29. Kanye

30. Joe Biden

31. Andrew Cuomo

32. Someone else

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DlAMONDZ

DlAMONDZ Well-Known Member

Yup. Trump is making politicians out to look like devils who can't be trusted

Which is why the best course of action is getting a well liked celebrity. Some of you might not like it but this is the future. It'll cement itself even further after Kid Rock wins a senate seat by 30+ points

2. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

I don't know, there's a pretty good chance people will be sick of the showboating pretty soon. I think if people were voting between him and tom hanks or whatever people would end up just feeling cheap

3. Matt

Matt IKYN Guy Groupie

That is silly, melodramatic, and reactionary.

4. DeadPresident

DeadPresident Well-Known Member

By this logic if the standard of healthcare, education, or infrastructure alarmingly plummets your advice would be "Best course of action is just learning to enjoy cancer", "Best course of action is just to let uneducated morons do important jobs", "Best course of action is to just walk places since the roads are unusable".

Stop being lazy and expect acceptable standards to be upheld despite what irresponsible and incompetent politicians are doing.

5. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

Lolz

6. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

I wonder if people are getting sick of the drama though. He's obsessed with ratings and being talked about. Maybe people in 2020 will just want someone who gets the job done

7. The Overlord

The Overlord Well-Known Member

Except didn't Trump blame Hillary Clinton's third way neo liberal policies for the hollowing out of the American middle class and win on that? If another Dem candidate adopts the same policies, how would that person fair better?

8. Fading

Fading ---

People still act like Trump won by a landslide, and that a miracle is needed to beat him. Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million, and only won the electoral college by 80,000 votes.

This was against unpopular candidate that republicans had attacked for over a decade. A female candidate, while some voters are still sexist. Also during a time after Obama. I may have liked the Obama presidency, but republicans hated it. You'd think Obamacare was the second holocaust.

I'm not going to say beating Trump will be easy. It's just not impossible either. People are wary of Trump. Republicans are seeing him attack the party, and not keep campaign promises. That lowers enthusiasm. Democrats are riled up to get him out. He's in the low 30's on approval.

Just put in a competent candidate that doesn't polarize the country. Has no major scandals, and doesn't let Trump walk all over them. Surely there's at least 1 candidate that can do 80,000 votes better than Hillary.

9. Ouch

Ouch Well-Known Member

I think that if Trump is going to be beaten, it'll be by a real politician because people will figure after what a disaster he has been, you need an actual professional.

And last I heard about Kid Rock, he was a million miles behind in the polls.

10. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

I guess the thing is trump operated on anti status quo sentiment but next time he runs he will be seen as very much establishment. Not a guarantee that will be enough to dethrone him because he will probably change tactics but we will see

11. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

Zuckerberg is still doing the most, trying to get people interested in his presidency bid without actually announcing it. He pretty cleverly capitalised on trump's inaction on Puerto Rico.

It's interesting that it might be a run off between zuck and Sanders. I wonder what a Jewish president will be like? Although we're not meant to play identity politics anymore

12. Hypestyle

Hypestyle Well-Known Member

mr zuckerberg and his likeminded peers need to put money into voter registration campaigns and ending voter-restriction laws like the ID laws that still exist and felony-status restrictions that still exist. There's a hell of a lot of people who are blocked from voting who could and there seems to be minimal support from the nationwide DNC apparatus to correct this.

13. Hypestyle

Hypestyle Well-Known Member

how melodramatic was a Trump candidacy by 2015?

People underestimate the lure of celebrity, "left" and "right" wing alike.

In the case of Bob Ritchie, it is increasingly likely-- though not impossible-- that he would not run for Senate in Michigan. Clearly there's a lot of money in doing several-day concert stints at the recently inaugurated Little Caesars' Arena in Detroit (built with 35+% public money from the city). That, and the fact that he'd be expected to wear a suit to work, that would work against his traditional optics of portraying himself as an unrepentant good-ole-boy hellraiser.

He's been churning out rubesploitation rock for well over 15 years now after initially going with hard-rap-rock for the first 10 years of his career.

A big part of his fanbase are the exurban, outer-suburban white people who sympathize with Tea Party culture, and who consider "anti-political correctness" to only involve anything that supports far-right conservative social outlooks.

Kid Rock likes to take photos with 'blue collar' workers like factory workers, electricians, construction workers, but he openly supports candidates like Trump, Romney, who support "Right to Work" state laws that dilute organized labor.

he's very emblematic of the "Reagan Democrat" movement, reflecting the working-to-middle-class whites (who were frequently organized-labor affiliated in their careers) of the 1980s who signed on to GOP culture in part due to reactions to the advances of the civil rights movement which in their worldview had 'gone too far', "economic uncertainty" by the Carter era and hard-right jingoistic takes on foreign policy as the Cold War was still lingering.

Making statements at a recent concert in Nashville, Rock opined that everyone in the crowd would have turned the Las Vegas killer "into hamburger", though I'm curious, even if everyone at the concert had a pistol (and presumably, a CPL), just what the hell they were going to do against a sniper perched 32 stories up, and at first no one knew where the hell this was even coming from?

He has no nuanced take on policy beyond random conservative-culture bullet points, but that was good enough for 45. If Ritchie aligns himself with well-heeled campaign advisors, he could probably "fake it" long enough to last through a primary, at least.

Michigan is also poised to likely elect a Tea-Party friendly governor in its current attorney general Bill Schuette, next year. He's arguably wasted a lot of money on frivolous initiatives (e.g., millions spent in anti-gay-marriage lawsuits) but none of his positions really offend his base at all.

14. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

This made some interesting reading last night

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2020

Looks like Warren is the most popular candidate if you want a winner. Not sure who her VP would be. Can't see someone like Zuckerberg agreeing to be second best. His ego wouldn't allow it.

Harris would be interesting but maybe would struggle to connect with non democrat voters. Richard Blumenthal would be interesting

15. MaceB

MaceB Well-Known Member

I really hope folks don't choose Warren. She's wicked smart, but she buys into all the stereotypes about arrogant, educated, elite liberals... the right won't go for her IMO, and we risk a 2nd term of President Trump.
    I'm rooting for Franken. He doesn't really want the job... which is actually a plus. He's hardworking. He's smart. And most importantly of all, he's a communicator. His comedic background has given him a lot of control over his timing, and he's an excellent communicator. Not speechwriter... but communicator. I think he could win, and I think he'd be in favor of most progressive policies.

16. chaseter

chaseter Esteemed Member

Trump won’t run in 2020 so he can’t lose. Duhhhhhh

17. chaseter

chaseter Esteemed Member

Right now the top choice is Michelle Obama lolol

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/2020-poll-run-michelle-obama-run/article/2639083

18. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Examiner is trash.

19. NealKenneth

NealKenneth Well-Known Member

While there is definetly still time to find a candidate I am looking this over and there just is not a candidate right now. Not one that could beat Trump at least.

20. chaseter

chaseter Esteemed Member

The Hill and the Post ran a similar story.

Which means the DNC has no idea about 2020 if your base is nominating people that aren’t even viable candidates. Bernie is still on the list.

21. Sithborg

Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

I think the DNC is more concerned about 2018 at the moment.

22. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Right now a ham sandwich could beat Trump. The spell is broken over independents and his base dwindles. Outside of declaring war, and even then, the mask has been pulled back. People act as though he won some kind of landslide victory. As has been pointed out and should always be remembered that's just not so. If as is likely more investigation reveals just how flawed his judgment has been in picking people or if a criminal charge sticks to him or his family then it's over. Even if there is no criminal charge other things will continue to mount. He'll be damaged goods by the next presidential election.

23. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

Michelle Obama is so liberal. I love her but it's all about identity politics and that's such a liberal thing. No one even knows what she would stand for and they support her because everyone wants a feel good moment like when Barack was president.

And I don't blame them one bit but it's always been what's destroyed the democrats. Always going for optics and ground breaking moments and then getting totalled because they couldn't relate to anyone. I wish we lived in a world where she could have a chance but this isn't it, at least yet

24. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

The Republicans are all just as elitist and wealthy as the liberal side but they figured out how to appeal to that joe average in middle America and even those rural types in the south. Even if they have never ever been in their place. It's manipulative but it works.

25. chaseter

chaseter Esteemed Member

You are correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.